Stefan's Florilegium files for July

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2011
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for July detailing what is
      new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
      or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
      to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
      written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
      an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
      Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
      format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
      consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
      help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
      find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
      might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

      Lastly, since I'm still looking for my next job, I won't be able to
      make it to Pennsic. :-( Those of you who are making your plans to
      attend in a few weeks might wish to look through the files in the
      PENNSIC section of the Florilegium.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -----------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
      research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate
      alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the BEVERAGES section:
      I-Guid-Brewng-art "Intermediate Guide to Brewing" by HL Rory
      McGowen.
      In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
      Rowany-Festvl-msg Comments on and suggestions for those going
      to the Romany Festival in Lochac.
      In the CLOTHING s
      ME-Clothing-art "Middle Eastern Clothing Practical Primer"
      by asim al-talib.
      In the COMBAT section:
      shoes4combat-msg Footwear suggestions for SCA combat.
      In the EQUESTRIAN section:
      Equest-4-New-art "SCA Equestrian Activities for the New (or
      Non) Equestrian" by Lady Eowyth þa Siðend.
      In the FEAST-REVIEWS section:
      Unicorn-Feast-art Feast of Unicorn in Atlantia in 2004 headed up
      by Lord Nichola Buscelli.
      In the FEASTS section:
      ckng-4-vigils-msg Cooking suggestions for SCA peerage vigils.
      In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
      fd-Brazil-msg Food of period (colonial) Brazil.
      In the PENNSIC section:
      War-Fare-rev "War Fare Review" by Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE.
      Recipes and remembrances from the Pennsic
      Sated Tyger Inn and Battlefield Bakery.
      In the SCA-STORIES section:
      SCA-stories4-msg SCA stories related after 1/1/2009.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      bathing-msg Bathing and cleanliness in the Middle Ages.
      coopering-msg Making and maintaining barrels and kegs.
      drying-foods-msg Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
      fd-monks-msg Food of medieval monks.
      hummus-msg Modern "hummus" dip is not the same as period
      hummus.
      lebkuchen-msg Period lebkuchen cookies. Recipes.
      merch-shoes-msg Lists and reviews of period-style shoe makers.
      pregnancy-msg Pregnancy in period. Handling it in the SCA.
      rabbit-dishes-msg Period rabbit and hare recipes.
      SCA-stories3-msg SCA stories related from 5/1/96 to 1/1/2009.
      shoes-msg Medieval footwear and SCA imitations.
      tongue-msg Medieval cooking of tongue. Recipes.
      Turkey-msg Period Turkey. Culture. History.
      verjuice-msg Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.
      warfare-msg Period warfare.
      ---
      Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris