Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: On belts...and buckles

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
      On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 05:56 +0000, Chris wrote:
      > a group who didn't want an unwashed heathen norseman or his plain
      > round shield,sounding horn and battlecries at their noble events.

      Hah! Around here, in the Middle Kingdom, it seems that lately when we
      see some unwashed heathen Norseman sounding his battlehorn, we say,
      "Lead on, YOUR MAJESTY!" Most of our royalty lately have been Norse
      persona. :-)

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • warbow67
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
        OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts specifically listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I dyed myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using the "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping the ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.

        Not a happy person right now.

        Dave H
        Ainninn the Graye

        --------------------------------

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys, I have a noobish question that I never thought of before.
        >
        > I know that red belts aren't specifically reserved for squires, as the
        > only belt reserved in corpa is the white belt of chivalry. That being
        > said, generally, the only people I ever see wearing red belts is guys
        > that are squires.
        >
        > I'm looking into a plaque belt with enamaled peweter plaques in red
        > and white, as those are both my colors, and aethelmearc's colors. They
        > would look awesome set on a red belt, but i was wondering if I'd cause
        > no end of grief for myself by mounting them to a belt of red leather.
        >
        > If so, I can go with a dark brown, or maybe a black.
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > Cailin

      • Bill Toscano
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
          White belts are specifically, by Society law, restricted to members of the
          the Order of Chivalry. (Technically "unadorned.")

          The following are not in law, but are generally accepted:

          Red for squires.
          Green for apprences to Laurels.
          Yellow for proteges to Pelicans.

          The colors are fairly standard colors.

          Also, at least in parts of the East, people who are men-at-arms to squires
          and knights where blue belts, but I do not think that is widespread.

          Liam

          On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM, warbow67 <warbow67@...> wrote:

          > OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts specifically
          > listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I dyed
          > myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color
          > restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using the
          > "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what
          > anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping the
          > ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.
          >
          > Not a happy person right now.
          >
          > Dave H
          > Ainninn the Graye
          >
          > --------------------------------
          >

          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey guys, I have a noobish question that I never thought of before.
          > >
          > > I know that red belts aren't specifically reserved for squires, as the
          > > only belt reserved in corpa is the white belt of chivalry. That being
          > > said, generally, the only people I ever see wearing red belts is guys
          > > that are squires.
          > >
          > > I'm looking into a plaque belt with enamaled peweter plaques in red
          > > and white, as those are both my colors, and aethelmearc's colors. They
          > > would look awesome set on a red belt, but i was wondering if I'd cause
          > > no end of grief for myself by mounting them to a belt of red leather.
          > >
          > > If so, I can go with a dark brown, or maybe a black.
          > >
          > > Cheers!
          > >
          > > Cailin

        • Cailin Mac Kinnach
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
            The only color of belt that is reserved is white, for the chivalry.

            Traditional colors are: red belts for someone squired to a knight (SCA peer
            relating to combat), green belts for someone apprenticed to a pelican (SCA
            Peer related to service), yellow belts for someone apprenticed to a Laurel,
            (SCA peer related to Arts and Sciences).

            Some kingdoms include these traditions in sumptery laws, others do not. What
            kingdom are you in?
            If a kingdom does not have as law that a particular belt color is reserved,
            then as long as it is not white, there is nothing to stop you from wearing
            it. Even if there is, as its burgundy, I think you'd be fine as long as you
            did not walk up to every squire and say something like, "See this not red
            belt? I'm not a squire, and its not red, so I can wear it!" (Yes, I've seen
            people do stuff like this, allot, in the SCA.) you should be fine.

            Do you fight? Do you have aspirations of striving for knighthood? If the
            answer is no to either of these questions, then I would not worry overly
            much. If you do, then you have to consider that some people with direct
            influence in that circle may be touchy about it.

            Honestly, after having looked through allot of pictures, I think you'll be
            fine with a burgandy belt. The red squires belt tends to be a very red
            color.

            The question is a big deal for me becaue I'm a: not new, (I've been playing
            since 2006), and b: fighting is my main pursuit, and I am striving towards
            knighthood. The only excuse I have for not knowing after all this time is
            living in the hinterlands for the past few years.

            Cheers,

            Cailin

            On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM, warbow67 <warbow67@...> wrote:

            > OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts specifically
            > listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I dyed
            > myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color
            > restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using the
            > "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what
            > anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping the
            > ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.
            >
            > Not a happy person right now.
            >
            > Dave H
            > Ainninn the Graye
            >
            > --------------------------------
            >

            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey guys, I have a noobish question that I never thought of before.
            > >
            > > I know that red belts aren't specifically reserved for squires, as the
            > > only belt reserved in corpa is the white belt of chivalry. That being
            > > said, generally, the only people I ever see wearing red belts is guys
            > > that are squires.
            > >
            > > I'm looking into a plaque belt with enamaled peweter plaques in red
            > > and white, as those are both my colors, and aethelmearc's colors. They
            > > would look awesome set on a red belt, but i was wondering if I'd cause
            > > no end of grief for myself by mounting them to a belt of red leather.
            > >
            > > If so, I can go with a dark brown, or maybe a black.
            > >
            > > Cheers!
            > >
            > > Cailin

          • Nicole E. Miller
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
              The only "restricted" belt is "an unadorned white belt" reserved for members of the Chiv. That is in Corpora. Everything else is merely a custom. Its stronger in some places than others, but it is by no means a rule. If people are snarky about it, its a failing on their part, not yours.

              Sian

              ---- warbow67 <warbow67@...> wrote:

              =============
              OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts specifically listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I dyed myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using the "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping the ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.

              Not a happy person right now.

              Dave H
              Ainninn the Graye

              --------------------------------

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...> wrote:

              > Hey guys, I have a noobish question that I never thought of before.
              >
              > I know that red belts aren't specifically reserved for squires, as the
              > only belt reserved in corpa is the white belt of chivalry. That being
              > said, generally, the only people I ever see wearing red belts is guys
              > that are squires.
              >
              > I'm looking into a plaque belt with enamaled peweter plaques in red
              > and white, as those are both my colors, and aethelmearc's colors. They
              > would look awesome set on a red belt, but i was wondering if I'd cause
              > no end of grief for myself by mounting them to a belt of red leather.
              >
              > If so, I can go with a dark brown, or maybe a black.
              >
              > Cheers!
              >
              > Cailin

            • Ian the Green
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                There is only one rule regarding belts.

                White is reserved for Knights. In some Kingdoms it is only an undecorated
                white belt.

                Anyone can where any other color belt that they desire.

                CUSTOM (and the force of custom) varies from Kingdom to Kingdom. However,
                the norm that I know of in the three Kingdoms I have lived in is as follows
                regarding belts.

                Squires (a person attached to a Knight in a formal manner) often wear red
                belts;

                Apprentices (a person attached to a Laurel in a formal manner) often wear
                green belts;

                Proteges (a person attached to a Pelican in a formal manner) often wear
                yellow belts.

                Generally speaking those who wear these belts as a sign of being attached to
                one of the above wear them plain or with the arms of who they are attached
                to or those who wore the belt before them. Some belts have great lineage on
                them and it is a great conversation opener.

                Anyone who desires to may wear any color belt that they desire to. Be aware
                that if you wear any of the colors above that you may get asked who your
                Knight/Laurel/Pelican is. There is no need to use, "I'm new," as an excuse.

                You can simply say that, "These are my personal colors," or, "I saw this
                kind and color of a belt in a period painting/illumination/picture and
                thought it was very neat," or any such thing such as, "It looks great with
                my outfit."

                In some Kingdoms they are taking Man-at-Arms and giving them Blue Belts
                though this is hardly society-wide.

                It is also strongly recommended that you avoid wearing an undecorated gold
                chain (largish links most often) as this is also a symbol of Knighthood.

                As a Chatelain, and as an apprentice, I tell my newcomers what the custom is
                and to be aware if they wear these colors of belts people may ask them some
                questions. But being an apprentice/protege/squire does not give anyone any
                more privileges than anyone else. In fact it gives us (often) a higher code
                of conduct to follow and perhaps some greater visibility but nothing in the
                way of higher station at all. These are not stations in the SCA such as
                Lord, Honorable Lord, Peer, Baron(ess) etc etc etc.

                Be aware of what can happen. And welcome to the SCA where if you ask three
                people the same question you will get at least 5 different answers. If you
                choose to wear one of the "Stoplight belt colors" (Red, Yellow and Green,)
                do so with respect to others but also without fear.

                Ian the Green

                --
                Yours In Service,

                Lord Ian the Green

              • christopher chastain
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                  Blue belts are used here in Trimaris by some. I personnaly say if they want those colors only used by those select individuals then they need to get it placed in corpora otherwise its fair game.

                  Yours in Humble Service,
                  Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

                  The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?

                  ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

                  > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: liamstliam@...
                  > Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 12:10:18 -0400
                  > Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: On belts...
                  >
                  > White belts are specifically, by Society law, restricted to members of the
                  > the Order of Chivalry. (Technically "unadorned.")
                  >
                  > The following are not in law, but are generally accepted:
                  >
                  > Red for squires.
                  > Green for apprences to Laurels.
                  > Yellow for proteges to Pelicans.
                  >
                  > The colors are fairly standard colors.
                  >
                  > Also, at least in parts of the East, people who are men-at-arms to squires
                  > and knights where blue belts, but I do not think that is widespread.
                  >
                  > Liam
                  >

                  > On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM, warbow67 <warbow67@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts specifically
                  > > listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I dyed
                  > > myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color
                  > > restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using the
                  > > "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what
                  > > anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping the
                  > > ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.
                  > >
                  > > Not a happy person right now.
                  > >
                  > > Dave H
                  > > Ainninn the Graye
                  > >
                  > > --------------------------------
                  > >

                  > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hey guys, I have a noobish question that I never thought of before.
                  > > >
                  > > > I know that red belts aren't specifically reserved for squires, as the
                  > > > only belt reserved in corpa is the white belt of chivalry. That being
                  > > > said, generally, the only people I ever see wearing red belts is guys
                  > > > that are squires.
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm looking into a plaque belt with enamaled peweter plaques in red
                  > > > and white, as those are both my colors, and aethelmearc's colors. They
                  > > > would look awesome set on a red belt, but i was wondering if I'd cause
                  > > > no end of grief for myself by mounting them to a belt of red leather.
                  > > >
                  > > > If so, I can go with a dark brown, or maybe a black.
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers!
                  > > >
                  > > > Cailin

                • Ian the Green
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                    Cailin,

                    //Traditional colors are: red belts for someone squired to a knight (SCA
                    peer
                    relating to combat), green belts for someone apprenticed to a pelican (SCA
                    Peer related to service), yellow belts for someone apprenticed to a Laurel,
                    (SCA peer related to Arts and Sciences).//

                    Did you mean to say it this way? I am unaware of a kingdom where
                    apprentices wear yellow and proteges wear green. It is a cool thought
                    though.

                    Ian

                    Yours In Service,

                    Lord Ian the Green

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                      No, that's me not paying attention to making sure the words were green,
                      apprentice, Laurel and yellow, protege, Pelican.

                      Liam

                      On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Ian the Green <ianthegreen01@...>wrote:

> [...]
                      > > knighthood. The only excuse I have for not knowing after all this time is
                      > > living in the hinterlands for the past few years.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers,
                      > >
                      > > Cailin
                      > >
                      > > On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM, warbow67 <warbow67@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts
                      > specifically
                      > > > listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I
                      > > dyed
                      > > > myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color
                      > > > restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using
                      > the
                      > > > "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what
                      > > > anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping
                      > > the
                      > > > ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.

                    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                        I did, but that does not mean I was correct. I've been out in the country
                        and away from things like laurels and apprentices and squires and knights.
                        Out here, we get excited when we see a belt that isn't black or brown. Or a
                        pointy hat. Any of these things gets conversation going for -months-.

                        Cailin

                      • Chris
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 9, 2011
                          Master Tekton,
                          Oh this was many,many years ago in a land I will, out of politeness and sureness that most of the perpetrators are gone,not mention. I was 22 and a Marine. I was the only Viking in a group and let us not say shunned, but there was friendly coercion to see the error of my ways and deny Red Thor for White Jesus! At the ripe age of 36 I found a group, which out of politeness and admiration I will mention, in Ansteorra. I walked into the Shire of Seawinds thinking I wanted to be an 11th century Welsh crusader. In the limited time I was there, I learned really what the SCA is about. Fun and friendship. Unfortunately, I had but a year with them. In that short period I decided it was time to be a Viking. I am an "experienced newcomer" and am chomping at the bit to jump in with both feet.

                          Arngrimr Thorvaldson

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:

                          > On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 05:56 +0000, Chris wrote:
                          > > a group who didn't want an unwashed heathen norseman or his plain
                          > > round shield,sounding horn and battlecries at their noble events.
                          >

                          > Hah! Around here, in the Middle Kingdom, it seems that lately when we
                          > see some unwashed heathen Norseman sounding his battlehorn, we say,
                          > "Lead on, YOUR MAJESTY!" Most of our royalty lately have been Norse
                          > persona. :-)
                          >
                          > Justin
                          >
                          > --
                          > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
                          > fesswise reversed sable.
                          >
                          > justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                        • Franchesca Bush
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 9, 2011
                            I do find that the people in Ansteorra are most helpful and I'm glad they
                            are my first real experience in the SCA. Thanks!