Saludos from Puerto Rico

  • SoftcombatGamesPR
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 24, 2011
      Hello,

      My name is José Ortiz, I m writing from Puerto Rico. Since 2005 I helped to incorporate and organize events for the first organization of softcombat/bofferfighting-live action medieval battle games(with boffers)-bofferLARP, Softcombat Games Puerto Rico. We just recently dissolved the non-profit since it achieved it s goal of promoting such activities in the island.

      But the truth is that way before some of my friends and I worked with SGPR, we are interested on SCA. Problem is that , reenactment, medievalism and ancient western martial arts schools are virtualy non-existent here.

      I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild steel and chainmaille...

      So my problem is basically the same I had when we started the first bofferfighting group here in PR, we are clueless on how to start up an SCA group here in the island.

      What can we do? To whom shall we direct our inquiries? is it possible to start an official group overseas??

      Any info will be much appreciated.
      Att
      José
    • christopher chastain
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 28, 2011
        Greetings,
        I will let one of the more experienced folks answer your question in deeper detail than I can but yes you can start a group over seas. Your nearest Kingdom is Trimaris which is in Florida. I am going to forward your question up to our higher ups so they can give you correct information.

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

        The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?

        It's not who I am underneath, it's my actions that define me

        ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        From: sgpr_inc@...
        Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:33:47 +0000
        Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Saludos from Puerto Rico

        Hello,

        My name is Jos� Ortiz, I m writing from Puerto Rico. Since 2005 I helped to incorporate and organize events for the first organization of softcombat/bofferfighting-live action medieval battle games(with boffers)-bofferLARP, Softcombat Games Puerto Rico. We just recently dissolved the non-profit since it achieved it s goal of promoting such activities in the island.

        But the truth is that way before some of my friends and I worked with SGPR, we are interested on SCA. Problem is that , reenactment, medievalism and ancient western martial arts schools are virtualy non-existent here.

        I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild steel and chainmaille...

        So my problem is basically the same I had when we started the first bofferfighting group here in PR, we are clueless on how to start up an SCA group here in the island.

        What can we do? To whom shall we direct our inquiries? is it possible to start an official group overseas??

        Any info will be much appreciated.
        Att
        Jos�

      • sgpr_inc
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 28, 2011
          Thanks you Pomestnik!

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, christopher chastain <ckchastain@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          > I will let one of the more experienced folks answer your question in deeper detail than I can but yes you can start a group over seas. Your nearest Kingdom is Trimaris which is in Florida. I am going to forward your question up to our higher ups so they can give you correct information.
          >

          > Yours in Humble Service,
          > Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
          >

          > The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?
          >

          > It's not who I am underneath, it's my actions that define me
          >

          > ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>
          >

          > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          > From: sgpr_inc@...
          > Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:33:47 +0000
          > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Saludos from Puerto Rico
          >

          > Hello,
          >
          > My name is José Ortiz, I m writing from Puerto Rico. Since 2005 I helped to incorporate and organize events for the first organization of softcombat/bofferfighting-live action medieval battle games(with boffers)-bofferLARP, Softcombat Games Puerto Rico. We just recently dissolved the non-profit since it achieved it s goal of promoting such activities in the island.
          >
          > But the truth is that way before some of my friends and I worked with SGPR, we are interested on SCA. Problem is that , reenactment, medievalism and ancient western martial arts schools are virtualy non-existent here.
          >
          > I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild steel and chainmaille...
          >
          > So my problem is basically the same I had when we started the first bofferfighting group here in PR, we are clueless on how to start up an SCA group here in the island.
          >
          > What can we do? To whom shall we direct our inquiries? is it possible to start an official group overseas??
          >
          > Any info will be much appreciated.
          > Att
          > José

        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 29, 2011
            Jose asked:
            <<< So my problem is basically the same I had when we started the
            first bofferfighting group here in PR, we are clueless on how to start
            up an SCA group here in the island.

            What can we do? To whom shall we direct our inquiries? is it possible
            to start an official group overseas?? >>>

            Greetings Jose,

            Yes, as others have mentioned, it is possible to start new groups.
            Outside of an area currently claimed, and officially accepted, by
            another kingdom, then you have a choice of which kingdom to affiliate
            your group with.

            What is now the kingdom of Lochac, which is Australia and New Zealand,
            they were separate groups. New Zealand in Caid, which is southern
            California and Australia with the West Kingdom, the original SCA group
            in northern California.

            You might find these files in the SCA-INC section of my Florilegium
            website to be of use:
            new-groups-msg (17K) 6/11/05 Procedures and advice on starting new SCA
            groups.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/new-groups-msg.html
            Start-a-Group-art (16K) 1/12/10 "Forming a New SCA Branch: A Guide to
            Getting Started" by Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin.

            http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/Start-a-Group-art.html

            As a newcomer to the SCA you might also enjoy some of the files in the
            NEWCOMERS section.

            http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html

            You don't have to have an official group to participate in the SCA, an
            unofficial household often works, and I recommend that for many small
            groups since trying to form an official group with its minimum number
            of officers can strain a small group and lead to job swapping as terms
            expire, with the result that folks get burned out.

            However a household can still travel to adjacent areas and play with
            them. That's probably rather difficult in your situation.

            Most of the literature and documentation about the SCA is likely to be
            in English. You obviously speak English, but how about your possible
            new members? This doesn't keep your friends from participating the
            SCA, but it could make it more difficult.

            Here are another couple of files in the SCA-INC section which would be
            a good idea to read.

            recruiting-art (16K) 7/13/02 "On the Recruiting and Retention of New
            Members" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.

            http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruiting-art.html

            recruitment-msg (57K) 9/29/10 Recruitment ideas. Bringing in new
            members.

            http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruitment-msg.html

            <<< I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and
            kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild
            steel and chainmaille... >>>

            We don't practice any of the oriental martial arts, however, having
            such knowledge is a big help when trying to learn and use SCA and
            medieval sword fighting. You might wish to look at the CRAFTS and the
            COMBAT section of the Florilegium for some info and articles on
            working with leather and leather armor, as well as making chainmail.

            There are over 2300 different files in the Florilegium on the SCA and
            various medieval subjects, so hopefully they can help both you and the
            group you wish to start. Although I've never been involved in starting
            a group, as I've only lived in one place and the group was old and
            established when I joined, please feel free to email me with any
            questions.

            Stefan

            --------
          • Cailin Mac Kinnach
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 29, 2011
              I'm a bit late to this conversation, but when I saw it, it nudged something
              back in the cobwebby depths of my mind.

              Jose, your lands do have a name, and a kingdom has claim on them. Puerto
              Rico falls under the lands of Argonia, and is under the auspices of the
              kingdom of the Outlands. This claim has been contested twice, once by the
              kingdom of Ansteorra and once by the kingdom of Trimaris, and the Outlands
              has won the challenge both times. Here's a link to a web page that
              succinctly details all of this.

              http://sandradodd.com/artan/argonia

              Now then, I'm sure that there are a relatively few people that know these
              histories, but being the SCA and seeing as how we're all into history to
              begin with, perhaps you could have some fun with this as you set out on this
              journey.

              DISCLAIMER: I have no idea how strong the claim of the Outlands over
              Argonia, (and even the place name itself) are.

              Cailin the traveler

            • Kyla
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 30, 2011
                With that information, here is the Outlands website, with links for
                officers - like chatelaine/hospitaler and seneschal - who should be able to
                answer some of your questions and help you get started with your own group.

                http://www.outlands.org/
                http://www.outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=71 hospitaler's page.

                I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA website
                'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is it in
                with the other countries.
                Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
                Does someone on this list know how to go about that?

                Thanks,
                Tabitha Pennywarden
                Ravenslake, Midlands
                Middle Kingdom

                <stefanlirous@...>wrote:

> [...]
                >

                > <<< I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and
                > kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild
                > steel and chainmaille... >>>
                >
                > We don't practice any of the oriental martial arts, however, having
                > such knowledge is a big help when trying to learn and use SCA and
                > medieval sword fighting. You might wish to look at the CRAFTS and the
                > COMBAT section of the Florilegium for some info and articles on
                > working with leather and leather armor, as well as making chainmail.
                >
                > There are over 2300 different files in the Florilegium on the SCA and
                > various medieval subjects, so hopefully they can help both you and the
                > group you wish to start. Although I've never been involved in starting
                > a group, as I've only lived in one place and the group was old and
                > established when I joined, please feel free to email me with any

              • Stefan li Rous
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 1, 2011
                  <<< I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA
                  website
                  'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is
                  it in
                  with the other countries.
                  Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
                  Does someone on this list know how to go about that? >>>

                  I assume that that is because, right now, there are no SCA groups in
                  Puerto Rico. There are large portions of the world that aren't claimed
                  by any kingdom. Just as in most kingdoms there are large blank areas,
                  that are kingdom lands and not claimed by any specific groups.

                  There are occasionally SCA groups or individuals at the Antarctic
                  bases and at the International Space Station. But these groups come
                  and go, so I wouldn't expect them to be on the SCA website, either.

                  I've forgotten who actually has the most valid claim to Antarctica,
                  but I've heard three different claims. They are in the Florilegium.
                  The ISS is claimed by Ansteorra, since Richard Garriot/Don Shamino,
                  who bought his way up there recently for a week, also carried the
                  original "white scarf" given to Don Tivar and an Ansteorra flag with
                  him and other such items, but I can't remember the rest of the details
                  right now.

                  Stefan

                  --------
                • Andronikos
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 10, 2011
                    If you don't really want to rejoin the kingdom who abandoned you lo these many years, which, of course, would be understandable, then you could send an emmisary, or a quick note, to our Dread Lords here in An Tir.... I am sure a lovely region like yours would be a welcome place to visit during our long dark winters.....

                    tee hee
                    tee hee
                    tee hee

                    Andronikos Belisariou

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "SoftcombatGamesPR" <sgpr_inc@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > My name is José Ortiz, I m writing from Puerto Rico. Since 2005 I helped to incorporate and organize events for the first organization of softcombat/bofferfighting-live action medieval battle games(with boffers)-bofferLARP, Softcombat Games Puerto Rico. We just recently dissolved the non-profit since it achieved it s goal of promoting such activities in the island.
                    >
                    > But the truth is that way before some of my friends and I worked with SGPR, we are interested on SCA. Problem is that , reenactment, medievalism and ancient western martial arts schools are virtualy non-existent here.
                    >
                    > I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild steel and chainmaille...
                    >
                    > So my problem is basically the same I had when we started the first bofferfighting group here in PR, we are clueless on how to start up an SCA group here in the island.
                    >
                    > What can we do? To whom shall we direct our inquiries? is it possible to start an official group overseas??
                    >
                    > Any info will be much appreciated.
                    > Att
                    > José

                  • Andronikos
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 10, 2011
                      If you don't really want to rejoin the kingdom who abandoned you lo these many years, which, of course, would be understandable, then you could send an emmisary, or a quick note, to our Dread Lords here in An Tir.... I am sure a lovely region like yours would be a welcome place to visit during our long dark winters.....

                      tee hee
                      tee hee
                      tee hee

                      Andronikos Belisariou

                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "SoftcombatGamesPR" <sgpr_inc@...> wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > My name is José Ortiz, I m writing from Puerto Rico. Since 2005 I helped to incorporate and organize events for the first organization of softcombat/bofferfighting-live action medieval battle games(with boffers)-bofferLARP, Softcombat Games Puerto Rico. We just recently dissolved the non-profit since it achieved it s goal of promoting such activities in the island.
                      >
                      > But the truth is that way before some of my friends and I worked with SGPR, we are interested on SCA. Problem is that , reenactment, medievalism and ancient western martial arts schools are virtualy non-existent here.
                      >
                      > I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild steel and chainmaille...
                      >
                      > So my problem is basically the same I had when we started the first bofferfighting group here in PR, we are clueless on how to start up an SCA group here in the island.
                      >
                      > What can we do? To whom shall we direct our inquiries? is it possible to start an official group overseas??
                      >
                      > Any info will be much appreciated.
                      > Att
                      > José

                    • Bambi TBNL
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 10, 2011
                        Jose, If you would like, I ould try to find channels for you to adress in Atlania. A good porTion of my family is from Puerto Rico, INCLUDING ME, alhough in my entire 22 yrs in the SCA ive only managed to get 2 of my cousins to ever come to n even or particiate at all . Still , I did manage to serve pernil at a major feast and had over 20 requsts for the"recipe" so im thinking atlantia might be ripe for a canton in PR as long as it included a cooking guild! This is not helping with marshal arts and fighting, I know but I would love to ask around for you and see who could help if you like. Al servicio del Suen~o! Sen~ora Maria Beatriz la Mora aka Khalillah bint Temur

                      • sprucepath@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 10, 2011
                          ,,b,bbg
                          Sent from my LG phone

                          Bambi TBNL <hippy_dippy_dancer@...> wrote:

                          >Jose, If you would like, I ould try to find channels for you to adress in Atlania. A good porTion of my family is from Puerto Rico, INCLUDING ME, alhough in my entire 22 yrs in the SCA ive only managed to get 2 of my cousins to ever come to n even or particiate at all . Still , I did manage to serve pernil at a major feast and had over 20 requsts for the"recipe" so im thinking atlantia might be ripe for a canton in PR as long as it included a cooking guild! This is not helping with marshal arts and fighting, I know but I would love to ask around for you and see who could help if you like. Al servicio del Suen~o! Sen~ora Maria Beatriz la Mora aka Khalillah bint Temur

                        • SoftcombatGamesPR
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 15, 2011
                            Thanks everyone for all the help,clarifications and tips. I m still a little lost on the organization structure of the SCA and how I may be able to start a group over here...so I m trying to read as much as I can , as fast as I can .And I have a whole bunch of question I may be posting afterwards.
                            Thanks again,
                            Jose

                            > <<< I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA
                            > website
                            > 'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is
                            > it in
                            > with the other countries.
                            > Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
                            > Does someone on this list know how to go about that? >>>
                            >
                            > I assume that that is because, right now, there are no SCA groups in
                            > Puerto Rico. There are large portions of the world that aren't claimed
                            > by any kingdom. Just as in most kingdoms there are large blank areas,
                            > that are kingdom lands and not claimed by any specific groups.
                            >
                            > There are occasionally SCA groups or individuals at the Antarctic
                            > bases and at the International Space Station. But these groups come
                            > and go, so I wouldn't expect them to be on the SCA website, either.
                            >
                            > I've forgotten who actually has the most valid claim to Antarctica,
                            > but I've heard three different claims. They are in the Florilegium.
                            > The ISS is claimed by Ansteorra, since Richard Garriot/Don Shamino,
                            > who bought his way up there recently for a week, also carried the
                            > original "white scarf" given to Don Tivar and an Ansteorra flag with
                            > him and other such items, but I can't remember the rest of the details
                            > right now.
                            >
                            > Stefan
                            >
                            > --------

                          • SoftcombatGamesPR
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 25, 2011
                              I think Trimaris shall have the claim over Puerto Rico, since is basicly the nearest kingdom , right? Or it doesn t work that way?
                              Att
                              Jose

                              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > >
                              > > We don't practice any of the oriental martial arts, however, having
                              > > such knowledge is a big help when trying to learn and use SCA and
                              > > medieval sword fighting. You might wish to look at the CRAFTS and the
                              > > COMBAT section of the Florilegium for some info and articles on
                              > > working with leather and leather armor, as well as making chainmail.
                              > >
                              > > There are over 2300 different files in the Florilegium on the SCA and
                              > > various medieval subjects, so hopefully they can help both you and the
                              > > group you wish to start. Although I've never been involved in starting
                              > > a group, as I've only lived in one place and the group was old and
                              > > established when I joined, please feel free to email me with any
                              > > questions.
                              > >
                              > > Stefan
                              > >
                              > > --------
                              > > THLord Stefan li Rous Barony of Bryn Gwlad Kingdom of Ansteorra

                            • SoftcombatGamesPR
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 25, 2011
                                Hi,
                                Puerto Rico is a US Non-Incorporated Territory governed by a Commonwealth goverment....a messy one at best. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the problem you just noticed Kyla.
                                Att
                                José

                                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kyla" <skycat@...> wrote:

                                > With that information, here is the Outlands website, with links for
                                > officers - like chatelaine/hospitaler and seneschal - who should be able to
                                > answer some of your questions and help you get started with your own group.
                                >
                                > http://www.outlands.org/
                                > http://www.outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=71 hospitaler's page.
                                >
                                > I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA website
                                > 'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is it in
                                > with the other countries.
                                > Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
                                > Does someone on this list know how to go about that?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Tabitha Pennywarden
                                > Ravenslake, Midlands
                                > Middle Kingdom

                              • robert.huttinger
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 24, 2013

                                  This is an old post, but I will be moving to PR in a year. If nobody stops me I will claim these lands for Atlantia! JK. ok kinda not... Anyway, If there is a PR contingent there, I would love to meet you all and bring some state-side flavor to any active community there!

                                • hippy_dippy_dancer
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 11, 2013
                                    I have family in pr and lived tthere myself many moon0 ago. As far as I know calaiming it for atlantia might just work if trimaris hasn't som how beeten us to it. How ever I would also point out that there are aircraft carriers that are registered as cantons in va and there is a large naval base in pR. It is possible some connections might be discovered that way

                                    From: <camerondegrey@...>
                                    Sender: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: 24 Nov 2013 19:00:52 -0800
                                    To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>