Makeup?

  • Amber Russell
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2011
      Hello!
      I have yet another question. I don't want to interfere with other folks' enjoyment by not keeping in the authenticity of the period. So, my question is, is it acceptable for women to wear makeup and if so what is deemed appropriate?

      Many thanks!
      Amber
    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2011
        I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yes. I'm a guy, so keep that in mind.
        That being said, if I ever heard someone at an event giving someone grief
        over tasteful make up, I'd give them grief for harshing the mellow.

        Now, that is to say, SCA events probably aren't the best place to dress up
        like an anne rice character, or what not. But then, I've seen my fair share
        of eye linered pirates wandering around SCA events too.

        Bad ideas:

        elf ears, prosthetic teeth, fairy wings, etc.

        Cailin

        On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Amber Russell <amberalamode@...>wrote:

        > Hello!
        > I have yet another question. I don't want to interfere with other folks'
        > enjoyment by not keeping in the authenticity of the period. So, my question
        > is, is it acceptable for women to wear makeup and if so what is deemed
        > appropriate?
        >
        > Many thanks!
        > Amber

      • Laurie Taylor
        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2011
          Hi,

          I'm sure that others will have answers based more upon historic research,
          but my first thought was that it will depend some on your persona. More
          importantly than all the period correctness though, is the fact that many
          foundations do provide some sun screen. Regardless of how accurate you want
          to be, health takes precedence over all other aspects of our game and skin
          cancer is not nice.

          Gelleia

          On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...>wrote:

          > I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yes. I'm a guy, so keep that in mind.
          > That being said, if I ever heard someone at an event giving someone grief
          > over tasteful make up, I'd give them grief for harshing the mellow.
          >
          > Now, that is to say, SCA events probably aren't the best place to dress up
          > like an anne rice character, or what not. But then, I've seen my fair share
          > of eye linered pirates wandering around SCA events too.
          >
          > Bad ideas:
          >
          > elf ears, prosthetic teeth, fairy wings, etc.
          >
          > Cailin
          >
          > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Amber Russell <amberalamode@...
          > >wrote:
          >

          > > Hello!
          > > I have yet another question. I don't want to interfere with other folks'
          > > enjoyment by not keeping in the authenticity of the period. So, my
          > question
          > > is, is it acceptable for women to wear makeup and if so what is deemed
          > > appropriate?
          > >
          > > Many thanks!
          > > Amber

        • Alison Choyce
          Message 4 of 8 , May 12, 2011
            Terrific question!!

            Many women who wear make-up mundanely continue to wear it in the SCA. And
            some wear it in the SCA, even they don't mundanely, because it IS
            appropriate for their persona. In certain times and places throughout
            history facial make-up was worn, the look was based on the culture and your
            status within the culture.

            To simply wear your mundane make-up, many of us do. I just tone mine a
            little, though I'm not heavy handed mundanely anyway. I also opt for
            eyeliner to define my eyes, rather than mascara.

            I'm sure there will be other answers, but I imagine what they all amount to
            is to do what you are comfortable with. :)

            Alison Wodehalle
            East Kingdom

            --
            ~Alison

          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2011
              On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 17:44 -0400, Alison Choyce wrote:
              > Many women who wear make-up mundanely continue to wear it in the SCA.
              > And
              > some wear it in the SCA, even they don't mundanely, because it IS
              > appropriate for their persona. In certain times and places throughout
              > history facial make-up was worn, the look was based on the culture and
              > your
              > status within the culture.

              Yes, but please don't recreate the full authenticity of facial makeup
              made out of lead or mercury. ;-)

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • Dave Roland
              Message 6 of 8 , May 13, 2011
                Wear whatever you want as long as it is normal everyday makeup.

                Ian the Green
                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Amber Russell" <amberalamode@...> wrote:

                > Hello!
                > I have yet another question. I don't want to interfere with other folks' enjoyment by not keeping in the authenticity of the period. So, my question is, is it acceptable for women to wear makeup and if so what is deemed appropriate?
                >
                > Many thanks!
                > Amber

              • Stefan li Rous
                Message 7 of 8 , May 13, 2011
                  Amber asked:
                  <<< I don't want to interfere with other folks' enjoyment by not
                  keeping in the authenticity of the period. So, my question is, is it
                  acceptable for women to wear makeup and if so what is deemed
                  appropriate? >>>

                  As others have mentioned, I would generally wear what you normally
                  would wear.

                  Unless perhaps you have bright red or purple hair or a lot of
                  piercings, you won't stand out enough to be intrusive.

                  If you do have a brightly artificial hair color, I would recommend
                  covering it with a hat, headdress or veil. In general, only unmarried
                  women went around with their hair uncovered. I know some women in the
                  SCA who will wear additional long braided locks if they prefer or
                  can't wear their hair long.

                  Make-up and hair coloring was done in the Middle Ages. Whether it was
                  frowned upon by the church would depend upon the time period and place.
                  Certain make-up, such as lipstick may also have connotations in period
                  that you don't want (harlot, prostitute) but unless you are playing
                  such a persona, this is still the modern age and most people won't
                  make assumptions.

                  There is a lot of information about period make-up and hair care in
                  the PERSONAL CARE section of the Florilegium.

                  My favorite phrase from the hair-dyeing-msg file is:
                  <<< I'm much minded of the Will Cuppy essay where he gives Lucrezia
                  Borgia's hair-bleach formula, and finishes up with "If your hair
                  remained on your head, you were a blonde." >>>

                  So I would be careful when experimenting with any of the period
                  recipes. Lye, arsenic and lead compounds show up in various recipes.
                  I've heard that Queen Elizabeth caked on white lead onto her face to
                  get a pale complexion and by the end of her life she was having to put
                  it on pretty heavy to cover the damage that it had already done.

                  Some files in the PERSONAL CARE section to explore:
                  cosmetics-lnks (10K) 4/18/06 Links to info on medieval cosmetics and
                  perfumes by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.

                  cosmetics-msg (16K) 5/13/10 Period cosmetics and skin care.

                  Handcream-art (16K) 6/ 5/00 "Handcream" by Constance de LaRose.

                  handcream-msg (12K) 4/17/08 Medieval lotions and handcreams. recipes.

                  Hand-Lotion-art (4K) 6/21/08 "A Lotion Recipe from Late Period
                  England" by Lady Rebecca the Contrary.

                  hair-msg (94K) 2/ 6/11 Period and SCA hairstyling and care.

                  hair-dyeing-msg (12K) 9/ 4/01 Period hair bleaching and dyeing.

                  Perfumes-bib (20K) 12/26/00 "Perfumes Bibliography" by Nora Siri Bock.

                  perfumes-msg (36K) 9/19/02 Medieval perfumes and pomanders.

                  In the ACCESSORIES section:

                  body-piercngs-msg (4K) 11/27/05 Body piercings, other than for ear
                  rings.

                  --------
                • angela
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 26, 2011
                    I am very new as well, but I do have a few suggestions on this. Do a "natural" look.
                    -Tinted moisturiser instead of thick foundation (provides sunscreen, color, and doesn't get oily nasty when sweating)
                    -Brown eyeliner (unless you have black hair!) instead of a colored or black
                    -Brown Masacara, again if you have black hair use black. Honestly I would simplify and just use an eyelash curler (defines the eyes a bit) and skip it entirely
                    -LipSTAIN only a shade or two darker than your natural lip color. Gloss or lipstick would be more obtrusive than stain.
                    -make sure to cover the lipstain with a chapstick type thing with SPF (sunburned lips...ouch)

                    This is what I do when I am taking my son to the zoo and so forth. It usually doesn't need touching up, if it does not much at all.

                    Angie