Re: [SCA Newcomers] On belts...

  • Susan B. Farmer
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 7, 2011
      On 6/7/2011 5:10 PM, Cailin Mac Kinnach wrote:
      > Hey guys, I have a noobish question that I never thought of before.
      >
      > I know that red belts aren't specifically reserved for squires, as the
      > only belt reserved in corpa is the white belt of chivalry. That being
      > said, generally, the only people I ever see wearing red belts is guys
      > that are squires.
      >
      > I'm looking into a plaque belt with enamaled peweter plaques in red
      > and white, as those are both my colors, and aethelmearc's colors. They
      > would look awesome set on a red belt, but i was wondering if I'd cause
      > no end of grief for myself by mounting them to a belt of red leather.
      >
      > If so, I can go with a dark brown, or maybe a black.

      In general, that's an *unadorned* white/green/yellow/red belt. IMO, go
      with whatever color looks best -- and say so if asked.

      The tradition is also stronger in some kingdoms than others.

      Jerusha
      --
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 7, 2011
        On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 22:30 +0000, Dave Roland wrote:
        > Understand that people may come up and ask you who you are attached
        > to. A simple explanation of, "No one, the color works well for...
        > [insert reason such as "my colors"" And that should be the end of it.

        And in just about *any* misstep, short of overt and deliberate rudeness
        or violation of modern-world law, an explanation of, "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm
        a newcomer and wasn't aware _______ was a problem," should suffice.

        As a very wise person once taught me, when I was a newcomer, even the
        highest-ranking noble in the SCA is still just a regular person in the
        real world: "Fill it up with unleaded and check the oil, please, Your
        Grace."

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 7, 2011
          Hail,
          First, the belt mentioned sounds like a very worthy project. I myself would like to see it. It will cause commotion with some and be admired by others. I myself was scared away years and years ago by a group who didn't want an unwashed heathen norseman or his plain round shield,sounding horn and battlecries at their noble events. To my detriment I didn't get back into the SCA until much later. I am now a "newbie" at a late age and glad of it.Do what makes you happy. The fact that you asked shows you are thinking of others. I agree with most of the advice given. If you have a good explanation and present it with knowledge of law and respect for tradition many will be appeased.And some you can never make happy.
          That said,I was wondering about ring belts. I have read some messages and dug around some,but haven't got a solid grasp. Is the ring belt an accepted SCA fashion accessory that is not exactly period? I have looked (internet only, have no access to hard copy or library books due to deployment)and find a lot of material on belt buckles and belt ends dating back to pre-600. Not a lot about just ring belts.
          I am no history scholar and am no slave to living history style accuracy. I am all in favor of a "look" (i.e butted chainmail vs super expensive flatring mail)because we are creating the current middle ages after all. Usually on a budget. But I do like authenticity and strive for it where I can.
          So if someone can help straighten me out it would be much appreciated.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
            On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 05:56 +0000, Chris wrote:
            > a group who didn't want an unwashed heathen norseman or his plain
            > round shield,sounding horn and battlecries at their noble events.

            Hah! Around here, in the Middle Kingdom, it seems that lately when we
            see some unwashed heathen Norseman sounding his battlehorn, we say,
            "Lead on, YOUR MAJESTY!" Most of our royalty lately have been Norse
            persona. :-)

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • warbow67
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
              OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts specifically listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I dyed myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using the "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping the ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.

              Not a happy person right now.

              Dave H
              Ainninn the Graye

              --------------------------------

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...> wrote:

              > Hey guys, I have a noobish question that I never thought of before.
              >
              > I know that red belts aren't specifically reserved for squires, as the
              > only belt reserved in corpa is the white belt of chivalry. That being
              > said, generally, the only people I ever see wearing red belts is guys
              > that are squires.
              >
              > I'm looking into a plaque belt with enamaled peweter plaques in red
              > and white, as those are both my colors, and aethelmearc's colors. They
              > would look awesome set on a red belt, but i was wondering if I'd cause
              > no end of grief for myself by mounting them to a belt of red leather.
              >
              > If so, I can go with a dark brown, or maybe a black.
              >
              > Cheers!
              >
              > Cailin

            • Bill Toscano
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                White belts are specifically, by Society law, restricted to members of the
                the Order of Chivalry. (Technically "unadorned.")

                The following are not in law, but are generally accepted:

                Red for squires.
                Green for apprences to Laurels.
                Yellow for proteges to Pelicans.

                The colors are fairly standard colors.

                Also, at least in parts of the East, people who are men-at-arms to squires
                and knights where blue belts, but I do not think that is widespread.

                Liam

                On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM, warbow67 <warbow67@...> wrote:

                > OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts specifically
                > listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I dyed
                > myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color
                > restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using the
                > "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what
                > anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping the
                > ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.
                >
                > Not a happy person right now.
                >
                > Dave H
                > Ainninn the Graye
                >
                > --------------------------------
                >

                > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey guys, I have a noobish question that I never thought of before.
                > >
                > > I know that red belts aren't specifically reserved for squires, as the
                > > only belt reserved in corpa is the white belt of chivalry. That being
                > > said, generally, the only people I ever see wearing red belts is guys
                > > that are squires.
                > >
                > > I'm looking into a plaque belt with enamaled peweter plaques in red
                > > and white, as those are both my colors, and aethelmearc's colors. They
                > > would look awesome set on a red belt, but i was wondering if I'd cause
                > > no end of grief for myself by mounting them to a belt of red leather.
                > >
                > > If so, I can go with a dark brown, or maybe a black.
                > >
                > > Cheers!
                > >
                > > Cailin

              • Cailin Mac Kinnach
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                  The only color of belt that is reserved is white, for the chivalry.

                  Traditional colors are: red belts for someone squired to a knight (SCA peer
                  relating to combat), green belts for someone apprenticed to a pelican (SCA
                  Peer related to service), yellow belts for someone apprenticed to a Laurel,
                  (SCA peer related to Arts and Sciences).

                  Some kingdoms include these traditions in sumptery laws, others do not. What
                  kingdom are you in?
                  If a kingdom does not have as law that a particular belt color is reserved,
                  then as long as it is not white, there is nothing to stop you from wearing
                  it. Even if there is, as its burgundy, I think you'd be fine as long as you
                  did not walk up to every squire and say something like, "See this not red
                  belt? I'm not a squire, and its not red, so I can wear it!" (Yes, I've seen
                  people do stuff like this, allot, in the SCA.) you should be fine.

                  Do you fight? Do you have aspirations of striving for knighthood? If the
                  answer is no to either of these questions, then I would not worry overly
                  much. If you do, then you have to consider that some people with direct
                  influence in that circle may be touchy about it.

                  Honestly, after having looked through allot of pictures, I think you'll be
                  fine with a burgandy belt. The red squires belt tends to be a very red
                  color.

                  The question is a big deal for me becaue I'm a: not new, (I've been playing
                  since 2006), and b: fighting is my main pursuit, and I am striving towards
                  knighthood. The only excuse I have for not knowing after all this time is
                  living in the hinterlands for the past few years.

                  Cheers,

                  Cailin

                  On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM, warbow67 <warbow67@...> wrote:

                  > OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts specifically
                  > listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I dyed
                  > myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color
                  > restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using the
                  > "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what
                  > anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping the
                  > ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.
                  >
                  > Not a happy person right now.
                  >
                  > Dave H
                  > Ainninn the Graye
                  >
                  > --------------------------------
                  >

                  > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey guys, I have a noobish question that I never thought of before.
                  > >
                  > > I know that red belts aren't specifically reserved for squires, as the
                  > > only belt reserved in corpa is the white belt of chivalry. That being
                  > > said, generally, the only people I ever see wearing red belts is guys
                  > > that are squires.
                  > >
                  > > I'm looking into a plaque belt with enamaled peweter plaques in red
                  > > and white, as those are both my colors, and aethelmearc's colors. They
                  > > would look awesome set on a red belt, but i was wondering if I'd cause
                  > > no end of grief for myself by mounting them to a belt of red leather.
                  > >
                  > > If so, I can go with a dark brown, or maybe a black.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers!
                  > >
                  > > Cailin

                • Nicole E. Miller
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                    The only "restricted" belt is "an unadorned white belt" reserved for members of the Chiv. That is in Corpora. Everything else is merely a custom. Its stronger in some places than others, but it is by no means a rule. If people are snarky about it, its a failing on their part, not yours.

                    Sian

                    ---- warbow67 <warbow67@...> wrote:

                    =============
                    OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts specifically listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I dyed myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using the "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping the ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.

                    Not a happy person right now.

                    Dave H
                    Ainninn the Graye

                    --------------------------------

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...> wrote:

                    > Hey guys, I have a noobish question that I never thought of before.
                    >
                    > I know that red belts aren't specifically reserved for squires, as the
                    > only belt reserved in corpa is the white belt of chivalry. That being
                    > said, generally, the only people I ever see wearing red belts is guys
                    > that are squires.
                    >
                    > I'm looking into a plaque belt with enamaled peweter plaques in red
                    > and white, as those are both my colors, and aethelmearc's colors. They
                    > would look awesome set on a red belt, but i was wondering if I'd cause
                    > no end of grief for myself by mounting them to a belt of red leather.
                    >
                    > If so, I can go with a dark brown, or maybe a black.
                    >
                    > Cheers!
                    >
                    > Cailin

                  • Ian the Green
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                      There is only one rule regarding belts.

                      White is reserved for Knights. In some Kingdoms it is only an undecorated
                      white belt.

                      Anyone can where any other color belt that they desire.

                      CUSTOM (and the force of custom) varies from Kingdom to Kingdom. However,
                      the norm that I know of in the three Kingdoms I have lived in is as follows
                      regarding belts.

                      Squires (a person attached to a Knight in a formal manner) often wear red
                      belts;

                      Apprentices (a person attached to a Laurel in a formal manner) often wear
                      green belts;

                      Proteges (a person attached to a Pelican in a formal manner) often wear
                      yellow belts.

                      Generally speaking those who wear these belts as a sign of being attached to
                      one of the above wear them plain or with the arms of who they are attached
                      to or those who wore the belt before them. Some belts have great lineage on
                      them and it is a great conversation opener.

                      Anyone who desires to may wear any color belt that they desire to. Be aware
                      that if you wear any of the colors above that you may get asked who your
                      Knight/Laurel/Pelican is. There is no need to use, "I'm new," as an excuse.

                      You can simply say that, "These are my personal colors," or, "I saw this
                      kind and color of a belt in a period painting/illumination/picture and
                      thought it was very neat," or any such thing such as, "It looks great with
                      my outfit."

                      In some Kingdoms they are taking Man-at-Arms and giving them Blue Belts
                      though this is hardly society-wide.

                      It is also strongly recommended that you avoid wearing an undecorated gold
                      chain (largish links most often) as this is also a symbol of Knighthood.

                      As a Chatelain, and as an apprentice, I tell my newcomers what the custom is
                      and to be aware if they wear these colors of belts people may ask them some
                      questions. But being an apprentice/protege/squire does not give anyone any
                      more privileges than anyone else. In fact it gives us (often) a higher code
                      of conduct to follow and perhaps some greater visibility but nothing in the
                      way of higher station at all. These are not stations in the SCA such as
                      Lord, Honorable Lord, Peer, Baron(ess) etc etc etc.

                      Be aware of what can happen. And welcome to the SCA where if you ask three
                      people the same question you will get at least 5 different answers. If you
                      choose to wear one of the "Stoplight belt colors" (Red, Yellow and Green,)
                      do so with respect to others but also without fear.

                      Ian the Green

                      --
                      Yours In Service,

                      Lord Ian the Green

                    • christopher chastain
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                        Blue belts are used here in Trimaris by some. I personnaly say if they want those colors only used by those select individuals then they need to get it placed in corpora otherwise its fair game.

                        Yours in Humble Service,
                        Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

                        The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?

                        ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

                        > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: liamstliam@...
                        > Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 12:10:18 -0400
                        > Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: On belts...
                        >
                        > White belts are specifically, by Society law, restricted to members of the
                        > the Order of Chivalry. (Technically "unadorned.")
                        >
                        > The following are not in law, but are generally accepted:
                        >
                        > Red for squires.
                        > Green for apprences to Laurels.
                        > Yellow for proteges to Pelicans.
                        >
                        > The colors are fairly standard colors.
                        >
                        > Also, at least in parts of the East, people who are men-at-arms to squires
                        > and knights where blue belts, but I do not think that is widespread.
                        >
                        > Liam
                        >

                        > On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM, warbow67 <warbow67@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts specifically
                        > > listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I dyed
                        > > myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color
                        > > restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using the
                        > > "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what
                        > > anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping the
                        > > ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.
                        > >
                        > > Not a happy person right now.
                        > >
                        > > Dave H
                        > > Ainninn the Graye
                        > >
                        > > --------------------------------
                        > >

                        > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hey guys, I have a noobish question that I never thought of before.
                        > > >
                        > > > I know that red belts aren't specifically reserved for squires, as the
                        > > > only belt reserved in corpa is the white belt of chivalry. That being
                        > > > said, generally, the only people I ever see wearing red belts is guys
                        > > > that are squires.
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm looking into a plaque belt with enamaled peweter plaques in red
                        > > > and white, as those are both my colors, and aethelmearc's colors. They
                        > > > would look awesome set on a red belt, but i was wondering if I'd cause
                        > > > no end of grief for myself by mounting them to a belt of red leather.
                        > > >
                        > > > If so, I can go with a dark brown, or maybe a black.
                        > > >
                        > > > Cheers!
                        > > >
                        > > > Cailin

                      • Ian the Green
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                          Cailin,

                          //Traditional colors are: red belts for someone squired to a knight (SCA
                          peer
                          relating to combat), green belts for someone apprenticed to a pelican (SCA
                          Peer related to service), yellow belts for someone apprenticed to a Laurel,
                          (SCA peer related to Arts and Sciences).//

                          Did you mean to say it this way? I am unaware of a kingdom where
                          apprentices wear yellow and proteges wear green. It is a cool thought
                          though.

                          Ian

                          Yours In Service,

                          Lord Ian the Green

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                            No, that's me not paying attention to making sure the words were green,
                            apprentice, Laurel and yellow, protege, Pelican.

                            Liam

                            On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Ian the Green <ianthegreen01@...>wrote:

> [...]
                            > > knighthood. The only excuse I have for not knowing after all this time is
                            > > living in the hinterlands for the past few years.
                            > >
                            > > Cheers,
                            > >
                            > > Cailin
                            > >
                            > > On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM, warbow67 <warbow67@...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > > OK could someone please clarify these color rules for belts
                            > specifically
                            > > > listing the colors? I have a new belt I was planing on wearing that I
                            > > dyed
                            > > > myself to a burgundy color, and nobody has told me yet of any color
                            > > > restrictions, this is all new to me. And I have no intention of using
                            > the
                            > > > "beginner" excuse as what I make stays with me for life no matter what
                            > > > anyone says. Failure goes completely to the SCA as a whole for dropping
                            > > the
                            > > > ball and not clearly explaining this stuff for newcomers.

                          • Cailin Mac Kinnach
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 8, 2011
                              I did, but that does not mean I was correct. I've been out in the country
                              and away from things like laurels and apprentices and squires and knights.
                              Out here, we get excited when we see a belt that isn't black or brown. Or a
                              pointy hat. Any of these things gets conversation going for -months-.

                              Cailin

                            • Chris
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 9, 2011
                                Master Tekton,
                                Oh this was many,many years ago in a land I will, out of politeness and sureness that most of the perpetrators are gone,not mention. I was 22 and a Marine. I was the only Viking in a group and let us not say shunned, but there was friendly coercion to see the error of my ways and deny Red Thor for White Jesus! At the ripe age of 36 I found a group, which out of politeness and admiration I will mention, in Ansteorra. I walked into the Shire of Seawinds thinking I wanted to be an 11th century Welsh crusader. In the limited time I was there, I learned really what the SCA is about. Fun and friendship. Unfortunately, I had but a year with them. In that short period I decided it was time to be a Viking. I am an "experienced newcomer" and am chomping at the bit to jump in with both feet.

                                Arngrimr Thorvaldson

                                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:

                                > On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 05:56 +0000, Chris wrote:
                                > > a group who didn't want an unwashed heathen norseman or his plain
                                > > round shield,sounding horn and battlecries at their noble events.
                                >

                                > Hah! Around here, in the Middle Kingdom, it seems that lately when we
                                > see some unwashed heathen Norseman sounding his battlehorn, we say,
                                > "Lead on, YOUR MAJESTY!" Most of our royalty lately have been Norse
                                > persona. :-)
                                >
                                > Justin
                                >
                                > --
                                > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
                                > fesswise reversed sable.
                                >
                                > justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                              • Franchesca Bush
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 9, 2011
                                  I do find that the people in Ansteorra are most helpful and I'm glad they
                                  are my first real experience in the SCA. Thanks!