Non-permanent shoe covers

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 9 , May 17, 2011
      Okay I have been looking for a way to cover my Merrel shoes to wear during heavy fighting. I found this site and their is a great article for permanent fixture of leather on boots.
      http://mattyds.com/index.php
      I am looking to make a "spat" type cover resembling a viking turn shoe and veer away from the more permanent "shoe goo" method". Any thoughts, ideas,patterns and advice is much appreciated.
    • Theanswerlady1
      Message 2 of 9 , May 17, 2011
        get steel toe boots at Wally world and protect your toes. More important than making your Merrels look Viking. - sorry if that's not the answer you're looking for but you'll want to consider what it will feel like getting stepped on by a bunch of others in armor

        Okay I have been looking for a way to cover my Merrel shoes to wear during heavy fighting. I found this site and their is a great article for permanent fixture of leather on boots.
        http://mattyds.com/index.php
        I am looking to make a "spat" type cover resembling a viking turn shoe and veer away from the more permanent "shoe goo" method". Any thoughts, ideas,patterns and advice is much appreciated.

      • christopher chastain
        Message 3 of 9 , May 17, 2011
          I agree with this statement, remember there are some BIG boys on the field. Corn feed line backer size wearing heavy armor and alot of them, its not just the idea of one stepping on your foot but think of a pile of bodies all piled up on each other. Thats alot of weight, leave your pretty shoes for when your not in armor and get some strong steel toed boots for when in armor.

          Yours in Humble Service,
          Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

          Live forever or die trying!

          ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          From: theanswerlady1@...
          Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 17:08:20 -0400
          Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Non-permanent shoe covers

          get steel toe boots at Wally world and protect your toes. More important than making your Merrels look Viking. - sorry if that's not the answer you're looking for but you'll want to consider what it will feel like getting stepped on by a bunch of others in armor

          Okay I have been looking for a way to cover my Merrel shoes to wear during heavy fighting. I found this site and their is a great article for permanent fixture of leather on boots.
          http://mattyds.com/index.php
          I am looking to make a "spat" type cover resembling a viking turn shoe and veer away from the more permanent "shoe goo" method". Any thoughts, ideas,patterns and advice is much appreciated.

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 9 , May 17, 2011
            On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 17:39 -0400, christopher chastain wrote:
            > I agree with this statement, remember there are some BIG boys on the
            > field. Corn feed line backer size wearing heavy armor and alot of
            > them, its not just the idea of one stepping on your foot but think of
            > a pile of bodies all piled up on each other. Thats alot of weight,
            > leave your pretty shoes for when your not in armor and get some strong
            > steel toed boots for when in armor.

            I'm a Chirurgeon, which is SCA-speak for "first aid provider." I'm also
            a warranted Marshal in the Midrealm. Much as I love authenticity, I will
            say for the record that from the perspective of either my Marshal hat or
            my Chirurgeon hat, I would much rather see you be safe than authentic
            when it comes to fighting.

            Wear a good sturdy pair of modern boots. If you can find a way to cover
            them with thin leather to make them look period, great. If not, don't
            sweat it.

            There *are* heavy-duty period boots. I know because I own a pair. I do
            not wear them fighting because they cost me $300 ten years ago. I wear
            them when I'm in real garb, including at camping events, but when I
            fight I wear a pair of dark brown modern hiking boots. They aren't
            period, but with the dark brown color they aren't jarringly modern. At
            demos where modern folk are watching, they are so captivated by armor
            that I doubt many of them ever even glance at footgear.

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2011
              Thanks all, good advice and well taken. Being a bigger boy myself(6' 225) and having a proclivity towards chain maille I understand the advice. I probably should have specified my shoe selection and my level of experience. I'm fairly new to the SCA, just about three years Ansteorran experience. I have been fighting during this time, and have been wearing a black pair of steel toe Hi-Tech s.w.a.t type boots. They are heavy and not so comfortable. I got a pair of used Merrel Widerness hiking boots with an aftermarket kevlar toe inserted by a boot maker. They are 3 pounds total versus my 5.5 pound High-Techs. It sounds like a trivial amount, but at the end of the day the Merrels are lighter and much,much more comfortable. They look fairly period, but just wanted to go that extra step. I am kind of a wanderer due to my job, so I don't have a huge group of folks to hit up for advice or pick their brains on some subjects. Thanks again for the concern and advice. I apologize for not be more clear.
              I did sit down and make a template.I will bend the ear of some leather worker or bribe them with mead to help make a workable rendition of my design. But this will have to wait until I return from work.
              Chris
              Arngrimr (Stigandr)

            • bronwynmgn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 18, 2011
                <I agree with this statement, remember there are some BIG boys on the field. Corn
                eed line backer size wearing heavy armor and alot of them, its not just the
                dea of one stepping on your foot but think of a pile of bodies all piled up on
                ach other. Thats alot of weight, leave your pretty shoes for when your not in
                rmor and get some strong steel toed boots for when in armor.

                n the other hand, my husband, who is not large (5 foot 9) has been fighting for years in period turnsole shoes and has never had a foot injury or reported being stepped on. He fights mostly tournaments rather than war battles, but he has fought the Pennsic field battle in period shoes. There might be more of a problem with getting stepped on in close quarters stuff like bridge battles, but he hates those anyway and doesn't fight them.
                Lancaster, PA

              • Theanswerlady1
                Message 7 of 9 , May 18, 2011
                  glad you clarified on which merrels you were referring to. I think we all went to the casual slip ons that are so prevalent in offices and coffee houses :)

                  We are leatherworkers, but in Bestwode Shire, Kingdom of the West and so probably too far from you to do fittings - or we'd be glad to work with you on your project

                  Tzipah and Ravn, Clannah Drakonis, Bestwode Shire, Principality of Cynaugua, Kingdom of the West

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 19, 2011
                    Yeah after reading the concerned responses I figured everyone thought I had on some merrell slip ons sending chiurgeons into apoplexy!. I do fight in non-steel toe shoes(my merrell chameleon hex are great!) quite a bit, but certain events call for certain protection.
                    My answer for a spat type cover was to basically use a soleless turn shoe with a stirrup fastened with an adjustable toggle. It works in theory and my templates (made out of an old towel) seem workable. Thanks for the polite offer for help. I currently reside in Alabama and am positive I will receive just as gracious an offer from some leather enlightened soul there. Thank you.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 19, 2011
                      On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 08:47 +0000, Chris wrote:
                      > Yeah after reading the concerned responses I figured everyone thought
                      > I had on some merrell slip ons sending chiurgeons into apoplexy!

                      Not this Chirurgeon. My job is simply to advise. You're a grownup and
                      you've signed a waiver -- if you want to fight in pink Easter bunny
                      bedroom slippers, I'll point out to you that it's a bad idea, but then
                      I'll stand aside as you make your own decision whether to heed my
                      advice. I might quietly increase my inventory of ice packs and 4x4
                      bandages, however. {GRIN}

                      As you or someone else pointed out, SCA combat rarely involves weapons
                      hitting the ankles or feet, as they're well below the legal target zone.
                      In 10+ years fighting, I've never been hit in the shin, let alone in the
                      foot.

                      On the other hand, I have worked Chirurgeon at the Pennsic Woods Battle
                      and have treated all manner of foot injuries due to terrain and
                      obstacles. In one case, a fighter accidentally kicked a stump so hard
                      he...well, let's not get gory, and just leave it with "his big toe was
                      not a pretty sight."

                      It sounds to me as if you've got a good handle on the safety aspect of
                      foot gear, and I didn't mean to sound like a nanny. It wasn't clear from
                      your initial post that you'd been fighting for a couple of years
                      already, and I made the same Merrells and turnshoes assumption as
                      everyone else.

                      Have fun, play safe, don't get hurt, don't hurt anyone else. Kill them
                      all day long. Just don't hurt them. :-)