Re: [SCA Newcomers] Naming, Garb, Fighting and Marriage (those are natural together right?)

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2011
      On 6/8/2011 10:18 AM, Franchesca wrote:
      > My husband and I are new to the SCA. He is interested in heavy weapons fighting and I went out to play with the rapiers the past two weeks. It was a lot of fun and far less bruising than what my husband is getting into.
      >
      > With that being said, I am having trouble with the picking a name. Or rather using a name. After careful research into probable lineages of my mother, I am going with a Basque persona, from the 1450-1490. I *think* like the clothes better. And Juana la Loca appeals to me. :P So after diligent research I found an appropriate name for that time, brings in my heritage (translated my maiden name for appropriateness as a Patronym) and my penchant for red hair. So with that I get Osana Jostunaz Borugorri. (Osana Tailor's Child Red Head) On paper this is wonderful and super terrific. My SCA roommate thinks sounds great and who wouldn't want to say Borugorri? But how do I get used to being called Osana? My name is Franchesca in real life and it's pretty impressive on it's own right. Or do I forget the direct relation to the basque heritage and take Francesca from Italian or Francisca (because I could do worse than be related to a spanish weapon) and keep the rest?

      If you really want to keep your name, do it. You are allowed to
      register one element from your name with the college of heralds. Having
      said that, you don't ever have to register your name unless you want to!

      > I've read that garb isn't too much of a big deal. I just want to do it right because I don't have a lot of money and fabric is expensive. I know I have a lot to learn about sewing so that will take up some of my tries. But while I review documentation I can find online for this area and time, I've been told some of what I like might not actually be period since the paintings were done much later. And how do I know what to call what I see to find an appropriate pattern?

      If you're interested in Spanish or Basque, this is one awesome resource
      for you

      http://jessamynscloset.com/

      Don't worry about period too much -- unless you want to. Jerusha (the
      name) is late-period lowland Scot. Jerusha also happens to live in
      Florence, Italy. And if you poke around her/my closet, you're going to
      find quite a big of Viking garb there.

      I know folks that never deviate from persona. I know people who have a
      name that they hang clothes on.

      Do this fun game of ours in a way that suits you. If you want to use
      Osana as a vehicle to learn more about period Basque civilization, then
      go forth and learn. In my head, (and sometimes in my journaling), I
      have names for the different Time-Periods that I want to learn about;
      but I keep the same name. One fellow in my kingdom is John. He uses
      the appropriate form of the name for the Time Period that he's dressed
      as today.

      > Lastly, my husband is going for a 13th century Scottish Fisherman (Crisdean off Milton) who joins the Order of Templars. He has chosen to be a Sergeant because that truly fits his personality. I've made him most of his non fighting garb already, so he is almost set. But since he's 13th century and I'm 15th century, how does that work? Can we still be married in the "game" or do we just not even go there?

      Nowhere el;se but the SCA (or the cover of a romance novel) do you see
      Vikings and Elizabethan's married to each other!

      :-D

      Jerusha (in Meridies)

      --
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2011

        > Yes, but their armor allows more airflow and we fencers, as Knight put it
        > to me once, fight in what seems to be a wet suit!

        Oh yes! That loaner armor makes me sweat like nothing else. I am hoping
        that I get to work on my cote tomorrow with lots of help. I have the linen,
        just need to know how to fit it to me. I need to breathe. With the hood,
        the jacket thing, the mask, and the clothes I feel a bit claustophobic.

        > You get used to it the same way you got used to the name you have now. By
        > constant association with it. Everyone goes through that in some form or
        > another. It helps if you try to key yourself to it in some way. Since you
        > have a Scadian roommate you might want to ask them to go out of their way to
        > call you the scadian name at home. That might help.

        I will try that. I wonder how it will affect the kiddos. hmm...

        > Do what you can afford. Sew it to your ability and look for advice on how
        > to do it. You're new, so don't try to be perfect or wonderful or even great.
        > Chances are, and I don't know your background so forgive me if I'm wrong,
        > you don't have the skills yet to be wonderful.
        >
        > We all started somewhere just like in fencing and in heavy you have to get
        > your foundation built right and then you can do great things. Give yourself
        > permission to not be wonderful right now. Though of course strive to alway
        > better yourself.

        I'm not too bad; I've done a few costumes for the kids' school plays (Santa
        was very popular). I know I am not wonderful yet, but I am a bit detailed
        oriented. I don't know how many seams I picked out to get my husband's
        surcoat right. I also found an good source for very nice linen, for a very
        decent price locally. I just don't know the how to take the flat fabric and
        put it into the right shapes without some sort of pattern. I just don't
        know what to call what I see.

        I'm Scottish from roughly around 1250 AD. My Wife is German from roughly
        > around 1400 AD. On September 12, 2009 we got married. The SCA is a hobby and
        > no hobby of mine is going to interfere with my real life marriage. :-)

        I just wondered if anyone would freaked out or not. Some people seem pretty
        cool about a lot of things, some seem a bit militant. But that might be
        some of my preceptions about the SCA and not reality.

        > If your persona is going to affect your marriage in the game then I must
        > ask why your persona wouldn't affect your decision to fence. After all there
        > wasn't fencing as SCA rapier does fencing in the time period of your
        > persona. Then again, nothing even resembling fencing was around for my 1250
        > persona either. So what? Go. Have fun. Do. Use your persona as a reason to
        > have fun and explore not to restrict you.

        Oh this is true. I hadn't really though about that! Thanks Ian the Green!

      • Franchesca Bush
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2011

          > Do you live within the Middle Kingdom? If so, the title of Sergeant is
          > used by a Kingdom-level fighting award. I don't know about other
          > kingdoms. There are likely to be other historical titles that are
          > equivalent that could be used; check with your friendly neighborhood
          > Herald, or perhaps someone on this list can help. If your kingdom
          > doesn't use the title Sergeant in a specific way, it may not be a
          > problem.
          >
          > Oh I'm sorry I didn't clarify. Since most people associate Templars with
          Knights, and he very much wants to attain that title someday, he decided
          that his persona should not be that of a Knight. As with most monastic
          orders, Knights were typically of a noble class or granted based on ability
          and service. In the Order of Templars those of non-noble blood could be
          a Templar, but would not be a Knight. They could be various things, but a
          fighting brother would often be a Sergeant, rather than be a night. Instead
          of the well known white with red cross, Sergeants are granted black with a
          red cross. So, it's more of a persona aspect rather than a title, if
          someone should ask. He'll be Crisdean the Brother Sergeant, rather than the
          Templar Knight. In addition he is also allowed to "enlist" while married,
          so there isn't too much issue there.

          Oh and we are in Ansteorra and I am not aware of Sergeants here. I think
          there are Centurions? If I recall correctly.

          > I think the idea of a fisherman persona is very neat, by the way. You
          > don't often hear of that background being chosen, in my experience, yet
          > it is a very authentic occupation.

          Yes, if only he actually liked to fish! But he is paying homage to his
          mother's heritage (Stewart) without being stuck to the famous Stewarts, and
          his father (named Milton!).

        • Franchesca Bush
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2011

            > If you really want to keep your name, do it. You are allowed to
            > register one element from your name with the college of heralds. Having
            > said that, you don't ever have to register your name unless you want to!

            Oh I didn't know that! I might just do that, because well, I have enough
            trouble remember names. I dont want it to be mine that I can't remember.

            If you're interested in Spanish or Basque, this is one awesome resource
            > for you
            >
            > http://jessamynscloset.com/
            >
            > Don't worry about period too much -- unless you want to. Jerusha (the
            > name) is late-period lowland Scot. Jerusha also happens to live in
            > Florence, Italy. And if you poke around her/my closet, you're going to
            > find quite a big of Viking garb there.

            Oh I'm familar with that site. I guess that is why I have so much trouble
            figuring it out. It's hard to pinpoint the dates correctly. I'll work on
            it. I will go with I like first then try to get closer to period if I'm
            off. At least I know that I will have clothes! Basque is a neat area for
            me. And I know they have delicious food, so I'm very excited.

            > Nowhere el;se but the SCA (or the cover of a romance novel) do you see
            > Vikings and Elizabethan's married to each other!

            I guess that does make for a good romance doesn't it! Thanks for the info!

          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2011
              On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 14:51 -0500, Franchesca Bush wrote:
              > Oh I'm sorry I didn't clarify. Since most people associate Templars
              > with
              > Knights, and he very much wants to attain that title someday, he
              > decided
              > that his persona should not be that of a Knight. As with most
              > monastic
              > orders, Knights were typically of a noble class or granted based on
              > ability
              > and service. In the Order of Templars those of non-noble blood could
              > be
              > a Templar, but would not be a Knight. They could be various things,
              > but a
              > fighting brother would often be a Sergeant, rather than be a night.
              > Instead
              > of the well known white with red cross, Sergeants are granted black
              > with a
              > red cross. So, it's more of a persona aspect rather than a title, if
              > someone should ask. He'll be Crisdean the Brother Sergeant, rather
              > than the
              > Templar Knight. In addition he is also allowed to "enlist" while
              > married,
              > so there isn't too much issue there.

              Ah, I think I understand. I'm not a Herald, but I would think that usage
              isn't a problem, particularly with the word "Brother" in front of it.
              Particularly, introducing oneself as "M'Lord _____" and then later
              explaining that one's persona is "that of a Brother Sergeant in the
              Knights Templar" should be clear enough. If anyone asks, I would think
              it would be sufficient to explain that he is not claiming the title of
              Sergeant or of Knight within the SCA. And *aspiring* to Knighthood is
              certainly not a problem -- hundreds and hundreds of squires and other
              warriors aspire to be a Knight someday. :-)

              Thanks for clarifying. Others may wish to comment, especially those who
              live in Ansteorra, but it sounds to me as if he'd be in the clear even
              in the Middle Kingdom where I live.

              Again, welcome to the SCA. :-)

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • Dave Roland
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2011
                //I just wondered if anyone would freaked out or not. Some people seem pretty cool about a lot of things, some seem a bit militant. But that might be some of my preceptions about the SCA and not reality.//

                Every group has those that take things to extremes. They are generally best ignored or warned about, but rarely ever to be followed.

                Don't worry about them. Say something along the lines of, "Interesting," and then walk away.

                Ian