Re: New Member with B3R

  • wren378
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 20, 2011
      I didn't realize there was a St. Louis SCA group. I have been going to the Metro East group off and on. Do you have contact information for this group? I thought the Missouri group met in Kansas City, MO or way over there. If you are interested in Metro East group just google "shattered crystal sca" and you will get their home page. I highly recommend the Crystal Ball. It's in early November this year. And there is an Arts and Sciences weekend in September at Camp DuBois in Wood River, IL. Hope to see you around!

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tisha" <lady_tisha_elf@...> wrote:

      > I have been going to meetings and stuff at B3R in St louis, Mo. And i am trying to find ways to stay involved as much as i can because i just love SCA. Can some one give me advice on selecting a name and hearldry.
      >

      > Tisha

    • Bill Toscano
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 20, 2011
        If you want to fence, you need to go to Shattered Crystal, because that's
        the Midrealm and Barony of Three Rivers, because it's in Calontir, does not.

        Liam

      • Tisha elf
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 20, 2011
          here is the link to the B3R meeting events

          Tisha

          ________________________________
          I didn't realize there was a St. Louis SCA group. I have been going to the Metro East group off and on. Do you have contact information for this group? I thought the Missouri group met in Kansas City, MO or way over there. If you are interested in Metro East group just google "shattered crystal sca" and you will get their home page. I highly recommend the Crystal Ball. It's in early November this year. And there is an Arts and Sciences weekend in September at Camp DuBois in Wood River, IL. Hope to see you around!

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tisha" <lady_tisha_elf@...> wrote:

          > I have been going to meetings and stuff at B3R in St louis, Mo. And i am trying to find ways to stay involved as much as i can because i just love SCA. Can some one give me advice on selecting a name and hearldry.
          >

          > Tisha

        • Tisha elf
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 20, 2011
            I dont plan on doing any fighting. I enjoy the lady like arts and science.

            Tisha

            ________________________________
            If you want to fence, you need to go to Shattered Crystal, because that's
            the Midrealm and Barony of Three Rivers, because it's in Calontir, does not.

            Liam

          • Stefan li Rous
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 20, 2011
              Tisha asked:
              <<< I have been going to meetings and stuff at B3R in St louis, Mo.
              And i am trying to find ways to stay involved as much as i can because
              i just love SCA. Can some one give me advice on selecting a name and
              hearldry. >>>

              What things got you interested in the SCA in the first place? Was it
              the idea of a persona and your own personal heraldry? Or are you doing
              these just to get started in the SCA? If they aren't a main interest,
              then I think you can wait awhile and figure out which cultures or
              times you might be most interested in.

              I would recommend coming up with a first name, reasonably soon. Else,
              your group might come up with one for you.

              You might find some of the files in the NEWCOMERS section of the
              Florilegium to be of use to you. You can find the address in my
              signature line below.

              For instance:
              Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for
              Newcomers" by Dietmar Reinhart von Straubing and Malachias von
              Morgenstern.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

              SCA-Personas-art (16K) 6/ 9/01 "On Choosing a Name and a Persona; A
              Quick and Dirty Guide" by Ld. Daniel Raoul Le Vascon du Navarreí.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-Personas-art.html

              If you can give us an idea of what your SCA interests might be or
              activities that you might like to get involved in, I'm sure the folks
              here can answer questions or give you some pointers to info about
              those activities. There are many different facets of the SCA that you
              can get involved in, and this can change as you try out new things.
              This is one of the things that has kept people in the Society for 10,
              20, 30 or more years.

              Stefan

              --------
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
            • Ian the Green
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 21, 2011
                //I would recommend coming up with a first name, reasonably soon. Else,
                your group might come up with one for you.//

                This is beyond a pet peeve for me. Even joking about it is really a bad
                idea as well for it puts unwanted and unneeded pressure on a newcomer.

                Really thought it is utterly unacceptable in my mind for people to force
                someone to take a name that they have not chosen for themselves in the SCA.
                I tell each and everyone of my newcomers that they should take the time to
                figure out what they like and what they want to do in the SCA and then pick
                a name that will fit.

                I also let them know that in my experience in the SCA most newcomers will
                change their name once or twice before settling on an SCA name for
                themselves. If for some reason some group of people are so unchivalrous as
                to try to force them to take a name they are more than welcome to completely
                ignore the unwanted name that has been foisted upon them against their will.

                As the Chatelain I am most happy to assist them in picking a name and to
                point them to some name resources that they will enjoy.

                I have yet to have a newcomer take more than a year with this approach and
                after having the freedom to actually choose their own name and switch it up,
                they truly have a name that they enjoy and love being called.

                I strongly support taking your time in the SCA to get your feet under you.
                I suggest the following for all of my newcomers.

                https://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/home/for-sca-newcomers/newcomeradviceonthesca

                Of course the specifics do change for each person but general advice is just
                that general. But as to the name thing. Don't ever let anyone bully you
                into a name and never accept a name that is trying to be forced upon you.

                Do take the time to find a name you will love and enjoy.

                Ian the Green

              • Tisha elf
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 21, 2011
                  Well i am really into genealogy and just found out that one branch in the family has a monk who lived in 1130. I also traced another branch of the family back to the isle of Arran in Scotland in 1645, not quite period but close. I have been playing around making garb, 3 t-tunics, a viking apron dress and a couple of others. I am also interested in food, and other , what i call lady like presuits. I feel like i live in the wrong age, althought i dont think i really want to go back and live in the middle ages, but i enjoy playing at it. I am looking into names, i would like to use Abbatissa which means they could still call me tissa and i would remember to answer to it better. (tisha is a nick name not my real name). A friend in one of my FB game got me started in SCA. She gave me the link and i went to a meeting. and she told me the people in SCA are really great people and from what i have see they are. they have all be great to me. My only regret is
                  that i have to travel 2 hours to go to meeting or events. I live in CapeGirardeau, Mo and i have yet to find any group in southeast missouri.

                  Tisha

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 21, 2011
                    I know what you mean with the name thing, but with me my heart and soul is Scottish. Although i like the early periods i think the one that would be best for me in the early 1300. In my B3R no one has pushed me for a name they have been a very good group, even thought i dont see them but once a month. But i am sure as i attend more events i will get to know them better.

                    One thing on my to do list is to create a small tapersry. Any suggestion on where i should look or what i should read to learn how to make one of my own/

                    Tisha

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 22, 2011
                      I'm sure you know your State better than I do.

                      You live in the Kingdom of Calontir.

                      Here is their listing of groups in Missouri.

                      http://seneschal.calontir.org/groups.php#missouri

                      However, as you live close to the borders of Illinois and Kentucky I might
                      suggest you look up groups in those States. They belong to the Kingdom
                      called The Middle Kingdom

                      The group called the Shire of Far Reaches is now officially defunct and
                      would have been the closest in Illinois. Now Shattered Crystal might be
                      able to let you know about folks close you in Illinois. The Barony of
                      Shattered Crystal is:

                      http://www.shatteredcrystal.org/scofficers.htm

                      I wish you the best of luck.

                      Ian

                      On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Tisha elf <lady_tisha_elf@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Well i am really into genealogy and just found out that one branch in the
                      > family has a monk who lived in 1130. I also traced another branch of the
                      > family back to the isle of Arran in Scotland in 1645, not quite period but
                      > close. I have been playing around making garb, 3 t-tunics, a viking apron
                      > dress and a couple of others. I am also interested in food, and other , what
                      > i call lady like presuits. I feel like i live in the wrong age, althought i
                      > dont think i really want to go back and live in the middle ages, but i enjoy
                      > playing at it. I am looking into names, i would like to use Abbatissa which
                      > means they could still call me tissa and i would remember to answer to it
                      > better. (tisha is a nick name not my real name). A friend in one of my FB
                      > game got me started in SCA. She gave me the link and i went to a meeting.
                      > and she told me the people in SCA are really great people and from what i
                      > have see they are. they have all be great to me. My only regret is
                      > that i have to travel 2 hours to go to meeting or events. I live in
                      > CapeGirardeau, Mo and i have yet to find any group in southeast missouri.
                      >

                      > Tisha

                      Yours In Service,

                      Lord Ian the Green, APF, CCK, AoA, APFy (Thieves of Hearts), ADF (Thieves of
                      Hearts), Captain in the Thieves of Hearts