Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona?

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 19 , May 2 9:25 AM
      On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 10:29 -0400, Justinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
      > You may have one persona, multiple personae, or none at all (simply a
      > name will suffice).

      An apology...I did not mean to imply that you have to *register* a name;
      you just need to *pick* one so that people have something to call you in
      the Current Middle Ages. :-)

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 19 , May 2 9:41 AM
        On 5/2/2011 5:57 AM, amberalamode wrote:
        > Greetings and salutations!
        >
        > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one kind.

        (chiming in .....) Oh, heavens no!

        I know folks that know what their persona would eat for breakfast, but
        even they wear whatever they feel like at the time. We often dress for
        The Weather. Sometimes, if an event has a specific period/culture as a
        theme, folks will dress for that. I'm currently exploring Viking and
        1480-1580 Florence.

        I only change my name in my head -- makes making plans for **when** and
        what I'm going to make next.

        Just call me Jerusha ..... :-D (southern Meridies)

        --
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        Message 3 of 19 , May 2 12:06 PM
          Never forget the phrase....time traveler...You can explain any garb or
          combination of garb in case you mix a couple of periods or places

          Another newbee

          Lori

          ________________________________
          I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should
          create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a
          persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my
          persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of
          creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one
          kind.

          Kindest regards,
          Amber

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 19 , May 2 2:47 PM
            On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 12:06 -0700, Lori Widener wrote:
            > Never forget the phrase....time traveler...You can explain any garb
            > or
            > combination of garb in case you mix a couple of periods or places

            It's even easier than that. Imagine, if you will, that you live in a
            small village in, say, England, along about 1100 C.E. Someone walks into
            your village wearing garb from Japan, circa 1600 C.E. What would you
            think about them? That they time traveled? Nope. You would simply think,
            "This person is a foreigner, perhaps from as far away as Israel! See how
            strange his clothing is! Perhaps this is one of the Saracens spoken of
            by our priest!"

            A good friend of mine teaches a wonderful class called "The Medieval
            Mindset" that covers a lot of these topics. It is really interesting to
            try to think as someone would have in the Middle Ages. We moderns often
            make the mistake of thinking medieval people were not as smart, because
            their technology was not as advanced. They were just as smart as we are,
            but their philosophical, social, and religious expectations of the world
            were very different from ours.

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • amberalamode
            Message 5 of 19 , May 3 12:27 AM
              Thank you all for your input, I'm excited to pick a name for use within the SCA. Your feedback was interesting as well as insightful, thanks again!
              Amber

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "amberalamode" <amberalamode@...> wrote:

              > Greetings and salutations!
              >
              > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one kind.
              >
              > Kindest regards,
              > Amber

            • Kyla
              Message 6 of 19 , May 3 5:00 AM
                As several people in the SCA keep saying - if you ask any SCAdian for an
                opinion, you will receive ten, and several of them will conflict.

                Tabitha Pennywarden
                Ravenslake, Midlands
                Middle Kingdom

              • LCopland@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , May 3 9:41 AM
                  As is said before, yes many answers. For myself, I have been in the SCA for only about 5 years. I finally just chose a name based upon my Irish heritage and love of Eleanor of Aquitaine. However, I have various type of late period garb depending on the type of event that I will be attending. I have Tudor, Italian Ren, Irish Dress, even some sideless surcoats as well as tavern wear. I do kind of have my persona as a wealthy merchant class Lady who travels throughout Europe for merchanting and therefore comes into contact with various style of dress and customs.

                  Yours in service

                  Eilinora inghean ui Ruairc
                  Lori

                  wrote:

                  > Greetings and salutations!
                  >
                  > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I
                  should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed
                  create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where
                  and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am
                  deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be
                  restricted to one kind.

                  > Kindest regards,
                  > Amber

                • angela
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 26 8:43 PM
                    I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much! I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time. Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England and with the roaring 20's.

                    I do have a question to throw in this string though. I have a long term interest in Elenore of Aquitaine, so much so that I named my son Richard. I know that you can't do a real person, which I don't want to anyways, but would using the name Elenore be appropriate? Would it be appropriate to use it as a placeholder until I come up with something different? Or should I just wait until something "truely" strikes me. Which could take years...I'm horrible with naming characters/personas (when I play RPG with my guy friends it can take me several weeks to name a character and even then I'll be unhappy with it).

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "amberalamode" <amberalamode@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings and salutations!
                    >
                    > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one kind.
                    >
                    > Kindest regards,
                    > Amber

                  • Susan B. Farmer
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 26 9:07 PM
                      On 5/26/2011 11:43 PM, angela wrote:
                      > I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much! I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time. Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England and with the roaring 20's.
                      >
                      > I do have a question to throw in this string though. I have a long term interest in Elenore of Aquitaine, so much so that I named my son Richard. I know that you can't do a real person, which I don't want to anyways, but would using the name Elenore be appropriate? Would it be appropriate to use it as a placeholder until I come up with something different? Or should I just wait until something "truely" strikes me. Which could take years...I'm horrible with naming characters/personas (when I play RPG with my guy friends it can take me several weeks to name a character and even then I'll be unhappy with it).

                      Oh, sure! I know several Eleanors in the SCA. (You could even be
                      Mathilda of Aquitaine as far as that goes .....)

                      Jerusha
                      --
                      Susan Farmer
                      sfarmer@...
                      Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                      Division of Science and Math
                      http://www.abac.edu/sfarmer/
                    • Stefan li Rous
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 27 5:57 PM
                        Angela/Elenore mentioned:
                        <<< I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much!
                        I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time.
                        Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England
                        and with the roaring 20's. >>>

                        It is kinda difficult to combine those two historic periods, but maybe
                        for some people it doesn't matter. Here is a story from the SCA-
                        stories3-msg file in the SCA_STORIES section in the Florilegium:

                        ==========
                        Subject: Confusing the Mundanes (was Tweaking. . .)

                        Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 05:35:50 GMT

                        My favorite story has got to be the time I was flying out of the
                        Houston airport in full Elizabethan garb. I was checking out the books
                        in the airport gift shop, rounded a corner and confronted the
                        salesclerk. She dropped her jaw, picked it up and asked ". . .uh,
                        aren't those the kind of clothes they wore back in the, uh, 1920s?"

                        -Tivar Moondragon

                        Ansteorra

                        ==========

                        As an aside, Don Tivar was the SCA's first White Scarf, and for a long
                        time the Society Rapier Marshal and the agent behind much of the
                        rapier combat in the Society.

                        Stefan

                        --------
                      • angela
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 27 6:38 PM
                          LOL That's great! Yeah, my interests frequently are rather unrelated. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that as far as the SCA goes I'm interested in early England. In two months it could well be that I am interested in later Italy, or eastern cultures, or Norse even.

                          Elenore (is that it, I just declare myself to be Elenore? I of course don't mean registering or anything.)

                          > Angela/Elenore mentioned:
                          > <<< I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much!
                          > I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time.
                          > Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England
                          > and with the roaring 20's. >>>
                          >
                          > It is kinda difficult to combine those two historic periods, but maybe
                          > for some people it doesn't matter. Here is a story from the SCA-
                          > stories3-msg file in the SCA_STORIES section in the Florilegium:
                          >
                          > ==========
                          > Subject: Confusing the Mundanes (was Tweaking. . .)
                          >
                          > Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 05:35:50 GMT
                          >
                          > My favorite story has got to be the time I was flying out of the
                          > Houston airport in full Elizabethan garb. I was checking out the books
                          > in the airport gift shop, rounded a corner and confronted the
                          > salesclerk. She dropped her jaw, picked it up and asked ". . .uh,
                          > aren't those the kind of clothes they wore back in the, uh, 1920s?"
                          >
                          > -Tivar Moondragon
                          >
                          > Ansteorra
                          >
                          > ==========
                          >
                          > As an aside, Don Tivar was the SCA's first White Scarf, and for a long
                          > time the Society Rapier Marshal and the agent behind much of the
                          > rapier combat in the Society.
                          >
                          > Stefan
                          >

                          > --------

                        • Stefan li Rous
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 28 12:09 PM
                            <<< Yeah, my interests frequently are rather unrelated. I suppose it
                            would be more accurate to say that as far as the SCA goes I'm
                            interested in early England. In two months it could well be that I am
                            interested in later Italy, or eastern cultures, or Norse even.

                            Elenore (is that it, I just declare myself to be Elenore? I of course
                            don't mean registering or anything.) >>>

                            Yep, that's all you need to do. And it's all you need for now. Using
                            it now as you meet new people gives them a name to use rather than
                            "Angela" which they will then have to also relate to "Elenore". If
                            they are introduced to you as Elenore, then they can later get to know
                            you as "Angela" but by that time it won't be as difficult. And my
                            suspicion is that "Elenore" or variations of it was used throughout
                            the Middle Ages, so that should help if your interests change. I'm not
                            a name herald, though. Once you decide you like the name, you can
                            research the rest of your name and then register it. (or not)

                            By "early England", do you mean the Anglo-Saxons? Or the Picts or the
                            Romano-British? I have some information on all of these groups in the
                            CULTURES section of the Florilegium. As well as files on Italy, Norse
                            and more eastern cultures. For Norse, I actually have a separate,
                            small section as well as the file in the CULTURES section.

                            One problem in the SCA, is that if you went by the personas in the
                            SCA, you'd think that the Norse died out when the Viking Age ended.
                            There are very few post-Viking age Norse in the SCA.

                            Here is a file on little used personas, which some might find
                            interesting.
                            Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02 "Some Persona Ideas" by HL Elaine de
                            Montgris (known as 'Lainie).

                            http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Som-Per-Ideas-art.html

                            And 'Lainie recently changed her name after many years, to "Liutgard
                            of Luxeuil", so this is an example that you can change your name later
                            if you wish. It's also "Mistress" now instead of Honorable Lady, but
                            sometimes it takes me a while to get things changed in the Florilegium.

                            Stefan

                            --------