Stefan's Florilegium article for June 2011

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for June detailing what is
      new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
      or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
      to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
      written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
      an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
      Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
      format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      Thank you to the 1 percent or so of readers who have supported the
      Florilegium site by taking the time to select and look at one of the
      ads when you visited. Your clicking on the ads pays the operating
      costs of the site.

      Lastly, if you have any suggestions, questions, comments or criticisms
      about the Florilegium, please feel free to email me.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -----------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
      research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate
      alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the BEVERAGES section:
      Non-Alco-Bevs-art "Non Alcoholic Beverages of the Middle Ages"
      by HL Rory McGowen.
      In the CULTURES section:
      Denmark-msg History and culture of Denmark.
      In the FEAST-REViEWS section:
      AB-Saturnalia-msg Barony of al-Barran's Midwinter feast in Dec.
      2010 by Mistress Cailte Caitchairn, O.L.
      In the FEASTS section:
      food-safety-msg Comments on serving food safely in the SCA.
      In the PENNSIC section:
      Pensc-Caltrop-art "Making a caltrop at Pennsic 24" by Wilelm the
      Smith.
      In the PERSONAL CARE section:
      Medvl-Pills-art "The Form and Function of Pills and Troches in
      the Middle Ages" by HE Mistress Onora
      O'Toole, OP.
      In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
      rose-hips-msg Medieval use of rose hips. Recipes.
      In the SCA-INC section:
      frecyclng-SCA-msg Freecyling within the SCA. Putting out items
      to give away.
      In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
      Thrwng-n-Towl-art "Throwing in the Towel on the SCA" by
      Duchess Dame Yolande Kesteven.
      In the SCRIBAL-ARTS section:
      Bookbindng-BH-art "Bookbinding: a brief history" by Lady Isabell
      Winter.
      In the STRUCUTRES section:
      tent-walls-msg Useful comments on tent and pavilion walls.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      p-dental-care-msg Period dental care. dentures. cavities.
      Atlantia-hist-msg Histories of the Kingdom of Atlantia.
      banners-msg Flags and banners. Period and SCA construction.
      blood-dishes-msg Use of blood in period foods. Recipes.
      child-clothes-msg Period and SCA children's clothing.
      coronets-msg Medieval coronets and crowns. Modern sources
      fashion-msg Why certain clothes were in fashion.
      fish-pies-msg Period fish pies. Recipes.
      fowls-a-birds-msg Period fowls and birds. Period Chickens.
      lentils-msg Period lentil dishes and comments on lentils
      ovens-msg Medieval ovens.
      peacocks-msg Serving peacock sotelties safely.
      querns-msg Small hand mills for grinding grains.
      whisks-msg Period whisks.
      ---
      Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2011
        Honorable Lord Stefan,
        I have used the Florilegium extensively, plucking gems and choice tid-bits for my use. Therefore, being a conscientous soul attempted to donate via the PayPal button. Alas, I was thwarted not once but thrice! It may be a gremlin on my end, but thought it wise to inform you. Thank you for your time and hardwork in compiling the information for use, you are a grand asset.
        Chris
        "Arngrimr"

> [...]
        > child-clothes-msg Period and SCA children's clothing.
        > coronets-msg Medieval coronets and crowns. Modern sources
        > fashion-msg Why certain clothes were in fashion.
        > fish-pies-msg Period fish pies. Recipes.
        > fowls-a-birds-msg Period fowls and birds. Period Chickens.
        > lentils-msg Period lentil dishes and comments on lentils
        > ovens-msg Medieval ovens.
        > peacocks-msg Serving peacock sotelties safely.
        > querns-msg Small hand mills for grinding grains.
        > whisks-msg Period whisks.
        > ---
        > Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
        > publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
        > unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
        > the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
        > introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact

      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2011
          Posted by: "Chris" chris_brock00@... chris_brock00

          <<< Honorable Lord Stefan,
          I have used the Florilegium extensively, plucking gems and choice tid-
          bits for my use. Therefore, being a conscientous soul attempted to
          donate via the PayPal button. Alas, I was thwarted not once but
          thrice! It may be a gremlin on my end, but thought it wise to inform
          you. Thank you for your time and hardwork in compiling the information
          for use, you are a grand asset.
          Chris
          "Arngrimr" >>>

          Thank you! It's been a while since I got a notice of anyone making a
          donation, so PayPal could have changed something. When I tried it from
          my end though, just now, I didn't have any trouble bringing up the
          PayPal page. Did that page not come up for you? Since it asks you to
          login with your PayPal account no. or lets you cancel back to the
          Florilegium, I assume I got to the right place okay. I didn't check it
          all the way through. It doesn't make much sense to send myself money
          that way, to test it, since PayPal would take a cut. :-)

          There is an error when you 'cancel' out and I'll see about fixing that.

          If you can let me know more about what exactly happened from your end,
          I can try to troubleshoot it. Do you already have a PayPal account?
          What browser and operating system are you using? Have you been able to
          use PayPal elsewhere?

          For folks that don't have or don't wish to have a PayPal account, you
          can always send me a check. I'm not an official non-profit site
          though, although the site barely pays for itself, so I can't offer a
          tax deduction. :-(

          Mark S. Harris
          4105 Dauphine Dr.
          Austin, TX 78727

          Thanks,
          Stefan

          --------
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2011
            HL Stefan,
            I have a Pay-Pal account I use quite a bit and have never had a problem on that end. I am using the latest Internet Explorer with Windows 7,but again haven't had a problem there.
            It kept sending me to a "Internet Explorer can't find the page" page. If that doesn't sound too daft. I haven't tried it since (a week ago?). I will attempt it again, if not I will render unto HL Stefan what is due via old fashioned check. Thank you for the response and again for the diligent catalouging of the many useful messages (which are the proverbial hoot) and articles.
            Chris
            Arngrimr Thorvaldson