Re: Saludos from Puerto Rico

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1 2:06 AM
      <<< I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA
      website
      'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is
      it in
      with the other countries.
      Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
      Does someone on this list know how to go about that? >>>

      I assume that that is because, right now, there are no SCA groups in
      Puerto Rico. There are large portions of the world that aren't claimed
      by any kingdom. Just as in most kingdoms there are large blank areas,
      that are kingdom lands and not claimed by any specific groups.

      There are occasionally SCA groups or individuals at the Antarctic
      bases and at the International Space Station. But these groups come
      and go, so I wouldn't expect them to be on the SCA website, either.

      I've forgotten who actually has the most valid claim to Antarctica,
      but I've heard three different claims. They are in the Florilegium.
      The ISS is claimed by Ansteorra, since Richard Garriot/Don Shamino,
      who bought his way up there recently for a week, also carried the
      original "white scarf" given to Don Tivar and an Ansteorra flag with
      him and other such items, but I can't remember the rest of the details
      right now.

      Stefan

      --------
    • Andronikos
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 10 12:07 AM
        If you don't really want to rejoin the kingdom who abandoned you lo these many years, which, of course, would be understandable, then you could send an emmisary, or a quick note, to our Dread Lords here in An Tir.... I am sure a lovely region like yours would be a welcome place to visit during our long dark winters.....

        tee hee
        tee hee
        tee hee

        Andronikos Belisariou

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "SoftcombatGamesPR" <sgpr_inc@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > My name is José Ortiz, I m writing from Puerto Rico. Since 2005 I helped to incorporate and organize events for the first organization of softcombat/bofferfighting-live action medieval battle games(with boffers)-bofferLARP, Softcombat Games Puerto Rico. We just recently dissolved the non-profit since it achieved it s goal of promoting such activities in the island.
        >
        > But the truth is that way before some of my friends and I worked with SGPR, we are interested on SCA. Problem is that , reenactment, medievalism and ancient western martial arts schools are virtualy non-existent here.
        >
        > I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild steel and chainmaille...
        >
        > So my problem is basically the same I had when we started the first bofferfighting group here in PR, we are clueless on how to start up an SCA group here in the island.
        >
        > What can we do? To whom shall we direct our inquiries? is it possible to start an official group overseas??
        >
        > Any info will be much appreciated.
        > Att
        > José

      • Andronikos
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 10 12:11 AM
          If you don't really want to rejoin the kingdom who abandoned you lo these many years, which, of course, would be understandable, then you could send an emmisary, or a quick note, to our Dread Lords here in An Tir.... I am sure a lovely region like yours would be a welcome place to visit during our long dark winters.....

          tee hee
          tee hee
          tee hee

          Andronikos Belisariou

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "SoftcombatGamesPR" <sgpr_inc@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > My name is José Ortiz, I m writing from Puerto Rico. Since 2005 I helped to incorporate and organize events for the first organization of softcombat/bofferfighting-live action medieval battle games(with boffers)-bofferLARP, Softcombat Games Puerto Rico. We just recently dissolved the non-profit since it achieved it s goal of promoting such activities in the island.
          >
          > But the truth is that way before some of my friends and I worked with SGPR, we are interested on SCA. Problem is that , reenactment, medievalism and ancient western martial arts schools are virtualy non-existent here.
          >
          > I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild steel and chainmaille...
          >
          > So my problem is basically the same I had when we started the first bofferfighting group here in PR, we are clueless on how to start up an SCA group here in the island.
          >
          > What can we do? To whom shall we direct our inquiries? is it possible to start an official group overseas??
          >
          > Any info will be much appreciated.
          > Att
          > José

        • Bambi TBNL
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 10 8:02 AM
            Jose, If you would like, I ould try to find channels for you to adress in Atlania. A good porTion of my family is from Puerto Rico, INCLUDING ME, alhough in my entire 22 yrs in the SCA ive only managed to get 2 of my cousins to ever come to n even or particiate at all . Still , I did manage to serve pernil at a major feast and had over 20 requsts for the"recipe" so im thinking atlantia might be ripe for a canton in PR as long as it included a cooking guild! This is not helping with marshal arts and fighting, I know but I would love to ask around for you and see who could help if you like. Al servicio del Suen~o! Sen~ora Maria Beatriz la Mora aka Khalillah bint Temur

          • sprucepath@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 10 12:52 PM
              ,,b,bbg
              Sent from my LG phone

              Bambi TBNL <hippy_dippy_dancer@...> wrote:

              >Jose, If you would like, I ould try to find channels for you to adress in Atlania. A good porTion of my family is from Puerto Rico, INCLUDING ME, alhough in my entire 22 yrs in the SCA ive only managed to get 2 of my cousins to ever come to n even or particiate at all . Still , I did manage to serve pernil at a major feast and had over 20 requsts for the"recipe" so im thinking atlantia might be ripe for a canton in PR as long as it included a cooking guild! This is not helping with marshal arts and fighting, I know but I would love to ask around for you and see who could help if you like. Al servicio del Suen~o! Sen~ora Maria Beatriz la Mora aka Khalillah bint Temur

            • SoftcombatGamesPR
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 15 6:59 PM
                Thanks everyone for all the help,clarifications and tips. I m still a little lost on the organization structure of the SCA and how I may be able to start a group over here...so I m trying to read as much as I can , as fast as I can .And I have a whole bunch of question I may be posting afterwards.
                Thanks again,
                Jose

                > <<< I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA
                > website
                > 'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is
                > it in
                > with the other countries.
                > Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
                > Does someone on this list know how to go about that? >>>
                >
                > I assume that that is because, right now, there are no SCA groups in
                > Puerto Rico. There are large portions of the world that aren't claimed
                > by any kingdom. Just as in most kingdoms there are large blank areas,
                > that are kingdom lands and not claimed by any specific groups.
                >
                > There are occasionally SCA groups or individuals at the Antarctic
                > bases and at the International Space Station. But these groups come
                > and go, so I wouldn't expect them to be on the SCA website, either.
                >
                > I've forgotten who actually has the most valid claim to Antarctica,
                > but I've heard three different claims. They are in the Florilegium.
                > The ISS is claimed by Ansteorra, since Richard Garriot/Don Shamino,
                > who bought his way up there recently for a week, also carried the
                > original "white scarf" given to Don Tivar and an Ansteorra flag with
                > him and other such items, but I can't remember the rest of the details
                > right now.
                >
                > Stefan
                >
                > --------

              • SoftcombatGamesPR
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 25, 2011
                  I think Trimaris shall have the claim over Puerto Rico, since is basicly the nearest kingdom , right? Or it doesn t work that way?
                  Att
                  Jose

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > California and Australia with the West Kingdom, the original SCA group
                  > > in northern California.
                  > >
                  > > You might find these files in the SCA-INC section of my Florilegium
                  > > website to be of use:
                  > > new-groups-msg (17K) 6/11/05 Procedures and advice on starting new SCA
                  > > groups.
                  > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/new-groups-msg.html
                  > > Start-a-Group-art (16K) 1/12/10 "Forming a New SCA Branch: A Guide to
                  > > Getting Started" by Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/Start-a-Group-art.html
                  > >
                  > > As a newcomer to the SCA you might also enjoy some of the files in the
                  > > NEWCOMERS section.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html
                  > >
                  > > You don't have to have an official group to participate in the SCA, an
                  > > unofficial household often works, and I recommend that for many small
                  > > groups since trying to form an official group with its minimum number
                  > > of officers can strain a small group and lead to job swapping as terms
                  > > expire, with the result that folks get burned out.
                  > >
                  > > However a household can still travel to adjacent areas and play with
                  > > them. That's probably rather difficult in your situation.
                  > >
                  > > Most of the literature and documentation about the SCA is likely to be
                  > > in English. You obviously speak English, but how about your possible
                  > > new members? This doesn't keep your friends from participating the
                  > > SCA, but it could make it more difficult.
                  > >
                  > > Here are another couple of files in the SCA-INC section which would be
                  > > a good idea to read.
                  > >
                  > > recruiting-art (16K) 7/13/02 "On the Recruiting and Retention of New
                  > > Members" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruiting-art.html
                  > >
                  > > recruitment-msg (57K) 9/29/10 Recruitment ideas. Bringing in new
                  > > members.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruitment-msg.html
                  > >

                  > > <<< I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and
                  > > kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild
                  > > steel and chainmaille... >>>
                  > >
                  > > We don't practice any of the oriental martial arts, however, having
                  > > such knowledge is a big help when trying to learn and use SCA and
                  > > medieval sword fighting. You might wish to look at the CRAFTS and the
                  > > COMBAT section of the Florilegium for some info and articles on
                  > > working with leather and leather armor, as well as making chainmail.
                  > >
                  > > There are over 2300 different files in the Florilegium on the SCA and
                  > > various medieval subjects, so hopefully they can help both you and the
                  > > group you wish to start. Although I've never been involved in starting
                  > > a group, as I've only lived in one place and the group was old and
                  > > established when I joined, please feel free to email me with any
                  > > questions.
                  > >
                  > > Stefan
                  > >
                  > > --------
                  > > THLord Stefan li Rous Barony of Bryn Gwlad Kingdom of Ansteorra

                • SoftcombatGamesPR
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 25, 2011
                    Hi,
                    Puerto Rico is a US Non-Incorporated Territory governed by a Commonwealth goverment....a messy one at best. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the problem you just noticed Kyla.
                    Att
                    José

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kyla" <skycat@...> wrote:

                    > With that information, here is the Outlands website, with links for
                    > officers - like chatelaine/hospitaler and seneschal - who should be able to
                    > answer some of your questions and help you get started with your own group.
                    >
                    > http://www.outlands.org/
                    > http://www.outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=71 hospitaler's page.
                    >
                    > I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA website
                    > 'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is it in
                    > with the other countries.
                    > Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
                    > Does someone on this list know how to go about that?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Tabitha Pennywarden
                    > Ravenslake, Midlands
                    > Middle Kingdom

                  • robert.huttinger
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 24, 2013

                      This is an old post, but I will be moving to PR in a year. If nobody stops me I will claim these lands for Atlantia! JK. ok kinda not... Anyway, If there is a PR contingent there, I would love to meet you all and bring some state-side flavor to any active community there!

                    • hippy_dippy_dancer
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 11, 2013
                        I have family in pr and lived tthere myself many moon0 ago. As far as I know calaiming it for atlantia might just work if trimaris hasn't som how beeten us to it. How ever I would also point out that there are aircraft carriers that are registered as cantons in va and there is a large naval base in pR. It is possible some connections might be discovered that way

                        From: <camerondegrey@...>
                        Sender: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: 24 Nov 2013 19:00:52 -0800
                        To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>