Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: On belts...

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
      No, that's me not paying attention to making sure the words were green,
      apprentice, Laurel and yellow, protege, Pelican.

      Liam

      On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Ian the Green <ianthegreen01@...>wrote:

> [...]
      > though.
      >
      > Ian
      >
      > On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...
      > >wrote:
      >

      > > The only color of belt that is reserved is white, for the chivalry.
      > >
      > > Traditional colors are: red belts for someone squired to a knight (SCA
      > peer
      > > relating to combat), green belts for someone apprenticed to a pelican
      > (SCA
      > > Peer related to service), yellow belts for someone apprenticed to a
      > Laurel,
      > > (SCA peer related to Arts and Sciences).
      > >
      > > Some kingdoms include these traditions in sumptery laws, others do not.
      > > What
      > > kingdom are you in?
      > > If a kingdom does not have as law that a particular belt color is
      > reserved,
      > > then as long as it is not white, there is nothing to stop you from
      > wearing
      > > it. Even if there is, as its burgundy, I think you'd be fine as long as
      > > you
      > > did not walk up to every squire and say something like, "See this not red
      > > belt? I'm not a squire, and its not red, so I can wear it!" (Yes, I've
      > > seen
      > > people do stuff like this, allot, in the SCA.) you should be fine.
      > >
      > > Do you fight? Do you have aspirations of striving for knighthood? If the
      > > answer is no to either of these questions, then I would not worry overly
      > > much. If you do, then you have to consider that some people with direct
      > > influence in that circle may be touchy about it.
      > >
      > > Honestly, after having looked through allot of pictures, I think you'll
      > be
      > > fine with a burgandy belt. The red squires belt tends to be a very red
      > > color.
      > >
      > > The question is a big deal for me becaue I'm a: not new, (I've been
      > playing
      > > since 2006), and b: fighting is my main pursuit, and I am striving
      > towards
      > > knighthood. The only excuse I have for not knowing after all this time is
      > > living in the hinterlands for the past few years.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Cailin
      > >
      > > On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM, warbow67 <warbow67@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > > OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts
      > specifically
      > > > listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I
      > > dyed
      > > > myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color
      > > > restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using
      > the
      > > > "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what
      > > > anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping
      > > the
      > > > ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.

    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
        I did, but that does not mean I was correct. I've been out in the country
        and away from things like laurels and apprentices and squires and knights.
        Out here, we get excited when we see a belt that isn't black or brown. Or a
        pointy hat. Any of these things gets conversation going for -months-.

        Cailin

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 9, 2011
          Master Tekton,
          Oh this was many,many years ago in a land I will, out of politeness and sureness that most of the perpetrators are gone,not mention. I was 22 and a Marine. I was the only Viking in a group and let us not say shunned, but there was friendly coercion to see the error of my ways and deny Red Thor for White Jesus! At the ripe age of 36 I found a group, which out of politeness and admiration I will mention, in Ansteorra. I walked into the Shire of Seawinds thinking I wanted to be an 11th century Welsh crusader. In the limited time I was there, I learned really what the SCA is about. Fun and friendship. Unfortunately, I had but a year with them. In that short period I decided it was time to be a Viking. I am an "experienced newcomer" and am chomping at the bit to jump in with both feet.

          Arngrimr Thorvaldson

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 05:56 +0000, Chris wrote:
          > > a group who didn't want an unwashed heathen norseman or his plain
          > > round shield,sounding horn and battlecries at their noble events.
          >

          > Hah! Around here, in the Middle Kingdom, it seems that lately when we
          > see some unwashed heathen Norseman sounding his battlehorn, we say,
          > "Lead on, YOUR MAJESTY!" Most of our royalty lately have been Norse
          > persona. :-)
          >
          > Justin
          >
          > --
          > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
          > fesswise reversed sable.
          >
          > justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

        • Franchesca Bush
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 9, 2011
            I do find that the people in Ansteorra are most helpful and I'm glad they
            are my first real experience in the SCA. Thanks!