RE: [SCA Newcomers] re: Saludos from Puerto Rico

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 30, 2011
      With that information, here is the Outlands website, with links for
      officers - like chatelaine/hospitaler and seneschal - who should be able to
      answer some of your questions and help you get started with your own group.

      http://www.outlands.org/
      http://www.outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=71 hospitaler's page.

      I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA website
      'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is it in
      with the other countries.
      Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
      Does someone on this list know how to go about that?

      Thanks,
      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2011
        <<< I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA
        website
        'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is
        it in
        with the other countries.
        Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
        Does someone on this list know how to go about that? >>>

        I assume that that is because, right now, there are no SCA groups in
        Puerto Rico. There are large portions of the world that aren't claimed
        by any kingdom. Just as in most kingdoms there are large blank areas,
        that are kingdom lands and not claimed by any specific groups.

        There are occasionally SCA groups or individuals at the Antarctic
        bases and at the International Space Station. But these groups come
        and go, so I wouldn't expect them to be on the SCA website, either.

        I've forgotten who actually has the most valid claim to Antarctica,
        but I've heard three different claims. They are in the Florilegium.
        The ISS is claimed by Ansteorra, since Richard Garriot/Don Shamino,
        who bought his way up there recently for a week, also carried the
        original "white scarf" given to Don Tivar and an Ansteorra flag with
        him and other such items, but I can't remember the rest of the details
        right now.

        Stefan

        --------
      • Andronikos
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 10, 2011
          If you don't really want to rejoin the kingdom who abandoned you lo these many years, which, of course, would be understandable, then you could send an emmisary, or a quick note, to our Dread Lords here in An Tir.... I am sure a lovely region like yours would be a welcome place to visit during our long dark winters.....

          tee hee
          tee hee
          tee hee

          Andronikos Belisariou

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "SoftcombatGamesPR" <sgpr_inc@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > My name is José Ortiz, I m writing from Puerto Rico. Since 2005 I helped to incorporate and organize events for the first organization of softcombat/bofferfighting-live action medieval battle games(with boffers)-bofferLARP, Softcombat Games Puerto Rico. We just recently dissolved the non-profit since it achieved it s goal of promoting such activities in the island.
          >
          > But the truth is that way before some of my friends and I worked with SGPR, we are interested on SCA. Problem is that , reenactment, medievalism and ancient western martial arts schools are virtualy non-existent here.
          >
          > I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild steel and chainmaille...
          >
          > So my problem is basically the same I had when we started the first bofferfighting group here in PR, we are clueless on how to start up an SCA group here in the island.
          >
          > What can we do? To whom shall we direct our inquiries? is it possible to start an official group overseas??
          >
          > Any info will be much appreciated.
          > Att
          > José

        • Andronikos
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 10, 2011
            If you don't really want to rejoin the kingdom who abandoned you lo these many years, which, of course, would be understandable, then you could send an emmisary, or a quick note, to our Dread Lords here in An Tir.... I am sure a lovely region like yours would be a welcome place to visit during our long dark winters.....

            tee hee
            tee hee
            tee hee

            Andronikos Belisariou

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "SoftcombatGamesPR" <sgpr_inc@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > My name is José Ortiz, I m writing from Puerto Rico. Since 2005 I helped to incorporate and organize events for the first organization of softcombat/bofferfighting-live action medieval battle games(with boffers)-bofferLARP, Softcombat Games Puerto Rico. We just recently dissolved the non-profit since it achieved it s goal of promoting such activities in the island.
            >
            > But the truth is that way before some of my friends and I worked with SGPR, we are interested on SCA. Problem is that , reenactment, medievalism and ancient western martial arts schools are virtualy non-existent here.
            >
            > I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild steel and chainmaille...
            >
            > So my problem is basically the same I had when we started the first bofferfighting group here in PR, we are clueless on how to start up an SCA group here in the island.
            >
            > What can we do? To whom shall we direct our inquiries? is it possible to start an official group overseas??
            >
            > Any info will be much appreciated.
            > Att
            > José

          • Bambi TBNL
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 10, 2011
              Jose, If you would like, I ould try to find channels for you to adress in Atlania. A good porTion of my family is from Puerto Rico, INCLUDING ME, alhough in my entire 22 yrs in the SCA ive only managed to get 2 of my cousins to ever come to n even or particiate at all . Still , I did manage to serve pernil at a major feast and had over 20 requsts for the"recipe" so im thinking atlantia might be ripe for a canton in PR as long as it included a cooking guild! This is not helping with marshal arts and fighting, I know but I would love to ask around for you and see who could help if you like. Al servicio del Suen~o! Sen~ora Maria Beatriz la Mora aka Khalillah bint Temur

            • sprucepath@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 10, 2011
                ,,b,bbg
                Sent from my LG phone

                Bambi TBNL <hippy_dippy_dancer@...> wrote:

                >Jose, If you would like, I ould try to find channels for you to adress in Atlania. A good porTion of my family is from Puerto Rico, INCLUDING ME, alhough in my entire 22 yrs in the SCA ive only managed to get 2 of my cousins to ever come to n even or particiate at all . Still , I did manage to serve pernil at a major feast and had over 20 requsts for the"recipe" so im thinking atlantia might be ripe for a canton in PR as long as it included a cooking guild! This is not helping with marshal arts and fighting, I know but I would love to ask around for you and see who could help if you like. Al servicio del Suen~o! Sen~ora Maria Beatriz la Mora aka Khalillah bint Temur

              • SoftcombatGamesPR
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 15, 2011
                  Thanks everyone for all the help,clarifications and tips. I m still a little lost on the organization structure of the SCA and how I may be able to start a group over here...so I m trying to read as much as I can , as fast as I can .And I have a whole bunch of question I may be posting afterwards.
                  Thanks again,
                  Jose

                  > <<< I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA
                  > website
                  > 'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is
                  > it in
                  > with the other countries.
                  > Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
                  > Does someone on this list know how to go about that? >>>
                  >
                  > I assume that that is because, right now, there are no SCA groups in
                  > Puerto Rico. There are large portions of the world that aren't claimed
                  > by any kingdom. Just as in most kingdoms there are large blank areas,
                  > that are kingdom lands and not claimed by any specific groups.
                  >
                  > There are occasionally SCA groups or individuals at the Antarctic
                  > bases and at the International Space Station. But these groups come
                  > and go, so I wouldn't expect them to be on the SCA website, either.
                  >
                  > I've forgotten who actually has the most valid claim to Antarctica,
                  > but I've heard three different claims. They are in the Florilegium.
                  > The ISS is claimed by Ansteorra, since Richard Garriot/Don Shamino,
                  > who bought his way up there recently for a week, also carried the
                  > original "white scarf" given to Don Tivar and an Ansteorra flag with
                  > him and other such items, but I can't remember the rest of the details
                  > right now.
                  >
                  > Stefan
                  >
                  > --------

                • SoftcombatGamesPR
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 25, 2011
                    I think Trimaris shall have the claim over Puerto Rico, since is basicly the nearest kingdom , right? Or it doesn t work that way?
                    Att
                    Jose

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > >
                    > > We don't practice any of the oriental martial arts, however, having
                    > > such knowledge is a big help when trying to learn and use SCA and
                    > > medieval sword fighting. You might wish to look at the CRAFTS and the
                    > > COMBAT section of the Florilegium for some info and articles on
                    > > working with leather and leather armor, as well as making chainmail.
                    > >
                    > > There are over 2300 different files in the Florilegium on the SCA and
                    > > various medieval subjects, so hopefully they can help both you and the
                    > > group you wish to start. Although I've never been involved in starting
                    > > a group, as I've only lived in one place and the group was old and
                    > > established when I joined, please feel free to email me with any
                    > > questions.
                    > >
                    > > Stefan
                    > >
                    > > --------
                    > > THLord Stefan li Rous Barony of Bryn Gwlad Kingdom of Ansteorra

                  • SoftcombatGamesPR
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 25, 2011
                      Hi,
                      Puerto Rico is a US Non-Incorporated Territory governed by a Commonwealth goverment....a messy one at best. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the problem you just noticed Kyla.
                      Att
                      José

                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kyla" <skycat@...> wrote:

                      > With that information, here is the Outlands website, with links for
                      > officers - like chatelaine/hospitaler and seneschal - who should be able to
                      > answer some of your questions and help you get started with your own group.
                      >
                      > http://www.outlands.org/
                      > http://www.outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=71 hospitaler's page.
                      >
                      > I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA website
                      > 'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is it in
                      > with the other countries.
                      > Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
                      > Does someone on this list know how to go about that?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Tabitha Pennywarden
                      > Ravenslake, Midlands
                      > Middle Kingdom

                    • robert.huttinger
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 24, 2013

                        This is an old post, but I will be moving to PR in a year. If nobody stops me I will claim these lands for Atlantia! JK. ok kinda not... Anyway, If there is a PR contingent there, I would love to meet you all and bring some state-side flavor to any active community there!

                      • hippy_dippy_dancer
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 11, 2013
                          I have family in pr and lived tthere myself many moon0 ago. As far as I know calaiming it for atlantia might just work if trimaris hasn't som how beeten us to it. How ever I would also point out that there are aircraft carriers that are registered as cantons in va and there is a large naval base in pR. It is possible some connections might be discovered that way

                          From: <camerondegrey@...>
                          Sender: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: 24 Nov 2013 19:00:52 -0800
                          To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>