Greetings From another Newbie (And Pennsic Questions)

  • Shelly
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 7, 2011
      Hail from the East Kingdom.

      I just recently stumbled across this group and have been reading back through some posts and finding some very valuable information.

      My Scadian name is Jocelyn and I reside within the East Kingdom in the Barony of Settmour Swamp (NJ). I have less then a full year of being a SCAdian and have so far been greatly enjoying my time.

      Currently I am preparing for my first trip to Pennsic. Including gathering essentials I will need for camping, sewing up enough Summer Garb to hopefully last me the 10 days I will be there and trying not to freak out about the unknown.

      I've noticed on the schedule that there are a couple of newcomer activities. (A Newcomer Social, Newcomers Scavenger Hunt) And I was wondering if anyone else from this group would perhaps be attending their first Pennsic and perhaps be going to any of these events. While I am going to try to attend these events I cannot be certain I will be able to. (Not sure exactly what my full schedule entails yet but have been tapped for kitchen duties, fighter tent refreshment duties and retaining duties by my household.) But would be interesting to make new friends at these events if I can.

      Also for some of you veteran Pennsic attendees out there. Any helpful hints for first timers? Is there one nifty little item that I should bring? Any secrets or help are always welcome.
    • Alison Choyce
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 7, 2011
        Greetings Jocelyn!!

        And welcome! I am Alison Wodehalle, East Kingdom Chatelaine, and I hail from
        Hartshorn-dale across the river from you. :)

        I will be at the Newcomer Social, and my deputy, Hlaford Orm, will be
        running the scavenger hunt, which promises to be a good bit of fun! ;)

        I do hope many of you are able to make it to these events. We will have
        refreshments at the Social & people to greet you and answer questions. And I
        know Orm puts together an interesting and educational scavenger hunt. You
        will learn things about Pennsic that might have taken years to learn, and
        may be ahead of your campmates less familiar with Pennsic lore.

        Perhaps we will meet there, but in any case feel free to get in touch if you
        need any assistance. chatelaine@...

        In service,
        Alison
        EK Chatelaine

        --
        ~Alison

      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 7, 2011
          Greetings Shelly!
          Welcome to SCA Newcomers - the people here are very helpful.
          This will be my fourth Pennsic, but I have been camping since I was a
          toddler, and working at various RenFaires since I was in my 30's, so
          semi-outdoor living is not new to me.

          The most important tip I can give you is this: Keep your cool. Do so by
          bringing or quickly acquiring a wide brimmed hat of some sort, and wearing
          it during daylight hours.
          An ice cube under the hat, or a soaking wet bandana work for some, but the
          important part is the hat.
          Shade is important - when standing still, stay in it - even if you don't
          think there is much of it, do not under estimate how much relief even
          partial shade can give you.
          Don't loose your temper, either - that will raise your temperature, and I
          assure you that unless it's life or death, it's rarely worth it, and rarely
          helps a bad situation.
          Keeping calm will make it easier for other people to help you, too.

          The next most usefull thing is to keep a container of essentials with you at
          all times.
          In it should be: the site map and merchant's map, toilet paper, sunscreen
          and band-aids, a handkerchief or other small piece of cloth, safety pins or
          a small sewing kit, crucial medicines like an inhaler or epi-pen, anything
          small your child might need and a container for drinking water.
          (Cooper'slake Campground sprays for bugs, so that's not usually a problem at
          Pennsic, but if you are allergic, carry what you need.)

          Thirdly: label every single piece of everything you bring to war. Include
          your SCA name, shire, barony, region and kingdom, as well as your
          affiliations - like your household name. Also include your mundane name and
          some way to contact you - a cell phone # which you will be checking daily
          would be good so someone could return a misplaced item to you right away.
          Personally, I include my husband's information for good measure.
          The information does not need to be immediately visible, but it should be
          somewhere readily seen by someone looking for such information - inside the
          crown of a hat and under the bottom of a chair are both good spots.
          If you do loose something, check with lost and found once a day - you never
          know when someone will turn it in.

          And lastly - and this one covers a LOT of ground: Don't be stupid!
          Don't bring a hibachi full of burning coals into your flamable nylon tent,
          no matter how cold you get; Don't leave your armour anywhere on the
          battlefield overnight; and don't put your shower sump pit uphill from your
          tent.
          Lest you think I am being ridiculous - each and every one of those is based
          on fact!
          (Yes, especially the hibachi in the tent - both of those campers ended up in
          the ER with 3rd degree burns.)
          And I watched the sump pit diggers last year - they didn't want to hear it,
          so I zipped my lip - but I did have a good laugh at their expense when they
          flooded themselves.

          Remember; it's only a game.

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 7, 2011
            <<Also for some of you veteran Pennsic attendees out there. Any helpful hints for first timers? Is there one nifty little item that I should bring? Any secrets or help are always welcome.>>

            Hi, Jocelyn!
            Make sure you have some garb and bedding for cold/wet weather as well as hot weather. It is not uncommon for night temperatures at Pennsic to drop into the 40's and for light frost to occur. It's also not uncommon to have a day of rain and 60 degree temperatures. 60 degrees and sunny can be comfortable; 60 degrees and unrelenting rain is miserable if you aren't prepared for it.
            Some ideas:
            Layers.
            Wool. Wool is your friend in both cold and wet conditions. It naturally protects against rainfall and will keep you warm even if it is soaked through.
            Make sure your bedding stays off the ground. Tents usually leak from the bottom up rather than the top down, so if your bedding is off the floor, it will stay dry and give you one dry warm place to retreat to.
            Boots. If we get a lot of rain, some of the Pennsic roads can turn into ankle deep or deeper mud.
            Brangwayna Morgan
            (who will be attending her 22nd consecutive Pennsic this year).

          • Grainne ingen Lugdach
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
              --- On Thu, 7/7/11, Shelly <michhas@...> wrote:
              Also for some of you veteran Pennsic attendees out there.  Any helpful hints for first timers?  Is there one nifty little item that I should bring?  Any secrets or help are always welcome.

              Greetings, Jocelyn! And welcome to the wonder of Pre-Pennsic-panic sewing! LOL

              Be sure to bring your camera! I never take as many photos as I intend to take, but I love having them when I get "homesick" during the rest of the year. And they help me explain Pennsic to my non-SCAdian family, friends and co-workers.

              For me, a small arsenal of battery-operated fans are a must. I have various sizes that live in my tent, and I have a number of small, very portable fans that travel with me as I make my rounds. My favorite last year was a spray botttle with a fan attached; I think I picked it up at Wal-Mart for less than $5.

              It sounds like you've already got lots of things to do, but I highly recommend taking at least one ride on one of the bus routes. It's one of the first things I did my very first Pennsic, and I got to see parts of the campground that I haven't seen since. :-) It's a nice way to get oriented, though, and lets you just how big Pennsic really is.

              Have a wonderful time! Hope to bump into you at some point!

              Slan,
              Grainne ingen Lugdach
              Shire of Roxbury Mill, Atlantia

            • wren378
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                I haven't been to Pennsic but I used to go camping a lot with the girl scouts. Tents do usually leek the worst from the bottom. This can be solved by placing a tarp only slightly larger than the tent on the ground under the tent. Then a second tarp, approximately the same size as the inside floor space is, placed on the floor of the tent. This will prevent seepage from the ground and any rain from soaking your stuff. Excellent fire starters can be made with PAPER egg stuffed with dryer lint and wood chips/saw dust. Candle wax is then poured over the top both because it's flamable and it keep the other stuff in the egg cups. Just break 1 or 2 off as needed they burn for a long time.

                Do you really have to dig your own sesspits? I was looking into Pennsic for next year but I won't camp at a place that doesn't have at least freestanding latrines. Open sewage is a bit too historic for me plus its a health and safety hazard. I'd be too worried about disease and food contamination.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                  <<Do you really have to dig your own sesspits? I was looking into Pennsic for next year but I won't camp at a place that doesn't have at least freestanding latrines. Open sewage is a bit too historic for me plus its a health and safety hazard. I'd be too worried about disease and food contamination. >>

                  Good heavens, no! The Pennsic site has a small number of flush toilets and a large supply of porta-johns which are some of the cleanest you will find anywhere - often cleaned twice or even three times daily.

                  The "sump pits" the poster referred to are used to dispose of waste water from camp kitchens and showers.

                • Kyla
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                    No, not cess pits, Wren 378, no one said anything about raw sewage!
                    Shower run off sumps, so the dirt roads don't become quagmires.
                    There are port-o-johns everywhere, and flushables in some places.

                    By the way, it is good to keep in mind that this is an international list.
                    Things it is helpful to include - so we can better help you - are:
                    A name to call you
                    The kingdom you are in
                    The region or barony you are in
                    The local shire or canton you are in.

                    Tabitha Pennywarden
                    Ravenslake, Midlands
                    Middle Kingdom

                    I haven't been to Pennsic but I used to go camping a lot with the girl
                    scouts. Tents do usually leek the worst from the bottom. This can be solved
                    by placing a tarp only slightly larger than the tent on the ground under the
                    tent. Then a second tarp, approximately the same size as the inside floor
                    space is, placed on the floor of the tent. This will prevent seepage from
                    the ground and any rain from soaking your stuff. Excellent fire starters can
                    be made with PAPER egg stuffed with dryer lint and wood chips/saw dust.
                    Candle wax is then poured over the top both because it's flamable and it
                    keep the other stuff in the egg cups. Just break 1 or 2 off as needed they
                    burn for a long time.

                    Do you really have to dig your own sesspits? I was looking into Pennsic
                    for next year but I won't camp at a place that doesn't have at least
                    freestanding latrines. Open sewage is a bit too historic for me plus its a
                    health and safety hazard. I'd be too worried about disease and food
                    contamination.

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

                    > <<Also for some of you veteran Pennsic attendees out there. Any helpful
                    hints for first timers? Is there one nifty little item that I should bring?
                    Any secrets or help are always welcome.>>

                    > Hi, Jocelyn!
                    > Make sure you have some garb and bedding for cold/wet weather as well as
                    hot weather. It is not uncommon for night temperatures at Pennsic to drop
                    into the 40's and for light frost to occur. It's also not uncommon to have a
                    day of rain and 60 degree temperatures. 60 degrees and sunny can be
                    comfortable; 60 degrees and unrelenting rain is miserable if you aren't
                    prepared for it.
                    > Some ideas:
                    > Layers.
                    > Wool. Wool is your friend in both cold and wet conditions. It naturally
                    protects against rainfall and will keep you warm even if it is soaked
                    through.
                    > Make sure your bedding stays off the ground. Tents usually leak from the
                    bottom up rather than the top down, so if your bedding is off the floor, it
                    will stay dry and give you one dry warm place to retreat to.
                    > Boots. If we get a lot of rain, some of the Pennsic roads can turn into
                    ankle deep or deeper mud.
                    > Brangwayna Morgan
                    > (who will be attending her 22nd consecutive Pennsic this year).

                  • Stefan li Rous
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                      Jocelyn said:
                      <<< I just recently stumbled across this group and have been reading
                      back through some posts and finding some very valuable information. >>>

                      You might be interested in going through some of the files in the
                      NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html

                      <<< My Scadian name is Jocelyn and I reside within the East Kingdom in
                      the Barony of Settmour Swamp (NJ). I have less then a full year of
                      being a SCAdian and have so far been greatly enjoying my time. >>>

                      Oh, wow. To live so close to Pennsic! It's a 27 hour drive from here.
                      But you have to deal with that, that, white stuff. Snow, Ice? I think
                      they call it? :-)

                      <<< Currently I am preparing for my first trip to Pennsic. Including
                      gathering essentials I will need for camping, sewing up enough Summer
                      Garb to hopefully last me the 10 days I will be there and trying not
                      to freak out about the unknown. >>>

                      Remember a lot of items like clothing can be bought after you get
                      there. You can spend days just wandering among the merchants. I've
                      seen discussions of how well you could do going to Pennsic with
                      nothing but some money. :-) Of course, money is why I'm not going to
                      Pennsic this year.

                      There is a small landromat at Cooper's Lake (Pennsic) but it is best
                      to use it at off-hours. You can also take your clothes into town if
                      you need to. Or take a tub and some soap and wash somethings in camp.

                      <<< I've noticed on the schedule that there are a couple of newcomer
                      activities. (A Newcomer Social, Newcomers Scavenger Hunt) And I was
                      wondering if anyone else from this group would perhaps be attending
                      their first Pennsic and perhaps be going to any of these events.
                      While I am going to try to attend these events I cannot be certain I
                      will be able to. (Not sure exactly what my full schedule entails yet
                      but have been tapped for kitchen duties, fighter tent refreshment
                      duties and retaining duties by my household.) But would be
                      interesting to make new friends at these events if I can. >>>

                      I find it wise for events like Pennsic and Gulf Wars, which have a lot
                      of different activities going on simultaneously, to go through the
                      schedule ahead of time and make notes for each day on activities I
                      might like to attend. Since one of the big things I do at Pennsic
                      these days is to take classes, this allows me to figure out which of
                      the conflicting classes I want to attend when. Sometimes a class is
                      taught multiple times and I can choose to take the one which is only
                      being taught once and take the other one later.

                      Knowing what you want to do will also help you choose the times when
                      working with your household will work the best for you.

                      <<< Also for some of you veteran Pennsic attendees out there. Any
                      helpful hints for first timers? Is there one nifty little item that I
                      should bring? Any secrets or help are always welcome.>>>

                      See some of the files in the PENNSIC section of the Florilegium, such
                      as:
                      New-2-Pennsic-msg (44K) 6/23/04 Information for those new to Pennsic.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/New-2-Pennsic-msg.html

                      BPThingie-art (38K) 9/30/94 Bart's Pennsic guidebook w. Estrella addm.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/BPThingie-art.html

                      P-Sanitation-art (18K) 8/13/09 "Pennsic Sanitation for the Compleat
                      Idiot" by Qatagin-u Jajiradai (called Master Jaji)
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-Sanitation-art.html

                      Pennsic-101-art (8K) 8/17/03 An article for those new to Pennsic by
                      Culaan.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-101-art.html

                      Pennsic-Prep-art (12K) 8/22/02 "A Newcomer's Guide for Pre-Pennsic
                      Prep" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-Prep-art.html

                      Eatng-Pennsic-art (24K) 5/14/01 "Eating in (Period) Style at Pennsic"
                      by Lord Bogdan de la Brasov, CW.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Eatng-Pennsic-art.html

                      I hope this helps prepare you for Pennsic.
                      Stefan

                      --------
                      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
                    • Kyla
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                        "I find it wise for events like Pennsic and Gulf Wars, which have a lot
                        of different activities going on simultaneously, to go through the
                        schedule ahead of time and make notes for each day on activities I
                        might like to attend. Since one of the big things I do at Pennsic
                        these days is to take classes, this allows me to figure out which of
                        the conflicting classes I want to attend when. Sometimes a class is
                        taught multiple times and I can choose to take the one which is only
                        being taught once and take the other one later."

                        Having a list of all the classes you want to take at a given hour has been
                        helpful to me when a class gets cancelled or re-scheduled.
                        That way, rather than waste time looking throught the book at A&S/University
                        Point, I can look at my list for what else I wanted to take at that same
                        time.
                        Each year, I get a little more organized - this year I will have a 3 ring
                        binder - which will stay in the tent - with page protectors to hold my
                        potential schedule for each day and the class notes and hand-outs for each
                        class I actually attend.
                        I will bring a transparent plastic envelope with the given days' schedule,
                        maps and Pennsic booklets, along with my 'in case' - you know, for in case I
                        get a blister, or in case I rip a seam, or ... and anything else I think I
                        will need, for my 'servant' to carry.
                        (My 'servant' since I haven't been able to convince a person to follow me
                        around in this role, yet, is a luggage cart with a super-size Land's End
                        tote bag strapped to it - I stuck a short piece of pine shelving in the
                        bottom of the bag to eliminate sagging.)

                        For daytime classes, chairs are mostly provided.
                        For evening activities in private camps, I have an ultra-light folding chair
                        which I strap to my 'servant'.

                        There's more about how I manage time and slightly limited mobility at
                        Pennsic, when my camp is about a mile and a half from Pennsic U, if anyone
                        is interested - I'm sure other people on this list have suggestions as well.

                        Tabitha Pennywarden
                        Ravenslake, Midlands
                        Middle Kingdom

[...]

                      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                          On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 10:35 -0500, Kyla wrote:
                          > No, not cess pits, Wren 378, no one said anything about raw sewage!
                          > Shower run off sumps, so the dirt roads don't become quagmires.
                          > There are port-o-johns everywhere, and flushables in some places.

                          Very true, and he porta-john crews do an amazingly good job of cleaning.
                          These are the cleanest porta-johns I have ever used at an event.

                          While we are on the subject of sanitation, though, and since a newcomer
                          asked for guidance, here's mine. I've been War Chirurgeon twice, which
                          in modern terms means I was the person in charge of the First Aid team
                          for Pennsic several years ago.

                          One thing that we always stress, with good reason, is the importance of
                          hand and kitchen sanitation. What most people call the "stomach flu"
                          isn't flu at all, but often is a virus of a family called Noroviruses,
                          named after Norwalk, Ohio, where they were first studied in detail. The
                          Noroviruses cause nausea, fever, gastrointestinal upset, and related
                          symptoms; in most healthy adults, the virus is a nasty nuisance but not
                          life threatening.

                          The important thing about Noroviruses is that they are spread by
                          fecal-oral contamination. That means someone didn't wash their hands
                          after using the toilet, or that they left dirty dishes around the
                          campsite that were visited by the same flies who had previously been in
                          the loo.

                          Yucky? You bet! But the good news is that Norovirus infections are often
                          quite preventable with simple sanitation:

                          * Wash your hands thoroughly, with soap and water, after using the loo.
                          It is important to scrub vigorously for at least 30 seconds. Reciting
                          the "ABC Song" or "Twinkle Little Star" is a good guideline. The soap
                          doesn't have to be "antibacterial"....regular soap works fine.

                          * If no soapy water is available, the alcohol-based hand sanitizers are
                          an acceptable alternative, but again be sure to spread the sanitizer
                          well over your hand and fingers. This is not as good as the soap and
                          water route, though, so treat this only as your backup plan.

                          * Don't leave dirty dishes or leftover food sitting out in your camp,
                          and wipe down your dining tables and food prep areas with diluted
                          bleach solution.

                          * If you have symptoms like the Noroviruses, visit the First Aid/EMS
                          pavilion. The SCA provides only first aid care, but there are also
                          licensed physicians on hand from our professional EMS/medical
                          contractor. The physicians can help you be sure you don't have
                          something more serious and can help you avoid spreading it to your
                          campmates. Also, there is an SCA person who happens to be a virus
                          researcher in the modern world, and she tracks Norovirus outbreaks
                          statistically at Pennsic and helps identify patterns that might
                          indicate an area where some extra attention is needed.

                          So, when you go to Pennsic, help win the war against germs. Wash your
                          hands, wash your dishes, and stay healthy!

                          DISCLAIMER: I am not a physician. The above statements are sanitation
                          advice from an experienced Pennsic camper, and are not intended as
                          medical advice or medical training. Consult a physician for
                          authoritative advice on diagnosing and treating illness. Also, although
                          I have served on Pennsic staff numerous times, I am not on the staff
                          this year, and therefore I do not speak for this year's Pennsic staff.

                          Kind regards,

                          fesswise reversed sable.

                          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                        • Grainne ingen Lugdach
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                            I like your "servant," Tabitha! :-)

                            Your schedule system sounds very similar to mine. I use a 3-ring binder to hold confirmations, general information and my schedule pages. I set up a Word document for my dailiy schedule, then geek out when the Pennsic University schedule is posted in June. :-) I have several columns for each time slot, listing all of the classes and other activities that catch my interest. Each day's schedule goes in a page protector. I pull out 2-3 days at a time and put them in the tote bag that I schlepp around the campground with me. (I carry a day or two ahead so I can sign up for some shifts at Troll.)

                            I place two big vinyl envelopes in the tote: 1 holds my Pennsic book and the merchant book (learned that after they got a good soaking--in the tote bag--during a downpour my first Pennsic!), and the other holds the day's class notes, Pennsic Independent, and any other papery/booklet-y things I might pick up during the day. When I get back to my tent, I move the class notes, et. al. to another envelope or plastic tote to try to keep them relatively dry.

                            A few people in my household think I'm a little obsessive about my schedule :-) but it works for me. I went to 35 classes at last year's Pennsic and I wouldn't have been able to keep track of everything without my schedule sheets. That wasn't even close to everything on my schedule, BTW. Some classes were too full, I was too tired/hot at a given time, I ended up talking to a friend, etc., etc. I'm not obsessive about *following* the schedule, but I like having the framework in place before hand. :-)

                            --- On Fri, 7/8/11, Kyla <skycat@...> wrote:

                            Each year, I get a little more organized - this year I will have a 3 ring
                            binder - which will stay in the tent - with page protectors to hold my
                            potential schedule for each day and the class notes and hand-outs for each
                            class I actually attend.
                            I will bring a transparent plastic envelope with the given days' schedule,
                            maps and Pennsic booklets, along with my 'in case' - you know, for in case I
                            get a blister, or in case I rip a seam, or ...  and anything else I think I
                            will need, for my 'servant' to carry.

                          • Bill Toscano
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                              I have learned something today. Thank you, Justin.

                              I did not know where the name Norovirus came from.

                              That's interesting.

                              Liam
                              Who lived near Lyme, Conn., before the disease became known.

                            • christopher chastain
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
                                I wish they would video tape and then youtube the classes from Pennsic for those of us that cant make it to the event.

                                Yours in Humble Service,
                                Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

                                The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?

                                It's not who I am underneath, it's my actions that define me

                                ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

                                To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 9, 2011
                                  Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov declared:
                                  <<< I wish they would video tape and then youtube the classes from
                                  Pennsic for those of us that cant make it to the event. >>>

                                  While this would be great for those of us who can't go, even in a
                                  particular year, the logistics of such a thing are a bit overwhelming.

                                  There are usually 1100 or 1200 classes, spread over a week and a half.
                                  Often going on in fifteen or more tents simultaneously. The equipment
                                  is getting cheaper and easier to use, but that would still require a
                                  lot of volunteer labor and equipment. Even taking out the classes
                                  which are taught several times during the War.

                                  I'm not even including the classes that are taught in private camps or
                                  in special areas, such as the Middle Eastern dance area.

                                  When I can get them, and can get permission from the authors to post
                                  them, I often add the handouts from classes to the Florilegium.
                                  Getting permission to add the notes, and getting them in electronic
                                  form are one of the reasons I don't get more online than I do.

                                  I keep hearing people desire or state that we should have a bunch of
                                  class videos online, but it isn't an easy process to create and post a
                                  good video.

                                  Stefan

                                  --------
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 18, 2011
                                    Thank you All for some of the great tips. I've added a few things to my packing/purchase list with your help.

                                    I am not the most organized of people so though I have paired down the class schedule to things I would like to take I probably won't know till I am there what I will be able to take. We'll see.

                                    Thank you again.

                                    Michelle
                                    Aka
                                    Jocelyn