Re: Saludos from Puerto Rico

  • SoftcombatGamesPR
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 15, 2011
      Thanks everyone for all the help,clarifications and tips. I m still a little lost on the organization structure of the SCA and how I may be able to start a group over here...so I m trying to read as much as I can , as fast as I can .And I have a whole bunch of question I may be posting afterwards.
      Thanks again,
      Jose

      > <<< I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA
      > website
      > 'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is
      > it in
      > with the other countries.
      > Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
      > Does someone on this list know how to go about that? >>>
      >
      > I assume that that is because, right now, there are no SCA groups in
      > Puerto Rico. There are large portions of the world that aren't claimed
      > by any kingdom. Just as in most kingdoms there are large blank areas,
      > that are kingdom lands and not claimed by any specific groups.
      >
      > There are occasionally SCA groups or individuals at the Antarctic
      > bases and at the International Space Station. But these groups come
      > and go, so I wouldn't expect them to be on the SCA website, either.
      >
      > I've forgotten who actually has the most valid claim to Antarctica,
      > but I've heard three different claims. They are in the Florilegium.
      > The ISS is claimed by Ansteorra, since Richard Garriot/Don Shamino,
      > who bought his way up there recently for a week, also carried the
      > original "white scarf" given to Don Tivar and an Ansteorra flag with
      > him and other such items, but I can't remember the rest of the details
      > right now.
      >
      > Stefan
      >
      > --------

    • SoftcombatGamesPR
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 25, 2011
        I think Trimaris shall have the claim over Puerto Rico, since is basicly the nearest kingdom , right? Or it doesn t work that way?
        Att
        Jose

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > California and Australia with the West Kingdom, the original SCA group
        > > in northern California.
        > >
        > > You might find these files in the SCA-INC section of my Florilegium
        > > website to be of use:
        > > new-groups-msg (17K) 6/11/05 Procedures and advice on starting new SCA
        > > groups.
        > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/new-groups-msg.html
        > > Start-a-Group-art (16K) 1/12/10 "Forming a New SCA Branch: A Guide to
        > > Getting Started" by Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin.
        > >
        > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/Start-a-Group-art.html
        > >
        > > As a newcomer to the SCA you might also enjoy some of the files in the
        > > NEWCOMERS section.
        > >
        > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html
        > >
        > > You don't have to have an official group to participate in the SCA, an
        > > unofficial household often works, and I recommend that for many small
        > > groups since trying to form an official group with its minimum number
        > > of officers can strain a small group and lead to job swapping as terms
        > > expire, with the result that folks get burned out.
        > >
        > > However a household can still travel to adjacent areas and play with
        > > them. That's probably rather difficult in your situation.
        > >
        > > Most of the literature and documentation about the SCA is likely to be
        > > in English. You obviously speak English, but how about your possible
        > > new members? This doesn't keep your friends from participating the
        > > SCA, but it could make it more difficult.
        > >
        > > Here are another couple of files in the SCA-INC section which would be
        > > a good idea to read.
        > >
        > > recruiting-art (16K) 7/13/02 "On the Recruiting and Retention of New
        > > Members" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
        > >
        > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruiting-art.html
        > >
        > > recruitment-msg (57K) 9/29/10 Recruitment ideas. Bringing in new
        > > members.
        > >
        > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruitment-msg.html
        > >

        > > <<< I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and
        > > kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild
        > > steel and chainmaille... >>>
        > >
        > > We don't practice any of the oriental martial arts, however, having
        > > such knowledge is a big help when trying to learn and use SCA and
        > > medieval sword fighting. You might wish to look at the CRAFTS and the
        > > COMBAT section of the Florilegium for some info and articles on
        > > working with leather and leather armor, as well as making chainmail.
        > >
        > > There are over 2300 different files in the Florilegium on the SCA and
        > > various medieval subjects, so hopefully they can help both you and the
        > > group you wish to start. Although I've never been involved in starting
        > > a group, as I've only lived in one place and the group was old and
        > > established when I joined, please feel free to email me with any
        > > questions.
        > >
        > > Stefan
        > >
        > > --------
        > > THLord Stefan li Rous Barony of Bryn Gwlad Kingdom of Ansteorra

      • SoftcombatGamesPR
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 25, 2011
          Hi,
          Puerto Rico is a US Non-Incorporated Territory governed by a Commonwealth goverment....a messy one at best. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the problem you just noticed Kyla.
          Att
          José

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kyla" <skycat@...> wrote:

          > With that information, here is the Outlands website, with links for
          > officers - like chatelaine/hospitaler and seneschal - who should be able to
          > answer some of your questions and help you get started with your own group.
          >
          > http://www.outlands.org/
          > http://www.outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=71 hospitaler's page.
          >
          > I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA website
          > 'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is it in
          > with the other countries.
          > Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
          > Does someone on this list know how to go about that?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Tabitha Pennywarden
          > Ravenslake, Midlands
          > Middle Kingdom

        • robert.huttinger
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 24, 2013

            This is an old post, but I will be moving to PR in a year. If nobody stops me I will claim these lands for Atlantia! JK. ok kinda not... Anyway, If there is a PR contingent there, I would love to meet you all and bring some state-side flavor to any active community there!

          • hippy_dippy_dancer
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2013
              I have family in pr and lived tthere myself many moon0 ago. As far as I know calaiming it for atlantia might just work if trimaris hasn't som how beeten us to it. How ever I would also point out that there are aircraft carriers that are registered as cantons in va and there is a large naval base in pR. It is possible some connections might be discovered that way

              From: <camerondegrey@...>
              Sender: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
              Date: 24 Nov 2013 19:00:52 -0800
              To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>