Pennsic safety and camp sanitation

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2011
      Liam said:
      <<< I have learned something today. Thank you, Justin.

      I did not know where the name Norovirus came from. >>>

      Neither did I. And I've heard tales about some of the "plagues" of
      some of the earlier Pennsics. One of those years, the CDC actually
      sent a letter of commendation to the staff/chirugeons or wrote it up
      in their papers, about how well the group handled the situation.
      Details are in the Florilegium, although I don't have time to dig it
      out right now.

      I mentioned this file in my earlier message:
      P-Sanitation-art (18K) 8/13/09 "Pennsic Sanitation for the Compleat
      Idiot" by Qatagin-u Jajiradai (called Master Jaji)
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-Sanitation-art.html

      Pennsic water tends to have a high iron content. It can look fairly
      normal coming out of the tap, but particularly after sitting in the
      sun (heat?) for awhile the water will rust or turn brownish. Some may
      or may not like the taste. But many people plan on buying drinking
      water from the store on the site or from the grocery stores in town.

      Pennsic-water-msg (6K) 9/ 1/07 Dealing with the Pennsic drinking water.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-water-msg.html

      P-Food-Safety-art (7K) 7/19/01 "Pennsic Food Safety" by Andrew MacRobb.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-Food-Safety-art.html

      Fire-Book-art (739K) 12/28/00 Baron Durr's Guide to Safe Fire Use.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Fire-Book/Fire-Book-art.html

      I also meant to, but forgot to, mention the SCA-CAMPING section in the
      Florilegium. A few files there:
      camp-showers-msg (30K) 6/22/09 Camp shower ideas for outside SCA events.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/camp-showers-msg.html

      camp-toilets-msg (9K) 6/27/04 Camp toilets for private camps.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/camp-toilets-msg.html

      Care-o-Prvies-art (5K) 11/10/02 On the Care and Feeding of the Wild
      Porta- Privy" by Lord Iain mac Caradoc.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/Care-o-Prvies-art.html

      I would highly recommend that folks read this last file, and perhaps
      print it out and put it up in your camp somewhere.
      A quote from this article:
      "The privies are equipped with vent pipes such that the fumes and
      stench will be evacuated through said pipe. This doesn't work if the
      seat lid is left open. This has nothing to do with the standard male/
      female argument of leaving the seat up or down, but simple mechanics."

      Particularly important as the afternoon heat builds in the privies.

      Thanks,
      Stefan

      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2011
        On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 21:05 -0500, Stefan li Rous wrote:
        > Neither did I. And I've heard tales about some of the "plagues" of
        > some of the earlier Pennsics. One of those years, the CDC actually
        > sent a letter of commendation to the staff/chirugeons or wrote it up
        > in their papers, about how well the group handled the situation.

        I was the War Chirurgeon the year of the SARS epidemic, and also got to
        see that epidemic up close and personal: I was in Beijing, China, on
        business the week the Chinese government finally admitted they had over
        ten thousand cases in Beijing. I watched ambulances roll by with five or
        six patients in the back. I wasn't scared of SARS; I was scared of the
        Chinese medical system that put multiple *suspected* SARS patients into
        a single open ward without isolation. If you went in there and didn't
        already have SARS, chances are you soon *would*. Singapore, by contrast,
        had an ultramodern hospital system and built special temporary isolation
        wards just for the SARS situation, and their rapid reaction squelched
        the epidemic efficiently.

        Having been that close to the outbreak myself, I didn't have a lot of
        use for mindless panic on the part of people for whom it was at most a
        distant theoretical threat. Due caution is good, but mindless panic
        accomplishes nothing. A woman contacted me with the terrified question,
        "Can't you (the Chirurgeons) cancel Pennsic? Or at least prohibit anyone
        from Canada from attending, since there is SARS in Toronto? What if an
        outbreak of disease happens at Pennsic?!"

        I responded back, "Outbreak? You mean like the one last year? Or were
        you talking about the year before? Or was it the one from the year
        before that? Et cetera." Basically, I told her that we have an outbreak
        of something -- usually Norovirus -- just about every single year at
        Pennsic. We have EMS and licensed physicians on site, and we have our
        SCAdian virus researcher, and we work closely with modern-world health
        authorities if the situation can't be managed by the on-site
        professionals. Of course, this is beyond first aid, so we refer
        Norovirus patients to the professional medical staff on site, not to our
        First Aid team. But the point is, it gets handled by all the right
        people, the campsites get a tutorial in better sanitation, and the
        outbreak goes away.

        I'm not a doctor. I can't give you medical advice about what to do if
        you get a Norovirus, though of course you can use your own common sense
        and previous experience with this illness. :-) On the other hand, I
        don't need a medical license to tell you about good camp sanitation.
        Noroviruses are so preventable that it's really a shame when anyone
        catches one. If we could get people in the modern world to practice good
        hygiene, Noroviruses would have a lot harder time infecting anyone.
        Pennsic is a very challenging sanitation environment, but good camping
        behavior can solve the challenges quite well.

        P.S. -- One final dish sanitation note: Bleach is great for sterilizing,
        but don't overdo it, and rinse it off thoroughly. A small amount of
        bleach residue on your dishes won't harm you, but in some people it may
        give you a case of diarrhea that is almost as bad as the virus you were
        trying to kill. In all things, moderation. :-)

        Off my soapbox now. :-) I just hate to see anyone's vacation ruined by a
        virus that they could have avoided.

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • wren378
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2011
          Thank you for clearing that up. I was thinking of going in 2013 and that was scaring me off.