re: Persona question

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2011
      Fran├žisca said:
      <<< Would it be too much of a stretch to be a person living in
      Flanders with a background of Spanish/Basque and English around
      1450-1520? I really like these clothing styles (though I'm trying to
      get some help from the garb group to see if I am even dealing with
      realistic garb) but I want a good reason to be wearing it all. Is
      that silly? If not, what would you recommend to start with for garb?
      I really need to start working on it as I have my first event (and a
      big one) in three weeks! >>>

      Which is the clothing that interests you? That of the Basques? Or that
      of Flanders?

      After being in a new area, I imagine folks would tend to adopt
      clothing closer to what the folks around them were wearing.

      Unfortunately, or maybe not depending on what you seek, Basque
      personas are little done in the SCA. I do have these two, short,
      files in the CULTURES section of the Florilegium which might be of use:
      Basques-bib (16K) 9/14/01 A Basque biblio. by Senhora Ester Mendes.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Basques-bib.html

      Basques-msg (28K) 4/29/06 Basque culture, language, names, clothing.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Basques-msg.html

      And on Flanders, at least I think this is where Flanders is:
      Low-Countries-msg (27K) 11/23/99 Medieval Netherlands and Belgium.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Low-Countries-msg.html

      For your first few events, I would say don't get caught up in finding
      perfect, period garb. See if you like us and our activities first and
      find out whether it is for you, then you can work on refining things.
      Either just find something that is 'generic' medieval or borrow
      something if you need to. Many local groups maintain chests of loaner
      clothes for newcomers. After all the minimum is to just make an
      attempt at medieval clothing. I will also say from some personal
      experiences, if you show up in great, authentic clothing, folks may
      assume you have already been in the Society for a number of years and
      may not think to bring you into local customs and activities.

      If you haven't, I'd also recommend you take a look at the files in the
      NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium.

      Stefan

      --------