Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Persona?

  • LCopland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , May 3, 2011
      As is said before, yes many answers. For myself, I have been in the SCA for only about 5 years. I finally just chose a name based upon my Irish heritage and love of Eleanor of Aquitaine. However, I have various type of late period garb depending on the type of event that I will be attending. I have Tudor, Italian Ren, Irish Dress, even some sideless surcoats as well as tavern wear. I do kind of have my persona as a wealthy merchant class Lady who travels throughout Europe for merchanting and therefore comes into contact with various style of dress and customs.

      Yours in service

      Eilinora inghean ui Ruairc
      Lori

      Message 2 of 19 , May 26, 2011
        I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much! I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time. Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England and with the roaring 20's.

        I do have a question to throw in this string though. I have a long term interest in Elenore of Aquitaine, so much so that I named my son Richard. I know that you can't do a real person, which I don't want to anyways, but would using the name Elenore be appropriate? Would it be appropriate to use it as a placeholder until I come up with something different? Or should I just wait until something "truely" strikes me. Which could take years...I'm horrible with naming characters/personas (when I play RPG with my guy friends it can take me several weeks to name a character and even then I'll be unhappy with it).

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "amberalamode" <amberalamode@...> wrote:

        > Greetings and salutations!
        >
        > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one kind.
        >
        > Kindest regards,
        > Amber

      • Susan B. Farmer
        Message 3 of 19 , May 26, 2011
          On 5/26/2011 11:43 PM, angela wrote:
          > I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much! I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time. Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England and with the roaring 20's.
          >
          > I do have a question to throw in this string though. I have a long term interest in Elenore of Aquitaine, so much so that I named my son Richard. I know that you can't do a real person, which I don't want to anyways, but would using the name Elenore be appropriate? Would it be appropriate to use it as a placeholder until I come up with something different? Or should I just wait until something "truely" strikes me. Which could take years...I'm horrible with naming characters/personas (when I play RPG with my guy friends it can take me several weeks to name a character and even then I'll be unhappy with it).

          Oh, sure! I know several Eleanors in the SCA. (You could even be
          Mathilda of Aquitaine as far as that goes .....)

          Jerusha
          --
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          Message 4 of 19 , May 27, 2011
            Angela/Elenore mentioned:
            <<< I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much!
            I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time.
            Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England
            and with the roaring 20's. >>>

            It is kinda difficult to combine those two historic periods, but maybe
            for some people it doesn't matter. Here is a story from the SCA-
            stories3-msg file in the SCA_STORIES section in the Florilegium:

            ==========
            Subject: Confusing the Mundanes (was Tweaking. . .)

            Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 05:35:50 GMT

            My favorite story has got to be the time I was flying out of the
            Houston airport in full Elizabethan garb. I was checking out the books
            in the airport gift shop, rounded a corner and confronted the
            salesclerk. She dropped her jaw, picked it up and asked ". . .uh,
            aren't those the kind of clothes they wore back in the, uh, 1920s?"

            -Tivar Moondragon

            Ansteorra

            ==========

            As an aside, Don Tivar was the SCA's first White Scarf, and for a long
            time the Society Rapier Marshal and the agent behind much of the
            rapier combat in the Society.

            Stefan

            --------
          • angela
            Message 5 of 19 , May 27, 2011
              LOL That's great! Yeah, my interests frequently are rather unrelated. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that as far as the SCA goes I'm interested in early England. In two months it could well be that I am interested in later Italy, or eastern cultures, or Norse even.

              Elenore (is that it, I just declare myself to be Elenore? I of course don't mean registering or anything.)

              > Angela/Elenore mentioned:
              > <<< I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much!
              > I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time.
              > Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England
              > and with the roaring 20's. >>>
              >
              > It is kinda difficult to combine those two historic periods, but maybe
              > for some people it doesn't matter. Here is a story from the SCA-
              > stories3-msg file in the SCA_STORIES section in the Florilegium:
              >
              > ==========
              > Subject: Confusing the Mundanes (was Tweaking. . .)
              >
              > Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 05:35:50 GMT
              >
              > My favorite story has got to be the time I was flying out of the
              > Houston airport in full Elizabethan garb. I was checking out the books
              > in the airport gift shop, rounded a corner and confronted the
              > salesclerk. She dropped her jaw, picked it up and asked ". . .uh,
              > aren't those the kind of clothes they wore back in the, uh, 1920s?"
              >
              > -Tivar Moondragon
              >
              > Ansteorra
              >
              > ==========
              >
              > As an aside, Don Tivar was the SCA's first White Scarf, and for a long
              > time the Society Rapier Marshal and the agent behind much of the
              > rapier combat in the Society.
              >
              > Stefan
              >

              > --------

            • Stefan li Rous
              Message 6 of 19 , May 28, 2011
                <<< Yeah, my interests frequently are rather unrelated. I suppose it
                would be more accurate to say that as far as the SCA goes I'm
                interested in early England. In two months it could well be that I am
                interested in later Italy, or eastern cultures, or Norse even.

                Elenore (is that it, I just declare myself to be Elenore? I of course
                don't mean registering or anything.) >>>

                Yep, that's all you need to do. And it's all you need for now. Using
                it now as you meet new people gives them a name to use rather than
                "Angela" which they will then have to also relate to "Elenore". If
                they are introduced to you as Elenore, then they can later get to know
                you as "Angela" but by that time it won't be as difficult. And my
                suspicion is that "Elenore" or variations of it was used throughout
                the Middle Ages, so that should help if your interests change. I'm not
                a name herald, though. Once you decide you like the name, you can
                research the rest of your name and then register it. (or not)

                By "early England", do you mean the Anglo-Saxons? Or the Picts or the
                Romano-British? I have some information on all of these groups in the
                CULTURES section of the Florilegium. As well as files on Italy, Norse
                and more eastern cultures. For Norse, I actually have a separate,
                small section as well as the file in the CULTURES section.

                One problem in the SCA, is that if you went by the personas in the
                SCA, you'd think that the Norse died out when the Viking Age ended.
                There are very few post-Viking age Norse in the SCA.

                Here is a file on little used personas, which some might find
                interesting.
                Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02 "Some Persona Ideas" by HL Elaine de
                Montgris (known as 'Lainie).

                http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Som-Per-Ideas-art.html

                And 'Lainie recently changed her name after many years, to "Liutgard
                of Luxeuil", so this is an example that you can change your name later
                if you wish. It's also "Mistress" now instead of Honorable Lady, but
                sometimes it takes me a while to get things changed in the Florilegium.

                Stefan

                --------