Beginner Garb

  • angela
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18 6:20 PM
      I did express interest in the pants idea and so forth, but until I get an idea of what time I want to go with. Or while I'm still in my early exploration phase. My son's is easy to take care of, just tunic and some pants.

      But for me is there something simple to make that will work for my first few events and such? I need to be able to move well because of my son and in the case that archery is available at an event. I considered just making myself a longer tunic and pants with as well but am unsure whether this would be a good idea for beginner stuff.
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 19 10:05 AM
        Angela commented and asked:
        <<< I did express interest in the pants idea and so forth, but until I
        get an idea of what time I want to go with. Or while I'm still in my
        early exploration phase. My son's is easy to take care of, just tunic
        and some pants. >>>

        Yes, for children that is a good way to go. I wouldn't go for anything
        real fancy since they will out grow it fairly quickly.

        Here are a couple of Florilegium files in the CHILDREN section on
        clothing for children:

        child-clothes-msg (36K) 1/25/08 Period and SCA children's clothing.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/child-clothes-msg.html

        Chld-Costumes-art (12K) 9/21/08 "Children's Costumes at SCA Events - a
        personal testimonial" by Mistress Ælflæd of Duckford.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/Chld-Costumes-art.html

        Kindergarb-art (12K) 1/12/03 Thoughts on making children's clothing by
        Lady Hrosvitha von Celle.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/Kindergarb-art.html

        <<< But for me is there something simple to make that will work for my
        first few events and such? I need to be able to move well because of
        my son and in the case that archery is available at an event. I
        considered just making myself a longer tunic and pants with as well
        but am unsure whether this would be a good idea for beginner stuff. >>>

        One thing I want to mention. Are these first events likely to be
        outside camping events with fires, lanterns, candles or other flame
        sources? If so, I would strongly recommend you stay away from
        synthetic fabrics and stick with wool, cotton, silk and linen. Natural
        fabrics tend to smolder when a hot coal or such touches them.
        Synthetics, being plastic, tend to melt and stick to you. Natural
        fabrics also "breathe" better and will be cooler on a hot summer day.
        Linen will be cooler than cotton.

        While written for Pennsic, the precautions on safe handling of fire in
        this article are useful at other times as well.

        Fire-Book-art (739K) 12/28/00 Baron Durr's Guide to Safe Fire Use.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Fire-Book/Fire-Book-art.html

        I hope this helps.

        Stefan

        --------