Being a voice/list herald

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2011
      Justin said:
      <<< I was a Field Herald for the very first time Saturday at the
      Middle Kingdom Rose Tournament!

      I have now learned that being a Field Herald is really hard work. It's
      something I have always wanted to try, but {ahem} a Rose Tournament
      (former Queens sponsoring teams of fighters) is probably not the venue I
      would have chosen for my first attempt! >>>

      Brave? Yes. Foolhardy? Maybe. Somebody was desperate? Likely. :-)

      Justin, congratulations on being willing to try and in pulling it off.

      For those who can project their voices, I recommend being a voice
      herald to help out. It isn't just screaming, because your voice will
      not last if you do that. You can often find a voice herald to help
      teach you the techniques. Or if you're used to already projecting your
      voice for singing or being in a play, you may already have most of the
      skills you need.

      I might recommend starting as a voice herald making announcements
      around an event. Inside is often easier than at an outside event and
      you can usually write down what you need to say rather than having to
      memorize it. This also may be easier than being at tournament herald,
      where you are more the center of attention for the main activity of an
      event.

      Even shy people and introverts can be voice heralds. I know folks that
      come out of their shell, when acting as a herald.

      A couple of files in the HERALDRY section of the Florilegium which
      might be of interest:
      F-Hldry-Trnmt-art (12K) 1/12/03 "Field Herald's Litany for
      Tournaments" by H.L. Alden Pharamond.

      http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/F-Hldry-Trnmt-art.html

      Field-Herldry-art (48K) 6/ 9/02 "Field Heraldry" by H.L. Alden
      Pharamond.

      http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/Field-Herldry-art.html

      List-Heraldry-art (8K) 2/20/09 "List Heraldry" by Lord Ivo Blackhawk.

      http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/List-Heraldry-art.html

      Voice-Herldry-art (8K) 1/16/07 "How to be a Voice Herald in 42 easy
      steps!" by Lady Eleanor Cleavely.

      http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/Voice-Herldry-art.html

      voice-herldry-msg (5K) 4/28/05 "Voice" heraldry in period and the SCA.

      http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/voice-herldry-msg.html

      I hope this helps. I've done voice heraldry at two events, one inside,
      one outside, and will probably do more in the future.

      Stefan

      --------