Looking for a herald (?) who helped me a long time ago

  • Regi
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2011
      Hello,

      I as hoping someone could help me find someone from the College of Heralds (?) helped with with a persona. I know he was male, actually lived in Italy at the time we corresponded, had a "lady" whom I assume was his wife, and I think I got in touch with him by asking a question about a name.

      The persona he proposed was perfect for me - I wanted to be of mixed ethnicity and needed a reason for being dark-skinned (I'm Black and Filipino, I can only role-play so much LOL), wanted to run a tavern in England, wanted to speak English, Latin and Italian, and wanted to learn a "secret" Medieval Italian bookkeeping/accounting language. He came up with the greatest story about being an illegitimate child of an Italian nobleman who paid for my education, met me as an infant, but couldn't claim me, I learned all the languages I wanted to, moved to England, ran a tavern with Italian wines, etc. and for the life of me I cannot think of the time period, what region of Italy this story made sense - a lot of the backbone of the persona. I've done research off and on, but the location in Italy is presumably really important, and I assume the time period would influence how I was educated.

      I also wanted to thank this person for putting an idea in my had that I've never forgotten :)

      If anyone can help find the person that would be wonderful, and if anyone wants to correspond regarding research of such a person that would be wonderful too.

      Regards,

      Reg (from Caid)
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2011
        Reg (from Caid) said:
        <<< The persona he proposed was perfect for me - I wanted to be of
        mixed ethnicity and needed a reason for being dark-skinned (I'm Black
        and Filipino, I can only role-play so much LOL), wanted to run a
        tavern in England, wanted to speak English, Latin and Italian, and
        wanted to learn a "secret" Medieval Italian bookkeeping/accounting
        language. >>>

        I don't think I can help you locate your Caidian friend and this list,
        covering the entire Known World might not be the best route, either.
        You might ask on the Caid Kingdom mail list.

        Dark skinned in England is a bit difficult. More common in Spain and
        Italy, itself. I would generally say just ignore what you can't
        change. Which is why we have red-headed Sammauri in the SCA.

        I'm not sure if this will help for England, but you might wish to
        check out this file in the CULTURES section of the Florilegium:
        blacks-msg (80K) 1/16/05 Blacks in medieval Europe.

        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/blacks-msg.html

        Taverns and tavern owners were not high-class places in England in the
        Middle Ages. However, this might in fact help with your darker skin.
        Some of the books will have better info, but this file in the
        ENTERTAINMENT section might be of use:

        taverns-msg (57K) 10/ 4/10 SCA and period taverns.

        http://www.florilegium.org/files/ENTERTAINMENT/taverns-msg.html

        <<< He came up with the greatest story about being an illegitimate
        child of an Italian nobleman who paid for my education, met me as an
        infant, but couldn't claim me, I learned all the languages I wanted
        to, moved to England, ran a tavern with Italian wines, etc. and for
        the life of me I cannot think of the time period, what region of Italy
        this story made sense - a lot of the backbone of the persona >>>

        I would say don't get caught up in some fantastical, unlikely persona
        story. How often do you meet someone new in the mundane world and a
        few minutes later you are spilling out the entire history of your life
        with a lot of esoteric details? You don't? Then you don't need to do
        so in the SCA.

        If you are trying to work in the fact that you do rapier combat but
        your persona is a Norman shopkeeper, then don't try to explain it. We
        all somehow ended up in the Known World. Some things you learn once
        you got "here". Some are from your persona's life.

        persona-art (14K) 11/12/96 An article on persona by Duke Cariadoc.

        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/persona-art.html

        Stefan

        --------