Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Non-permanent shoe covers

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 19 6:57 AM
      On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 08:47 +0000, Chris wrote:
      > Yeah after reading the concerned responses I figured everyone thought
      > I had on some merrell slip ons sending chiurgeons into apoplexy!

      Not this Chirurgeon. My job is simply to advise. You're a grownup and
      you've signed a waiver -- if you want to fight in pink Easter bunny
      bedroom slippers, I'll point out to you that it's a bad idea, but then
      I'll stand aside as you make your own decision whether to heed my
      advice. I might quietly increase my inventory of ice packs and 4x4
      bandages, however. {GRIN}

      As you or someone else pointed out, SCA combat rarely involves weapons
      hitting the ankles or feet, as they're well below the legal target zone.
      In 10+ years fighting, I've never been hit in the shin, let alone in the
      foot.

      On the other hand, I have worked Chirurgeon at the Pennsic Woods Battle
      and have treated all manner of foot injuries due to terrain and
      obstacles. In one case, a fighter accidentally kicked a stump so hard
      he...well, let's not get gory, and just leave it with "his big toe was
      not a pretty sight."

      It sounds to me as if you've got a good handle on the safety aspect of
      foot gear, and I didn't mean to sound like a nanny. It wasn't clear from
      your initial post that you'd been fighting for a couple of years
      already, and I made the same Merrells and turnshoes assumption as
      everyone else.

      Have fun, play safe, don't get hurt, don't hurt anyone else. Kill them
      all day long. Just don't hurt them. :-)

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/