Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona?

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 19 , May 2, 2011
      Quoth "amberalamode":
      > ona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my pers
      > ona is from. Is this accurate?

      Not at all! I think there are very few people who take their
      clothing-making/persona-development to that kind of extreme.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 19 , May 2, 2011
        Here in Trimaris, our Ladies will wear their normal garb for most of the year and then in summer switch to roman or greek garb for the summer heat. Wear whats comfortable.

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

        When you rise, if you rise again, rise a knight!
        Kingdom of Heaven
        ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

        > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        > From: publisher@...
        > Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 10:00:24 -0400
        > Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Persona?
        >
        > This is absolutely inaccurate. I have heard the same assertion made time and time again, but there is no basis for it. You are also not restricted to a single persona. I know of a gentleman out in anTir who has an early period Scottish persona and a second late period Scottish persona that is the great great grandchild of his early persona period, its a clever way to have more than one era of garb and still have your persona fit. Many people have their main persona and a secondary so they can wear other garb, others don't really bother much with the persona at all and use the same persona name but use garb from any period they feel like representing. I would suggest using a fairly generic persona name that you can make fit in a number of periods and that you can possibly alter to fit other cultures as well.
        >
        > Registering a name has zero to do with any other aspect of the game. You can register a name from one period but play a completely different one whenever you feel like it.
        >
        > Lord Cú Allaidh Dona
        > mka Jeff Johnston
        > Heavy Fighter, Sometimes Fencer, Occasional Archer, Minor Boffer Constable
        > Founder of the Trinovantia Nova Merpegacorn stoolball team
        > Mazer, working on being a Calligrapher, Maker of Torcs and Circlets
        > Dabbler in the Textile Arts
        > Member of the Bookbinders Guild of Ealdormere
        > Crewmember of the Good Ship Crimson Star
        > Seneschal of The Shire of Trinovantia Nova, in the great land of Ealdormere
        >
        > http://cuallaidh.blogspot.com
        > The Mead Hall - home to all things mead: http://mead.lilleypress.com
        >
        > On 2011-05-02, at 5:57 AM, amberalamode wrote:
        >
        > > Greetings and salutations!
        > >
        > > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one kind.
        > >
        > > Kindest regards,
        > > Amber

      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 19 , May 2, 2011
          Welcome to the SCA, and to the SCA Newcomers Yahoo list!

          Persona play is a way for some people to focus their research - for
          instance, I am interested in far too many things to research all of them at
          the same time.
          While developing a persona can be fun, please remember that it is not
          required, and your level of persona play should be as much as you are
          interested in doing.

          While it is preferred that you play within the scope of the SCA's stated
          goals - see the corpora for clarity - it is not required for you to register
          either your name or your device.
          Corpora: http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/govdocs.pdf
          Which can be found on the Society website: http://www.sca.org/ under
          'Documents and Policies'.
          Some people enjoy registering their names as part of the game, while others
          don't want to go through the hassle of re-submitting a name or device which
          has been returned.

          If you haven't found the Society website before, take a minute to check out
          the box in the upper right titled 'New to the SCA? Start Here...' There is
          some excellent advice regarding developing a persona and choosing a name.

          Also keep in mind that there is no need to rush into anything - take your
          time and think things through.

          Tabitha Pennywarden - who is currently involved in Persian research, even
          though her name is European, and who is also starting to develop a Medieval
          Provencal persona.
          Ravenslake, Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          On 2011-05-02, at 5:57 AM, amberalamode wrote:

          > Greetings and salutations!
          >
          > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I
          should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed
          create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where
          and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am
          deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be
          restricted to one kind.

          > Kindest regards,
          > Amber

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 19 , May 2, 2011
            On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 10:29 -0400, Justinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
            > You may have one persona, multiple personae, or none at all (simply a
            > name will suffice).

            An apology...I did not mean to imply that you have to *register* a name;
            you just need to *pick* one so that people have something to call you in
            the Current Middle Ages. :-)

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Susan Farmer
            Message 5 of 19 , May 2, 2011
              On 5/2/2011 5:57 AM, amberalamode wrote:
              > Greetings and salutations!
              >
              > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one kind.

              (chiming in .....) Oh, heavens no!

              I know folks that know what their persona would eat for breakfast, but
              even they wear whatever they feel like at the time. We often dress for
              The Weather. Sometimes, if an event has a specific period/culture as a
              theme, folks will dress for that. I'm currently exploring Viking and
              1480-1580 Florence.

              I only change my name in my head -- makes making plans for **when** and
              what I'm going to make next.

              Just call me Jerusha ..... :-D (southern Meridies)

              --
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              Message 6 of 19 , May 2, 2011
                Never forget the phrase....time traveler...You can explain any garb or
                combination of garb in case you mix a couple of periods or places

                Another newbee

                Lori

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 19 , May 2, 2011
                  On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 12:06 -0700, Lori Widener wrote:
                  > Never forget the phrase....time traveler...You can explain any garb
                  > or
                  > combination of garb in case you mix a couple of periods or places

                  It's even easier than that. Imagine, if you will, that you live in a
                  small village in, say, England, along about 1100 C.E. Someone walks into
                  your village wearing garb from Japan, circa 1600 C.E. What would you
                  think about them? That they time traveled? Nope. You would simply think,
                  "This person is a foreigner, perhaps from as far away as Israel! See how
                  strange his clothing is! Perhaps this is one of the Saracens spoken of
                  by our priest!"

                  A good friend of mine teaches a wonderful class called "The Medieval
                  Mindset" that covers a lot of these topics. It is really interesting to
                  try to think as someone would have in the Middle Ages. We moderns often
                  make the mistake of thinking medieval people were not as smart, because
                  their technology was not as advanced. They were just as smart as we are,
                  but their philosophical, social, and religious expectations of the world
                  were very different from ours.

                  fesswise reversed sable.

                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                • amberalamode
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 3, 2011
                    Thank you all for your input, I'm excited to pick a name for use within the SCA. Your feedback was interesting as well as insightful, thanks again!
                    Amber

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "amberalamode" <amberalamode@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings and salutations!
                    >
                    > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one kind.
                    >
                    > Kindest regards,
                    > Amber

                  • Kyla
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 3, 2011
                      As several people in the SCA keep saying - if you ask any SCAdian for an
                      opinion, you will receive ten, and several of them will conflict.

                      Tabitha Pennywarden
                      Ravenslake, Midlands
                      Middle Kingdom

                    • LCopland@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3, 2011
                        As is said before, yes many answers. For myself, I have been in the SCA for only about 5 years. I finally just chose a name based upon my Irish heritage and love of Eleanor of Aquitaine. However, I have various type of late period garb depending on the type of event that I will be attending. I have Tudor, Italian Ren, Irish Dress, even some sideless surcoats as well as tavern wear. I do kind of have my persona as a wealthy merchant class Lady who travels throughout Europe for merchanting and therefore comes into contact with various style of dress and customs.

                        Yours in service

                        Eilinora inghean ui Ruairc
                        Lori

                        wrote:

                        > Greetings and salutations!
                        >
                        > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I
                        should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed
                        create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where
                        and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am
                        deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be
                        restricted to one kind.

                        > Kindest regards,
                        > Amber

                      • angela
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 26, 2011
                          I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much! I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time. Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England and with the roaring 20's.

                          I do have a question to throw in this string though. I have a long term interest in Elenore of Aquitaine, so much so that I named my son Richard. I know that you can't do a real person, which I don't want to anyways, but would using the name Elenore be appropriate? Would it be appropriate to use it as a placeholder until I come up with something different? Or should I just wait until something "truely" strikes me. Which could take years...I'm horrible with naming characters/personas (when I play RPG with my guy friends it can take me several weeks to name a character and even then I'll be unhappy with it).

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "amberalamode" <amberalamode@...> wrote:

                          > Greetings and salutations!
                          >
                          > I am a clumsy newcomer to the SCA and am debating on whether or not I should create a persona. I am under the impression that if I do indeed create a persona, that I must always wear garb that identifies with where and when my persona is from. Is this accurate? I wish to know because I am deeply fond of creating all different types of garb and do not wish to be restricted to one kind.
                          >
                          > Kindest regards,
                          > Amber

                        • Susan B. Farmer
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 26, 2011
                            On 5/26/2011 11:43 PM, angela wrote:
                            > I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much! I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time. Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England and with the roaring 20's.
                            >
                            > I do have a question to throw in this string though. I have a long term interest in Elenore of Aquitaine, so much so that I named my son Richard. I know that you can't do a real person, which I don't want to anyways, but would using the name Elenore be appropriate? Would it be appropriate to use it as a placeholder until I come up with something different? Or should I just wait until something "truely" strikes me. Which could take years...I'm horrible with naming characters/personas (when I play RPG with my guy friends it can take me several weeks to name a character and even then I'll be unhappy with it).

                            Oh, sure! I know several Eleanors in the SCA. (You could even be
                            Mathilda of Aquitaine as far as that goes .....)

                            Jerusha
                            --
                            Susan Farmer
                            sfarmer@...
                            Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                            Division of Science and Math
                            http://www.abac.edu/sfarmer/
                          • Stefan li Rous
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 27, 2011
                              Angela/Elenore mentioned:
                              <<< I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much!
                              I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time.
                              Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England
                              and with the roaring 20's. >>>

                              It is kinda difficult to combine those two historic periods, but maybe
                              for some people it doesn't matter. Here is a story from the SCA-
                              stories3-msg file in the SCA_STORIES section in the Florilegium:

                              ==========
                              Subject: Confusing the Mundanes (was Tweaking. . .)

                              Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 05:35:50 GMT

                              My favorite story has got to be the time I was flying out of the
                              Houston airport in full Elizabethan garb. I was checking out the books
                              in the airport gift shop, rounded a corner and confronted the
                              salesclerk. She dropped her jaw, picked it up and asked ". . .uh,
                              aren't those the kind of clothes they wore back in the, uh, 1920s?"

                              -Tivar Moondragon

                              Ansteorra

                              ==========

                              As an aside, Don Tivar was the SCA's first White Scarf, and for a long
                              time the Society Rapier Marshal and the agent behind much of the
                              rapier combat in the Society.

                              Stefan

                              --------
                            • angela
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 27, 2011
                                LOL That's great! Yeah, my interests frequently are rather unrelated. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that as far as the SCA goes I'm interested in early England. In two months it could well be that I am interested in later Italy, or eastern cultures, or Norse even.

                                Elenore (is that it, I just declare myself to be Elenore? I of course don't mean registering or anything.)

                                > Angela/Elenore mentioned:
                                > <<< I am so glad I stumbled on this and read it. It helps me so much!
                                > I'm too ADHD to stay on one time period/culture at the same time.
                                > Hence my current duel preoccupations with the early history of England
                                > and with the roaring 20's. >>>
                                >
                                > It is kinda difficult to combine those two historic periods, but maybe
                                > for some people it doesn't matter. Here is a story from the SCA-
                                > stories3-msg file in the SCA_STORIES section in the Florilegium:
                                >
                                > ==========
                                > Subject: Confusing the Mundanes (was Tweaking. . .)
                                >
                                > Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 05:35:50 GMT
                                >
                                > My favorite story has got to be the time I was flying out of the
                                > Houston airport in full Elizabethan garb. I was checking out the books
                                > in the airport gift shop, rounded a corner and confronted the
                                > salesclerk. She dropped her jaw, picked it up and asked ". . .uh,
                                > aren't those the kind of clothes they wore back in the, uh, 1920s?"
                                >
                                > -Tivar Moondragon
                                >
                                > Ansteorra
                                >
                                > ==========
                                >
                                > As an aside, Don Tivar was the SCA's first White Scarf, and for a long
                                > time the Society Rapier Marshal and the agent behind much of the
                                > rapier combat in the Society.
                                >
                                > Stefan
                                >

                                > --------

                              • Stefan li Rous
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 28, 2011
                                  <<< Yeah, my interests frequently are rather unrelated. I suppose it
                                  would be more accurate to say that as far as the SCA goes I'm
                                  interested in early England. In two months it could well be that I am
                                  interested in later Italy, or eastern cultures, or Norse even.

                                  Elenore (is that it, I just declare myself to be Elenore? I of course
                                  don't mean registering or anything.) >>>

                                  Yep, that's all you need to do. And it's all you need for now. Using
                                  it now as you meet new people gives them a name to use rather than
                                  "Angela" which they will then have to also relate to "Elenore". If
                                  they are introduced to you as Elenore, then they can later get to know
                                  you as "Angela" but by that time it won't be as difficult. And my
                                  suspicion is that "Elenore" or variations of it was used throughout
                                  the Middle Ages, so that should help if your interests change. I'm not
                                  a name herald, though. Once you decide you like the name, you can
                                  research the rest of your name and then register it. (or not)

                                  By "early England", do you mean the Anglo-Saxons? Or the Picts or the
                                  Romano-British? I have some information on all of these groups in the
                                  CULTURES section of the Florilegium. As well as files on Italy, Norse
                                  and more eastern cultures. For Norse, I actually have a separate,
                                  small section as well as the file in the CULTURES section.

                                  One problem in the SCA, is that if you went by the personas in the
                                  SCA, you'd think that the Norse died out when the Viking Age ended.
                                  There are very few post-Viking age Norse in the SCA.

                                  Here is a file on little used personas, which some might find
                                  interesting.
                                  Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02 "Some Persona Ideas" by HL Elaine de
                                  Montgris (known as 'Lainie).

                                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Som-Per-Ideas-art.html

                                  And 'Lainie recently changed her name after many years, to "Liutgard
                                  of Luxeuil", so this is an example that you can change your name later
                                  if you wish. It's also "Mistress" now instead of Honorable Lady, but
                                  sometimes it takes me a while to get things changed in the Florilegium.

                                  Stefan

                                  --------