Dragon's Mist Fighter Practice, 7/24/2011, 12:00 pm

  • scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 22 9:55 AM
      Reminder from: scanewcomers Yahoo! Group

      Title: Dragon's Mist Fighter Practice

      Date: Sunday July 24, 2011
      Time: 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
      Repeats: This event repeats every week.
      Next reminder: The next reminder for this event will be sent in 1 day, 12 hours, 4 minutes.
      Location: Witch Hazel Elementary School
      Street: SE Davis Rd
      City State Zip: Hillsboro, OR
      Notes: Noon to whenever. Come One Come All.
      Last Sunday of the month is scheduled War Practice

      Marshal (at) dragonsmist Daht org for information.

    • Dave Roland
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 22 11:45 AM
        Can I too put up every fighter practice and/or other SCA activity that I go to here on the board? That would only be about ten more?

        Otherwise might I suggest a moratorium on any such kinds of announcements? I am of course happy to see that people are enthusiastic and happy about the activities that they participate in and duly wish to include others.

        This is after all how we grow the SCA.

        However, what is happening at Witch Hazel Elementary in Hillsboro, Oregon is of use only to those people who can make it to the activity.

        I submit that this may be of interest to those as far away as Portland, Oregon but not at likely to be of interest to anyone in say Ashland, Oregon a beautiful town I have traveled through and enjoyed Shakespeare at.

        Indeed if one is 100 miles or possibly even up to 150 miles from there they might have an interest in the activity.

        Further I would suggest the possibility that perhaps any group that caters to those who are by definition mostly going to be outside of that radius, should not be subjected to regular announcements about that activity. This group falls into that category.

        Should someone ask about an activity in your area, where ever in the world that might be, then by all means I would support you giving them that information on a by request basis only.

        Just my humble, and rather bothered, opinion.

        Lord Ian the Green in the Kingdom of the Middle, not in An Tir where the announced activity is taking place.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Reminder from: scanewcomers Yahoo! Group
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/cal
        >
        > Dragon's Mist Fighter Practice
        > Sunday July 24, 2011
        > 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
        > (This event repeats every week.)
        > (The next reminder for this event will be sent in 1 day, 12 hours, 4 minutes.)
        > Location: Witch Hazel Elementary School
        > Street: SE Davis Rd
        > City State Zip: Hillsboro, OR
        >
        > Notes:
        > Noon to whenever. Come One Come All.
        > Last Sunday of the month is scheduled War Practice
        >
        > Marshal (at) dragonsmist Daht org for information.
        >

        > All Rights Reserved
        > Copyright © 2011
        > Yahoo! Inc.
        > http://www.yahoo.com
        >
        > Privacy Policy:
        > http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us
        >
        > Terms of Service:
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • christopher chastain
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 22 11:56 AM
          Im in Trimaris, I dont need to know about someone else's rainy fighter practice

          Yours in Humble Service,
          Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

          The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?

          It's not who I am underneath, it's my actions that define me

          ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          From: ianthegreen01@...
          Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 18:45:20 +0000
          Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Dragon's Mist Fighter Practice, 7/24/2011, 12:00 pm

          Can I too put up every fighter practice and/or other SCA activity that I go to here on the board? That would only be about ten more?

          Otherwise might I suggest a moratorium on any such kinds of announcements? I am of course happy to see that people are enthusiastic and happy about the activities that they participate in and duly wish to include others.

          This is after all how we grow the SCA.

          However, what is happening at Witch Hazel Elementary in Hillsboro, Oregon is of use only to those people who can make it to the activity.

          I submit that this may be of interest to those as far away as Portland, Oregon but not at likely to be of interest to anyone in say Ashland, Oregon a beautiful town I have traveled through and enjoyed Shakespeare at.

          Indeed if one is 100 miles or possibly even up to 150 miles from there they might have an interest in the activity.

          Further I would suggest the possibility that perhaps any group that caters to those who are by definition mostly going to be outside of that radius, should not be subjected to regular announcements about that activity. This group falls into that category.

          Should someone ask about an activity in your area, where ever in the world that might be, then by all means I would support you giving them that information on a by request basis only.

          Just my humble, and rather bothered, opinion.

          Lord Ian the Green in the Kingdom of the Middle, not in An Tir where the announced activity is taking place.

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > Reminder from: scanewcomers Yahoo! Group
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/cal
          >
          > Dragon's Mist Fighter Practice
          > Sunday July 24, 2011
          > 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
          > (This event repeats every week.)
          > (The next reminder for this event will be sent in 1 day, 12 hours, 4 minutes.)
          > Location: Witch Hazel Elementary School
          > Street: SE Davis Rd
          > City State Zip: Hillsboro, OR
          >
          > Notes:
          > Noon to whenever. Come One Come All.
          > Last Sunday of the month is scheduled War Practice
          >
          > Marshal (at) dragonsmist Daht org for information.
          >

          > All Rights Reserved
          > Copyright � 2011
          > Yahoo! Inc.
          > http://www.yahoo.com
          >
          > Privacy Policy:
          > http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us
          >
          > Terms of Service:
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • shandra_
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 22 12:05 PM
            I'm sure it was the error of someone putting the info on the wrong calendar (I'm moderator for couple different yahoo groups (not all SCA related) and have done the same thing, not realizing which group's page I was on).

            The moderator/owner of the list will have to delete these announcements from the calendar.

            ~Shandra

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Roland" <ianthegreen01@...> wrote:

            > Can I too put up every fighter practice and/or other SCA activity that I go to here on the board? That would only be about ten more?
            >
            > Otherwise might I suggest a moratorium on any such kinds of announcements? I am of course happy to see that people are enthusiastic and happy about the activities that they participate in and duly wish to include others.
            >
            > This is after all how we grow the SCA.
            >
            > However, what is happening at Witch Hazel Elementary in Hillsboro, Oregon is of use only to those people who can make it to the activity.
            >
            > I submit that this may be of interest to those as far away as Portland, Oregon but not at likely to be of interest to anyone in say Ashland, Oregon a beautiful town I have traveled through and enjoyed Shakespeare at.
            >
            > Indeed if one is 100 miles or possibly even up to 150 miles from there they might have an interest in the activity.
            >
            > Further I would suggest the possibility that perhaps any group that caters to those who are by definition mostly going to be outside of that radius, should not be subjected to regular announcements about that activity. This group falls into that category.
            >
            > Should someone ask about an activity in your area, where ever in the world that might be, then by all means I would support you giving them that information on a by request basis only.
            >
            > Just my humble, and rather bothered, opinion.
            >
            > Lord Ian the Green in the Kingdom of the Middle, not in An Tir where the announced activity is taking place.
            >
            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            > >
            > > Reminder from: scanewcomers Yahoo! Group
            > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/cal
          • Andronikos
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 23 8:07 PM
              My apologies all, I don't recall setting this up on this list. I set it up on our own local list and NewcomersPortland. They have been deleted.

              Shadowdragonne

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 23 8:10 PM
                I didn't set it up on this list- i just went through it for the last couple months and this is the first time it has been posted- I set that announcement up over 4 months ago. decidedly odd.

                Andronikos Belisariou

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Andronikos" <shadowdragonne@...> wrote:

                > My apologies all, I don't recall setting this up on this list. I set it up on our own local list and NewcomersPortland. They have been deleted.
                >
                > Shadowdragonne
                >

                > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, shandra_ <no_reply@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm sure it was the error of someone putting the info on the wrong calendar (I'm moderator for couple different yahoo groups (not all SCA related) and have done the same thing, not realizing which group's page I was on).
                > >
                > > The moderator/owner of the list will have to delete these announcements from the calendar.
                > >
                > > ~Shandra
                > >
                > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Roland" <ianthegreen01@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Can I too put up every fighter practice and/or other SCA activity that I go to here on the board? That would only be about ten more?
                > > >
                > > > Otherwise might I suggest a moratorium on any such kinds of announcements? I am of course happy to see that people are enthusiastic and happy about the activities that they participate in and duly wish to include others.
                > > >
                > > > This is after all how we grow the SCA.
                > > >
                > > > However, what is happening at Witch Hazel Elementary in Hillsboro, Oregon is of use only to those people who can make it to the activity.
                > > >
                > > > I submit that this may be of interest to those as far away as Portland, Oregon but not at likely to be of interest to anyone in say Ashland, Oregon a beautiful town I have traveled through and enjoyed Shakespeare at.
                > > >
                > > > Indeed if one is 100 miles or possibly even up to 150 miles from there they might have an interest in the activity.
                > > >
                > > > Further I would suggest the possibility that perhaps any group that caters to those who are by definition mostly going to be outside of that radius, should not be subjected to regular announcements about that activity. This group falls into that category.
                > > >
                > > > Should someone ask about an activity in your area, where ever in the world that might be, then by all means I would support you giving them that information on a by request basis only.
                > > >
                > > > Just my humble, and rather bothered, opinion.
                > > >
                > > > Lord Ian the Green in the Kingdom of the Middle, not in An Tir where the announced activity is taking place.

              • Bill Toscano
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 23 8:16 PM
                  And that, folks, is why a private note would have been a much better way to
                  approach this.

                  We need to model behaviors.

                  We need to be polite.

                  Liam

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 23 10:06 PM
                    Just as a side comment, as I dont post here often. I am very happy I did not see the preceding post prior to dealing with this issue. I am certain that the entire Middle Kingdom would be proud to claim you as their own, "Lord" Ian the Green. Such kindness and discretion are a rare and wonderful sight to see. Warms the cockles it does it does.

                    YIS

                    Kûrios Andronikos Belisariou
                    Lozengy gules and or, two griffins addorsed tails entwined sable

                    Librarian, Chamberlain and Deputy Seneschal of Dragons Mist

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Roland" <ianthegreen01@...> wrote:

                    > Can I too put up every fighter practice and/or other SCA activity that I go to here on the board? That would only be about ten more?
                    >
                    > Otherwise might I suggest a moratorium on any such kinds of announcements? I am of course happy to see that people are enthusiastic and happy about the activities that they participate in and duly wish to include others.
                    >
                    > This is after all how we grow the SCA.
                    >
                    > However, what is happening at Witch Hazel Elementary in Hillsboro, Oregon is of use only to those people who can make it to the activity.
                    >
                    > I submit that this may be of interest to those as far away as Portland, Oregon but not at likely to be of interest to anyone in say Ashland, Oregon a beautiful town I have traveled through and enjoyed Shakespeare at.
                    >
                    > Indeed if one is 100 miles or possibly even up to 150 miles from there they might have an interest in the activity.
                    >
                    > Further I would suggest the possibility that perhaps any group that caters to those who are by definition mostly going to be outside of that radius, should not be subjected to regular announcements about that activity. This group falls into that category.
                    >
                    > Should someone ask about an activity in your area, where ever in the world that might be, then by all means I would support you giving them that information on a by request basis only.
                    >
                    > Just my humble, and rather bothered, opinion.
                    >
                    > Lord Ian the Green in the Kingdom of the Middle, not in An Tir where the announced activity is taking place.
                    >
                    > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Reminder from: scanewcomers Yahoo! Group
                    > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scanewcomers/cal
                    > >
                    > > Dragon's Mist Fighter Practice
                    > > Sunday July 24, 2011
                    > > 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
                    > > (This event repeats every week.)
                    > > (The next reminder for this event will be sent in 1 day, 12 hours, 4 minutes.)
                    > > Location: Witch Hazel Elementary School
                    > > Street: SE Davis Rd
                    > > City State Zip: Hillsboro, OR
                    > >
                    > > Notes:
                    > > Noon to whenever. Come One Come All.
                    > > Last Sunday of the month is scheduled War Practice
                    > >
                    > > Marshal (at) dragonsmist Daht org for information.
                    > >

                    > > All Rights Reserved
                    > > Copyright © 2011
                    > > Yahoo! Inc.
                    > > http://www.yahoo.com
                    > >
                    > > Privacy Policy:
                    > > http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us
                    > >
                    > > Terms of Service:
                    > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Ian the Green
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 24 4:50 AM
                      I will note that private messages were sent more than two weeks ago. I have
                      no way to know if they were lost in the ether of cyberspace or whatnot. I
                      also will note that I finally sent messages using Yahoo! Messenger prior to
                      posting here on the list.

                      Should any feathers have been ruffled I do sincerely apologize.

                      Lord Ian the Green, APF, CCK, AoA, APFy, ADF,

                      Captain in the Thieves of Hearts,
                      Apprentice to Mistress Magdalena von der Plesse
                      Foster-Apprentice to Master Llewellyn ap Tiernon

                      On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Bill Toscano <liamstliam@...> wrote:

                      > And that, folks, is why a private note would have been a much better way to
                      > approach this.
                      >
                      > We need to model behaviors.
                      >
                      > We need to be polite.
                      >
                      > Liam
                      >

                      > On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Andronikos <shadowdragonne@...
                      > >wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > My apologies all, I don't recall setting this up on this list. I set it
                      > up
                      > > on our own local list and NewcomersPortland. They have been deleted.
                      > >
                      > > Shadowdragonne
                      > >
                      > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, shandra_ <no_reply@...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm sure it was the error of someone putting the info on the wrong
                      > > calendar (I'm moderator for couple different yahoo groups (not all SCA
                      > > related) and have done the same thing, not realizing which group's page I
                      > > was on).
                      > > >
                      > > > The moderator/owner of the list will have to delete these announcements
                      > > from the calendar.
                      > > >
                      > > > ~Shandra
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Roland" <ianthegreen01@>

                      > that
                      > > I go to here on the board? That would only be about ten more?

                      > > announcements? I am of course happy to see that people are enthusiastic
                      > and
                      > > happy about the activities that they participate in and duly wish to
                      > include
                      > > others.

                      > > Oregon is of use only to those people who can make it to the activity.

                      > Portland,
                      > > Oregon but not at likely to be of interest to anyone in say Ashland,
                      > Oregon
                      > > a beautiful town I have traveled through and enjoyed Shakespeare at.

                      > there
                      > > they might have an interest in the activity.

                      > > caters to those who are by definition mostly going to be outside of that
                      > > radius, should not be subjected to regular announcements about that
                      > > activity. This group falls into that category.

                      > > world that might be, then by all means I would support you giving them
                      > that
                      > > information on a by request basis only.

                      > > the announced activity is taking place.

                      Yours In Service,

                      Lord Ian the Green, APF, CCK, AoA, APFy (Thieves of Hearts), ADF (Thieves of
                      Hearts), Captain in the Thieves of Hearts

                    • Bill Toscano
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 24 4:52 AM
                        My apologies, Captain.

                        Those things do happen.

                        Liam

                        On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Ian the Green <ianthegreen01@...>wrote:

> [...]
                        > > > a beautiful town I have traveled through and enjoyed Shakespeare at.

                        > > there
                        > > > they might have an interest in the activity.

                        > > > caters to those who are by definition mostly going to be outside of
                        > that
                        > > > radius, should not be subjected to regular announcements about that
                        > > > activity. This group falls into that category.

                        > the
                        > > > world that might be, then by all means I would support you giving them
                        > > that
                        > > > information on a by request basis only.

                        > where
                        > > > the announced activity is taking place.

                        > --
                        > Yours In Service,
                        >
                        > Lord Ian the Green, APF, CCK, AoA, APFy (Thieves of Hearts), ADF (Thieves
                        > of
                        > Hearts), Captain in the Thieves of Hearts

                      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 24 9:47 AM
                          On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 07:50 -0400, Ian the Green wrote:
                          > I will note that private messages were sent more than two weeks ago.
                          > I have
                          > no way to know if they were lost in the ether of cyberspace or
                          > whatnot. I
                          > also will note that I finally sent messages using Yahoo! Messenger
                          > prior to
                          > posting here on the list.
                          >
                          > Should any feathers have been ruffled I do sincerely apologize.

                          Good gentles of the list,

                          As your Moderator, I must apologize for my lack of attentiveness the
                          past few weeks, due to real-life work and family-health issues. I
                          normally would have (gently) stepped in before now. I have been paying
                          attention only to approving new members and nuking spammers, and have
                          not been reading the list content as closely as I normally do.

                          I am stepping in now for the sake of posting some general guidelines on
                          this issue. As far as I'm concerned, as moderator, the *current* issue
                          has been resolved in a reasonably diplomatic fashion, so none of the
                          following is intended, even gently, as a criticism of any person.
                          Rather, it's meant to be "forward looking" to avoid problems in the
                          future. If anyone deserves criticism, it is I, for being remiss in my
                          moderator's duty.

                          To summarize the policy I would request on the list:

                          * Local activity announcements are probably not appropriate since, as
                          Ian has pointed out, this is an international list, and only a very
                          few people on this list would be close enough to be able to attend.
                          Exceptions should be made for local activities specifically aimed at
                          *newcomers*, or locally-sponsored events that do expect to attract
                          a wider attendance because of (for example) a very rare guest
                          instructor, etc. ("The Queen of England will visit the Shire of
                          Valleydale next week to teach us about courtly behavior...")

                          * For concerns about a message or messages posted to the list, the
                          first course of action should be a private reply to the poster,
                          or a private message to the moderators. One of the principles
                          taught in the Dale Carnegie course is that praise can often be
                          given publicly, because hardly anyone minds "looking good" in front
                          of others, but criticism, however gentle, is best done privately
                          so as not to put the other person on the defensive. (I acknowledge
                          Lord Ian's post that he did send private messages this time -- again,
                          my point is meant to be forward-looking, not reactive to the past.)

                          EXCEPTION: For situations in which overt *spam* is posted to the
                          list, refer the matter directly to the moderators if they do not
                          post an announcement shortly after the spam indicating that it has
                          already been dealt with. Do wait a little while, because this is
                          a *large* list, and there's no need for 500+ people to notify the
                          moderators about each spam. Usually we catch them fairly quickly
                          on our own, but do let us know if we have missed one. Remember, we
                          have jobs and families too, so we aren't watching the list every
                          moment.

                          * I also note that the original poster says the notices were an
                          accident. Accidents happen, and as a moderator it has never been
                          my policy to react harshly to a mistake that is willingly
                          corrected. In certain cases, such as a "phished" email account that
                          is being used for spamming, I will react quickly with "moderated
                          posting status" to protect the list, but this is not a punitive
                          action, just a remedy to protect others while the member takes care
                          of the problem with their account.

                          * In this Internet age, I ask everyone to remember that email can be
                          a very imprecise medium for emotional context, and is utterly lacking
                          in eye contact and body language cues. Time and time again, we have
                          all learned the hard way that a gently-intentioned remark in email
                          can be misunderstood because of the lack of cues our minds are used
                          to seeing in face-to-face conversations. Please continue to be kind
                          and courteous (as this list overwhelmingly tends to be), and if you
                          find yourself taking offense, ask yourself before reacting, if the
                          other person really intended offense, or if perhaps there is a
                          misunderstanding caused by email's limitations.

                          Once again, I am pleased to note that in my moderating-negligence the
                          list has essentially resolved things cordially. I continue to be honored
                          to serve as moderator of a list that, while it is quite large in
                          membership count, is consistently among the most courteous-toned lists
                          to which I have ever subscribed. You are all to be commended, and I ask
                          your forgiveness for being "asleep at the switch" these past few days.

                          Kind regards,

                          Justin
                          List Moderator

                          fesswise reversed sable.

                          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                        • Andronikos
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 24 7:44 PM
                            This is the last comment I will make on the subject.

                            I would like to point out that with no other incidence of our fighter practice announcement popping up here prior to this one, and it having happened two days ago, why would you need to send me private messages more than two weeks ago? I suppose other incidences could have been removed by a moderator, but considering the amount of commentary generated on this one alone I don't think all traces would have disappeared. Nor could I detect a number of unexplainable missing (deleted) posts. You may note they are all numbered.

                            Secondly, the time stamp on my computer for your original yahoo message to me, which I will note was simply a random hello from you with no additional information, was 11:36am pacific time on the 22nd. Your post on the list here was at 11:45am pac time on the 22nd. You actually asked me to remove the post on the 23rd at 1:25pm pac time. I removed it as soon as I saw it was here.

                            I understand that having that announcement pop up was annoying. I do not know why it showed up here- not only was it only supposed to be on our local list, it was an old version of that announcement. The time, for those of you interested, is actually 2:00pm to 6:00pm. I made the original announcement over 4 months ago and changed it around 2 months ago. So, again, I apologize for the inconvenience of the useless information you all received.

                            I will be monitoring this list closely for the next week or three to make sure the announcement doesn't come back, and if it does I will contact Yahoo and ask them to look into it.

                            My apologies for the inconvenience, as far as I am concerned this subject is closed.

                            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Ian the Green <ianthegreen01@...> wrote:

                            > I will note that private messages were sent more than two weeks ago. I have
                            > no way to know if they were lost in the ether of cyberspace or whatnot. I
                            > also will note that I finally sent messages using Yahoo! Messenger prior to
                            > posting here on the list.
                            >
                            > Should any feathers have been ruffled I do sincerely apologize.
                            >
                            > Lord Ian the Green, APF, CCK, AoA, APFy, ADF,
                            >
                            > Captain in the Thieves of Hearts,
                            > Apprentice to Mistress Magdalena von der Plesse
                            > Foster-Apprentice to Master Llewellyn ap Tiernon
                            >
                            > On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Bill Toscano <liamstliam@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > And that, folks, is why a private note would have been a much better way to
                            > > approach this.
                            > >
                            > > We need to model behaviors.
                            > >
                            > > We need to be polite.
                            > >
                            > > Liam
                            > >

                            > > On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Andronikos <shadowdragonne@...
                            > > >wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > **
                            > > >

                            > > > My apologies all, I don't recall setting this up on this list. I set it
                            > > up
                            > > > on our own local list and NewcomersPortland. They have been deleted.
                            > > >
                            > > > Shadowdragonne

                            > > > calendar (I'm moderator for couple different yahoo groups (not all SCA
                            > > > related) and have done the same thing, not realizing which group's page I
                            > > > was on).

                            > > > from the calendar.

                            > > that
                            > > > I go to here on the board? That would only be about ten more?

                            > > > announcements? I am of course happy to see that people are enthusiastic
                            > > and
                            > > > happy about the activities that they participate in and duly wish to
                            > > include
                            > > > others.

                            > > > Oregon is of use only to those people who can make it to the activity.

                            > > Portland,
                            > > > Oregon but not at likely to be of interest to anyone in say Ashland,
                            > > Oregon
                            > > > a beautiful town I have traveled through and enjoyed Shakespeare at.

                            > > there
                            > > > they might have an interest in the activity.

                            > > > caters to those who are by definition mostly going to be outside of that
                            > > > radius, should not be subjected to regular announcements about that
                            > > > activity. This group falls into that category.

                            > > > world that might be, then by all means I would support you giving them
                            > > that
                            > > > information on a by request basis only.

                            > > > the announced activity is taking place.

                            > > scanewcomers@...:

                            > --
                            > Yours In Service,
                            >
                            > Lord Ian the Green, APF, CCK, AoA, APFy (Thieves of Hearts), ADF (Thieves of
                            > Hearts), Captain in the Thieves of Hearts
                            >
                            > http://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/
                            >
                            > Ian's Flickr account <http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianthegreen/>

                          • Kyla
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 24 8:07 PM
                              I think the answer is that Yahoo and Mother Nature have been playing silly
                              buggers with us.
                              I have 3 of these fighter practice announcements in my inbox; all of them
                              for the same July 17th, sent 7/16, 7/18 and 7/24.

                              Anyone not in the midwest may not be aware that the past couple of weeks
                              have been pretty interesting in the midwest, with power outages and some
                              flooding throughout the Chicagoland area, and beyond due to several intense
                              storms.
                              As a result, emails have been delayed, sometimes by more than a week, and
                              sent multiple times.
                              There will probably be more extremely delayed emails showing up on various
                              Yahoo lists - take a glance at when they were sent, and don't blame the
                              sender for a technological problem way beyond their control.

                              Tabitha Pennywarden
                              Ravenslake, Midlands
                              Middle Kingdom

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > > Oregon
                              > > > a beautiful town I have traveled through and enjoyed Shakespeare at.

                              > > there
                              > > > they might have an interest in the activity.

                              > > > caters to those who are by definition mostly going to be outside of
                              that
                              > > > radius, should not be subjected to regular announcements about that
                              > > > activity. This group falls into that category.

                              > > > world that might be, then by all means I would support you giving
                              them
                              > > that
                              > > > information on a by request basis only.

                              > > > the announced activity is taking place.

                              > > scanewcomers@...:

                              > --
                              > Yours In Service,
                              >
                              > Lord Ian the Green, APF, CCK, AoA, APFy (Thieves of Hearts), ADF
                              (Thieves of
                              > Hearts), Captain in the Thieves of Hearts

                            • Chuck Burke
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 24 8:09 PM
                                As one who is very lazy about cleaning out his Inbox, even the one that
                                gets most of the SCA mailing list messages, I can tell you that the
                                notice for the Dragon's Mist practice did also appear on July 18,
                                advertising the first practice on July 17. No, that is not a typo, the
                                alert was sent after the date of the event. I do not have any other
                                occurrences of this event alert in my Inbox.

                                Judging from the circumstances you have described, and the odd timing of
                                the July 17 alert, I think Yahoo somehow confused your Newcomers
                                Portland list's calendar with the SCANewcomers group calendar, and sent
                                the belated alert.

                                No blood, no foul.

                                Dragos Pelikanos
                                "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 24 8:37 PM
                                  Ok well evidently I AM a blind idiot- I passed over those other two announcements without even seeing them at least three times looking for exactly them. This is why I let my lady do online searches for me.

                                  Well I apologize for my snarkyness because it obviously wasn't the first time it has happened, which now explains a bit of the exasperation some of you were feeling. Problem fixed and I shall go hang my head in shame....:P

                                  YIS

                                  His Idiot Lordship, Andronikos Belisariou