Re: Makeup?

  • Dave Roland
    Message 1 of 8 , May 13, 2011
      Wear whatever you want as long as it is normal everyday makeup.

      Ian the Green
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Amber Russell" <amberalamode@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      > I have yet another question. I don't want to interfere with other folks' enjoyment by not keeping in the authenticity of the period. So, my question is, is it acceptable for women to wear makeup and if so what is deemed appropriate?
      >
      > Many thanks!
      > Amber

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2011
        Amber asked:
        <<< I don't want to interfere with other folks' enjoyment by not
        keeping in the authenticity of the period. So, my question is, is it
        acceptable for women to wear makeup and if so what is deemed
        appropriate? >>>

        As others have mentioned, I would generally wear what you normally
        would wear.

        Unless perhaps you have bright red or purple hair or a lot of
        piercings, you won't stand out enough to be intrusive.

        If you do have a brightly artificial hair color, I would recommend
        covering it with a hat, headdress or veil. In general, only unmarried
        women went around with their hair uncovered. I know some women in the
        SCA who will wear additional long braided locks if they prefer or
        can't wear their hair long.

        Make-up and hair coloring was done in the Middle Ages. Whether it was
        frowned upon by the church would depend upon the time period and place.
        Certain make-up, such as lipstick may also have connotations in period
        that you don't want (harlot, prostitute) but unless you are playing
        such a persona, this is still the modern age and most people won't
        make assumptions.

        There is a lot of information about period make-up and hair care in
        the PERSONAL CARE section of the Florilegium.

        My favorite phrase from the hair-dyeing-msg file is:
        <<< I'm much minded of the Will Cuppy essay where he gives Lucrezia
        Borgia's hair-bleach formula, and finishes up with "If your hair
        remained on your head, you were a blonde." >>>

        So I would be careful when experimenting with any of the period
        recipes. Lye, arsenic and lead compounds show up in various recipes.
        I've heard that Queen Elizabeth caked on white lead onto her face to
        get a pale complexion and by the end of her life she was having to put
        it on pretty heavy to cover the damage that it had already done.

        Some files in the PERSONAL CARE section to explore:
        cosmetics-lnks (10K) 4/18/06 Links to info on medieval cosmetics and
        perfumes by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.

        cosmetics-msg (16K) 5/13/10 Period cosmetics and skin care.

        Handcream-art (16K) 6/ 5/00 "Handcream" by Constance de LaRose.

        handcream-msg (12K) 4/17/08 Medieval lotions and handcreams. recipes.

        Hand-Lotion-art (4K) 6/21/08 "A Lotion Recipe from Late Period
        England" by Lady Rebecca the Contrary.

        hair-msg (94K) 2/ 6/11 Period and SCA hairstyling and care.

        hair-dyeing-msg (12K) 9/ 4/01 Period hair bleaching and dyeing.

        Perfumes-bib (20K) 12/26/00 "Perfumes Bibliography" by Nora Siri Bock.

        perfumes-msg (36K) 9/19/02 Medieval perfumes and pomanders.

        In the ACCESSORIES section:

        body-piercngs-msg (4K) 11/27/05 Body piercings, other than for ear
        rings.

        --------
      • angela
        Message 3 of 8 , May 26, 2011
          I am very new as well, but I do have a few suggestions on this. Do a "natural" look.
          -Tinted moisturiser instead of thick foundation (provides sunscreen, color, and doesn't get oily nasty when sweating)
          -Brown eyeliner (unless you have black hair!) instead of a colored or black
          -Brown Masacara, again if you have black hair use black. Honestly I would simplify and just use an eyelash curler (defines the eyes a bit) and skip it entirely
          -LipSTAIN only a shade or two darker than your natural lip color. Gloss or lipstick would be more obtrusive than stain.
          -make sure to cover the lipstain with a chapstick type thing with SPF (sunburned lips...ouch)

          This is what I do when I am taking my son to the zoo and so forth. It usually doesn't need touching up, if it does not much at all.

          Angie