Cossacks and Kazakhs, oh my

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2011
      Sian asked:
      <<< Are you asking about the Cossacks-a group of predominantly East European and Slavic ethnic people who inhabited the Russian steppes, or the Kazakhs- a Turkic people of the northern parts of Central Asia (largely Kazakhstan, but also found in parts of Uzbekistan, China, Russia, and Mongolia) who are predominately of asian or middle eastern ethnicity?

      Neither group was particularly peaceful, though they were both mostly nomadic. >>>

      I'm not that familiar with either group, nor do I have anything on them in the CULTURES section of the Florilegium. :-(

      If anyone has written an article on either of these groups, or even just a bibliography, I'd love to add it to the Florilegium.

      I do have these files on similar groups in that area.

      Khazars-msg (20K) 8/28/10 Medieval Jewish kingdom near the Caspian Sea
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Khazars-msg.html

      Hungary-msg (38K) 1/20/05 Medieval Hungarian history and culture.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Hungary-msg.html

      Stefan

      --------