re: Beginner Garb

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2011
      Angela commented and asked:
      <<< I did express interest in the pants idea and so forth, but until I
      get an idea of what time I want to go with. Or while I'm still in my
      early exploration phase. My son's is easy to take care of, just tunic
      and some pants. >>>

      Yes, for children that is a good way to go. I wouldn't go for anything
      real fancy since they will out grow it fairly quickly.

      Here are a couple of Florilegium files in the CHILDREN section on
      clothing for children:

      child-clothes-msg (36K) 1/25/08 Period and SCA children's clothing.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/child-clothes-msg.html

      Chld-Costumes-art (12K) 9/21/08 "Children's Costumes at SCA Events - a
      personal testimonial" by Mistress Ælflæd of Duckford.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/Chld-Costumes-art.html

      Kindergarb-art (12K) 1/12/03 Thoughts on making children's clothing by
      Lady Hrosvitha von Celle.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/Kindergarb-art.html

      <<< But for me is there something simple to make that will work for my
      first few events and such? I need to be able to move well because of
      my son and in the case that archery is available at an event. I
      considered just making myself a longer tunic and pants with as well
      but am unsure whether this would be a good idea for beginner stuff. >>>

      One thing I want to mention. Are these first events likely to be
      outside camping events with fires, lanterns, candles or other flame
      sources? If so, I would strongly recommend you stay away from
      synthetic fabrics and stick with wool, cotton, silk and linen. Natural
      fabrics tend to smolder when a hot coal or such touches them.
      Synthetics, being plastic, tend to melt and stick to you. Natural
      fabrics also "breathe" better and will be cooler on a hot summer day.
      Linen will be cooler than cotton.

      While written for Pennsic, the precautions on safe handling of fire in
      this article are useful at other times as well.

      Fire-Book-art (739K) 12/28/00 Baron Durr's Guide to Safe Fire Use.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Fire-Book/Fire-Book-art.html

      I hope this helps.

      Stefan

      --------