Households?

  • Raoul D Aramitz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 12, 2011
      Hey all i have been lurking and learning for quite a while now. I have had a few different households ask if I might be intrested in joining their ranks. My question is what benifits and or drawbacks are there in joining a household? I have done some research into each of the households and found a few I think my interests and skills fit into. I am not sure if I would be better off as an individual or as a member of a household.
      If it helps I am an avid fencer, a brewer and cook. I also have intrests in learning Heavy Weapons, Archery and a few more of the Arts and Sciences as well.

      Thanks,

      Raoul D'Aramitz
      Shire of Fearann Na Criche
      Pentamere, Middle Kingdom
    • Bill Toscano
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 13, 2011
        This can be a long and involved answer, and I am sure you will get a wide
        variety of opinions.

        My personal advice would be to decide what it is you want from a household.

        Support for your activities?
        Someone who can teach you to fight/fence/make things?
        A place that hosts great parties?
        A place that regularly camps together at events and has a good food plan?
        A place with like-minded people?
        A household that has a specific peer you would like to work with?
        A service-oriented household?
        A household of local people/non-local people?

        Make that decision, or a couple of them, then look at the household.
        Spend some time with the folks and see what you think.

        Liam

        On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Raoul D Aramitz <arik.riehl@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hey all i have been lurking and learning for quite a while now. I have had
        > a few different households ask if I might be intrested in joining their
        > ranks. My question is what benifits and or drawbacks are there in joining a
        > household? I have done some research into each of the households and found a
        > few I think my interests and skills fit into. I am not sure if I would be
        > better off as an individual or as a member of a household.
        > If it helps I am an avid fencer, a brewer and cook. I also have intrests in
        > learning Heavy Weapons, Archery and a few more of the Arts and Sciences as
        > well.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Raoul D'Aramitz
        > Shire of Fearann Na Criche
        > Pentamere, Middle Kingdom

      • christopher chastain
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2011
          I recommend to hang out with the households for awhile before joining. Make sure it fits to you and you fit with them. The criteria for choosing a household is as unique as the individual. Only you can answer which house to join, all we can honestly do is give advice.

          Yours in Humble Service,
          Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

          The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?

          It's not who I am underneath, it's my actions that define me

          ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

          > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          > From: liamstliam@...
          > Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:33:15 -0400
          > Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Households?
          >
          > This can be a long and involved answer, and I am sure you will get a wide
          > variety of opinions.
          >
          > My personal advice would be to decide what it is you want from a household.
          >
          > Support for your activities?
          > Someone who can teach you to fight/fence/make things?
          > A place that hosts great parties?
          > A place that regularly camps together at events and has a good food plan?
          > A place with like-minded people?
          > A household that has a specific peer you would like to work with?
          > A service-oriented household?
          > A household of local people/non-local people?
          >
          > Make that decision, or a couple of them, then look at the household.
          > Spend some time with the folks and see what you think.
          >
          > Liam
          >

          > On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Raoul D Aramitz <arik.riehl@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hey all i have been lurking and learning for quite a while now. I have had
          > > a few different households ask if I might be intrested in joining their
          > > ranks. My question is what benifits and or drawbacks are there in joining a
          > > household? I have done some research into each of the households and found a
          > > few I think my interests and skills fit into. I am not sure if I would be
          > > better off as an individual or as a member of a household.
          > > If it helps I am an avid fencer, a brewer and cook. I also have intrests in
          > > learning Heavy Weapons, Archery and a few more of the Arts and Sciences as
          > > well.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Raoul D'Aramitz
          > > Shire of Fearann Na Criche
          > > Pentamere, Middle Kingdom

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 13, 2011
            On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 11:40 -0400, christopher chastain wrote:
            > I recommend to hang out with the households for awhile before joining.
            > Make sure it fits to you and you fit with them. The criteria for
            > choosing a household is as unique as the individual. Only you can
            > answer which house to join, all we can honestly do is give advice.

            As a 20+ year member of the SCA, and as co-founder of a household that
            predates my SCA membership, I heartily second this advice.

            Households are great, if they are a good fit for the member. Just be
            aware that joining a household attaches you to a complex social dynamic,
            and this has both good and bad aspects.

            Some households, such as the one to which I belong, are small, and are
            simply small groups of friends who like to spend time together. Others
            are large and formally organized. The advantages of a large household
            are greater resources for camping events, the availability of a fighting
            unit to join, and their political strength if you want to advance along
            the ranks of the SCA. The advantages of a small household are
            informality and fewer rules to follow.

            Both large and small, some households will have expectations of your
            allegiance with regard to SCA combat, being part of the royal staff if
            someone in the household wins Crown Tournament, or being a student to a
            Knight, Laurel, or Pelican (peer). Other households will be more
            informal. Some households will expect that you are exclusively loyal to
            them, to the exclusion of other guilds and so forth, whereas others
            don't care.

            Some households exist and are active only within the context of SCA
            events, while others also incorporate a lot of socializing in the modern
            world.

            I'm not saying one type of household is better than another. I have my
            own preferences, but that is not to say they're the "right" way. What I
            *am* saying is that you need to understand what *your* preferences are,
            and make sure a household you are thinking about joining matches your
            own expectations of what being a household member should mean. If your
            goal is to be part of a prestigious fighting unit, a small informal
            household like mine would be a bad fit for you. If you are averse to
            hierarchy and rules, then a lot of larger peer-led households would be a
            bad fit for you.

            Remember also that joining a household is entirely optional -- many very
            active SCA members choose not to join any household at all. Basically,
            your SCA shire or barony represents the "town" where you live, and a
            household that you join represents (roughly) an adopted family or clan.

            Know your own preferences and goals, know the people and customs in the
            prospective household, and take your time to make sure these two factors
            fit well with one another. Households are not perishable fruit...you can
            take your time about joining one, and it will still be there later after
            you've made a carefully-reasoned decision. :-)

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Stefan li Rous
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 14, 2011
              Raoul D'Aramitz asked:
              <<< My question is what benifits and or drawbacks are there in joining
              a household? I have done some research into each of the households and
              found a few I think my interests and skills fit into. I am not sure if
              I would be better off as an individual or as a member of a household.

              As others have mentioned, there are many different varieties of
              households, formed for many different purposes. Some parts of the
              Known World have lots of households and they can be politically
              powerful, other areas they are lessor known.

              They can also be an occasional thing. I'm part of a household, formed
              mainly to camp together at Pennsic. The members of the household are
              from multiple different kingdoms so we usually don't see each except
              at Pennsic.

              You might be interested in reading this file in the SCA-INC section of
              the Florilegium:
              households-msg (34K) 2/ 5/08 Comments on households in the SCA.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/households-msg.html

              <<< If it helps I am an avid fencer, a brewer and cook. I also have
              intrests in learning Heavy Weapons, Archery and a few more of the Arts
              and Sciences as well.>>>

              There also sections for each of these in the Florilegium, and you
              might enjoy browsing through those sections, as well.

              Stefan

              --------
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
            • Franchesca Bush
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 14, 2011
                I am new, so am not part of a household, though I associate with people from
                a household. I was given a piece of advice before I formally joined the SCA
                and that was to avoid joining a household right away. As I am understanding
                the political nature of the SCA and various households, I can appreciate
                it. Part of of the advice I was given is to find out the expecations of the
                household. From stories I've heard, sometimes the expectations of the
                household towards a new person is too high of a price compared with what
                they offer you. With that in mind, I would really make sure that I felt
                what I got from being attached to a household meet my needs without asking
                more from me in return than what felt fair.

                Franchesca