Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona?

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 19 , May 2, 2011
      On 5/2/2011 5:57 AM, amberalamode wrote:
      > Greetings and salutations!
      >
      > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one kind.

      (chiming in .....) Oh, heavens no!

      I know folks that know what their persona would eat for breakfast, but
      even they wear whatever they feel like at the time. We often dress for
      The Weather. Sometimes, if an event has a specific period/culture as a
      theme, folks will dress for that. I'm currently exploring Viking and
      1480-1580 Florence.

      I only change my name in my head -- makes making plans for **when** and
      what I'm going to make next.

      Just call me Jerusha ..... :-D (southern Meridies)

      --
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Message 2 of 19 , May 2, 2011
        Never forget the phrase....time traveler...You can explain any garb or
        combination of garb in case you mix a couple of periods or places

        Another newbee

        Lori

        ________________________________
        I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should
        create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a
        persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my
        persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of
        creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one
        kind.

        Kindest regards,
        Amber

      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 19 , May 2, 2011
          On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 12:06 -0700, Lori Widener wrote:
          > Never forget the phrase....time traveler...You can explain any garb
          > or
          > combination of garb in case you mix a couple of periods or places

          It's even easier than that. Imagine, if you will, that you live in a
          small village in, say, England, along about 1100 C.E. Someone walks into
          your village wearing garb from Japan, circa 1600 C.E. What would you
          think about them? That they time traveled? Nope. You would simply think,
          "This person is a foreigner, perhaps from as far away as Israel! See how
          strange his clothing is! Perhaps this is one of the Saracens spoken of
          by our priest!"

          A good friend of mine teaches a wonderful class called "The Medieval
          Mindset" that covers a lot of these topics. It is really interesting to
          try to think as someone would have in the Middle Ages. We moderns often
          make the mistake of thinking medieval people were not as smart, because
          their technology was not as advanced. They were just as smart as we are,
          but their philosophical, social, and religious expectations of the world
          were very different from ours.

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • amberalamode
          Message 4 of 19 , May 3, 2011
            Thank you all for your input, I'm excited to pick a name for use within the SCA. Your feedback was interesting as well as insightful, thanks again!
            Amber

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "amberalamode" <amberalamode@...> wrote:

            > Greetings and salutations!
            >
            > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one kind.
            >
            > Kindest regards,
            > Amber

          • Kyla
            Message 5 of 19 , May 3, 2011
              As several people in the SCA keep saying - if you ask any SCAdian for an
              opinion, you will receive ten, and several of them will conflict.

              Tabitha Pennywarden
              Ravenslake, Midlands
              Middle Kingdom

            • LCopland@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , May 3, 2011
                As is said before, yes many answers. For myself, I have been in the SCA for only about 5 years. I finally just chose a name based upon my Irish heritage and love of Eleanor of Aquitaine. However, I have various type of late period garb depending on the type of event that I will be attending. I have Tudor, Italian Ren, Irish Dress, even some sideless surcoats as well as tavern wear. I do kind of have my persona as a wealthy merchant class Lady who travels throughout Europe for merchanting and therefore comes into contact with various style of dress and customs.

                Yours in service

                Eilinora inghean ui Ruairc
                Lori

                wrote:

                > Greetings and salutations!
                >
                > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I
                should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed
                create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where
                and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am
                deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be
                restricted to one kind.

                > Kindest regards,
                > Amber

              • angela
                Message 7 of 19 , May 26, 2011
                  I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much! I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time. Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England and with the roaring 20's.

                  I do have a question to throw in this string though. I have a long term interest in Elenore of Aquitaine, so much so that I named my son Richard. I know that you can't do a real person, which I don't want to anyways, but would using the name Elenore be appropriate? Would it be appropriate to use it as a placeholder until I come up with something different? Or should I just wait until something "truely" strikes me. Which could take years...I'm horrible with naming characters/personas (when I play RPG with my guy friends it can take me several weeks to name a character and even then I'll be unhappy with it).

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "amberalamode" <amberalamode@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings and salutations!
                  >
                  > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one kind.
                  >
                  > Kindest regards,
                  > Amber

                • Susan B. Farmer
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 26, 2011
                    On 5/26/2011 11:43 PM, angela wrote:
                    > I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much! I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time. Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England and with the roaring 20's.
                    >
                    > I do have a question to throw in this string though. I have a long term interest in Elenore of Aquitaine, so much so that I named my son Richard. I know that you can't do a real person, which I don't want to anyways, but would using the name Elenore be appropriate? Would it be appropriate to use it as a placeholder until I come up with something different? Or should I just wait until something "truely" strikes me. Which could take years...I'm horrible with naming characters/personas (when I play RPG with my guy friends it can take me several weeks to name a character and even then I'll be unhappy with it).

                    Oh, sure! I know several Eleanors in the SCA. (You could even be
                    Mathilda of Aquitaine as far as that goes .....)

                    Jerusha
                    --
                    Susan Farmer
                    sfarmer@...
                    Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                    Division of Science and Math
                    http://www.abac.edu/sfarmer/
                  • Stefan li Rous
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 27, 2011
                      Angela/Elenore mentioned:
                      <<< I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much!
                      I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time.
                      Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England
                      and with the roaring 20's. >>>

                      It is kinda difficult to combine those two historic periods, but maybe
                      for some people it doesn't matter. Here is a story from the SCA-
                      stories3-msg file in the SCA_STORIES section in the Florilegium:

                      ==========
                      Subject: Confusing the Mundanes (was Tweaking. . .)

                      Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 05:35:50 GMT

                      My favorite story has got to be the time I was flying out of the
                      Houston airport in full Elizabethan garb. I was checking out the books
                      in the airport gift shop, rounded a corner and confronted the
                      salesclerk. She dropped her jaw, picked it up and asked ". . .uh,
                      aren't those the kind of clothes they wore back in the, uh, 1920s?"

                      -Tivar Moondragon

                      Ansteorra

                      ==========

                      As an aside, Don Tivar was the SCA's first White Scarf, and for a long
                      time the Society Rapier Marshal and the agent behind much of the
                      rapier combat in the Society.

                      Stefan

                      --------
                    • angela
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 27, 2011
                        LOL That's great! Yeah, my interests frequently are rather unrelated. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that as far as the SCA goes I'm interested in early England. In two months it could well be that I am interested in later Italy, or eastern cultures, or Norse even.

                        Elenore (is that it, I just declare myself to be Elenore? I of course don't mean registering or anything.)

                        > Angela/Elenore mentioned:
                        > <<< I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much!
                        > I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time.
                        > Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England
                        > and with the roaring 20's. >>>
                        >
                        > It is kinda difficult to combine those two historic periods, but maybe
                        > for some people it doesn't matter. Here is a story from the SCA-
                        > stories3-msg file in the SCA_STORIES section in the Florilegium:
                        >
                        > ==========
                        > Subject: Confusing the Mundanes (was Tweaking. . .)
                        >
                        > Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 05:35:50 GMT
                        >
                        > My favorite story has got to be the time I was flying out of the
                        > Houston airport in full Elizabethan garb. I was checking out the books
                        > in the airport gift shop, rounded a corner and confronted the
                        > salesclerk. She dropped her jaw, picked it up and asked ". . .uh,
                        > aren't those the kind of clothes they wore back in the, uh, 1920s?"
                        >
                        > -Tivar Moondragon
                        >
                        > Ansteorra
                        >
                        > ==========
                        >
                        > As an aside, Don Tivar was the SCA's first White Scarf, and for a long
                        > time the Society Rapier Marshal and the agent behind much of the
                        > rapier combat in the Society.
                        >
                        > Stefan
                        >

                        > --------

                      • Stefan li Rous
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 28, 2011
                          <<< Yeah, my interests frequently are rather unrelated. I suppose it
                          would be more accurate to say that as far as the SCA goes I'm
                          interested in early England. In two months it could well be that I am
                          interested in later Italy, or eastern cultures, or Norse even.

                          Elenore (is that it, I just declare myself to be Elenore? I of course
                          don't mean registering or anything.) >>>

                          Yep, that's all you need to do. And it's all you need for now. Using
                          it now as you meet new people gives them a name to use rather than
                          "Angela" which they will then have to also relate to "Elenore". If
                          they are introduced to you as Elenore, then they can later get to know
                          you as "Angela" but by that time it won't be as difficult. And my
                          suspicion is that "Elenore" or variations of it was used throughout
                          the Middle Ages, so that should help if your interests change. I'm not
                          a name herald, though. Once you decide you like the name, you can
                          research the rest of your name and then register it. (or not)

                          By "early England", do you mean the Anglo-Saxons? Or the Picts or the
                          Romano-British? I have some information on all of these groups in the
                          CULTURES section of the Florilegium. As well as files on Italy, Norse
                          and more eastern cultures. For Norse, I actually have a separate,
                          small section as well as the file in the CULTURES section.

                          One problem in the SCA, is that if you went by the personas in the
                          SCA, you'd think that the Norse died out when the Viking Age ended.
                          There are very few post-Viking age Norse in the SCA.

                          Here is a file on little used personas, which some might find
                          interesting.
                          Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02 "Some Persona Ideas" by HL Elaine de
                          Montgris (known as 'Lainie).

                          http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Som-Per-Ideas-art.html

                          And 'Lainie recently changed her name after many years, to "Liutgard
                          of Luxeuil", so this is an example that you can change your name later
                          if you wish. It's also "Mistress" now instead of Honorable Lady, but
                          sometimes it takes me a while to get things changed in the Florilegium.

                          Stefan

                          --------