Stefan's Florilegium files for May

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2011
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for May detailing what is new
      in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
      or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
      to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
      written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
      an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
      Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
      format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      Thank you to the 1 percent or so who have supported the Florilegium
      site by taking the time to select and look at one of the ads when you
      visited. Your clicking on the ads pays the operating costs of the site.

      Lastly, if you have any suggestions, questions, comments or criticisms
      about the Florilegium, please feel free to email me.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -----------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
      research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate
      alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the BEVERAGES section:
      Non-Alco-Bevs-art "Non Alcoholic Beverages of the Middle Ages"
      by HL Rory McGowen.
      In the FEASTS section:
      game-4-feasts-msg Serving game animals at SCA feasts.
      In the NEWCOMERS section:
      How-2-get-2do-art "How to get to do things in the SCA" by
      Duchess Willow de Wisp, OL, OP, OR.
      In the SCA-INC section:
      SCA-Grp-Types-msg Types of official local SCA groups.
      In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
      Concnsus-Mkng-art "Consensus Decision Making in the SCA" by
      Master Gareth Tancred Wilfrith.
      In the SCA-STORIES section:
      What-Matters-art "What Matters - A War Tale" by Conde Fernando
      Rodriguez de Falcon. A story of the
      Calontir shieldwall at Pennsic.
      In the TRAVEL section:
      trvlng-w-wpns-msg Traveling to SCA events with steel weapons.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      p-dental-care-msg Period dental care. dentures. cavities.
      SCA-transport-msg Typical and unusual SCA vehicles and
      transportation.
      sheep-lambs-msg Medieval sheep and lambs. Breeds.
      veg-stuffed-msg Period stuffed vegetable recipes.
      velvet-msg Medieval velvets. Modern substitutions.
      venison-msg Medieval and modern recipes for venison.
      vinegar-msg Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

      Since it is now May and the SCA dates from May 1, 1966, here is a file
      from the SCA-STORIES section commemorating the history of the SCA.
      More serious histories of the SCA and various kingdoms can also be
      found in this section.
      An-SCA-History-art "An SCA History of the Entire Known World"
      by Sir Batshit ap Llewellyn FitzDogroot
      of Frontbottom.
      ---
      Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------