snoods

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2011
      Lori commented:
      <<< Thanks so much for all your info. I'm a newcomer sort of in limbo. I started
      really backwards. I like the French snoods. Working clothing and persona
      around them! >>>

      That is not necessarily backwards. I know a lot of people who have picked, or avoided, a persona due to the clothing for that persona.

      I've known women who specifically picked a time and place where they could wear pants. I know guys who have avoided some places and times because they didn't want to wear a "dress". Some guys look good in hose. I don't, at least according to my wife. Some people have avoided the Elizabethan culture because they weren't great seamstresses or didn't think they could afford it. The solution for the last problem is actually to pick a middle class rather than an extreme upper-class persona.

      You might want to look through these two Florilegium files in the ACCESSORIES section of the Florilegium, although I'm not sure how much I have on specifically French snoods.

      snoods-cauls-msg (21K) 12/27/01 Period snoods (netting) and cauls (cloth).
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/snoods-cauls-msg.html

      headgear-msg (114K) 2/ 5/08 Hats, veils and other headgear.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/headgear-msg.html

      netting-msg (8K) 5/26/08 Netting for hairnets, snoods, fishnets, hammocks.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/netting-msg.html

      Stefan

      --------
    • angela
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 16, 2011
        A time and place where women could wear pants? I'm definitely curious now, not that it's a deciding factor but something interesting to look into.

        > Lori commented:
        > <<< Thanks so much for all your info. I'm a newcomer sort of in limbo. I started
        > really backwards. I like the French snoods. Working clothing and persona
        > around them! >>>
        >
        > That is not necessarily backwards. I know a lot of people who have picked, or avoided, a persona due to the clothing for that persona.
        >
        > I've known women who specifically picked a time and place where they could wear pants. I know guys who have avoided some places and times because they didn't want to wear a "dress". Some guys look good in hose. I don't, at least according to my wife. Some people have avoided the Elizabethan culture because they weren't great seamstresses or didn't think they could afford it. The solution for the last problem is actually to pick a middle class rather than an extreme upper-class persona.
        >
        > You might want to look through these two Florilegium files in the ACCESSORIES section of the Florilegium, although I'm not sure how much I have on specifically French snoods.
        >
        > snoods-cauls-msg (21K) 12/27/01 Period snoods (netting) and cauls (cloth).
        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/snoods-cauls-msg.html
        >
        > headgear-msg (114K) 2/ 5/08 Hats, veils and other headgear.
        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/headgear-msg.html
        >
        > netting-msg (8K) 5/26/08 Netting for hairnets, snoods, fishnets, hammocks.
        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/netting-msg.html
        >
        > Stefan
        >
        > --------

      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16, 2011
          Sure - that's one of the reasons I have stuck with Persian, against some
          fairly stiff opposition, I might add.

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...>
          wrote:

          > Lori commented:
          > <<< Thanks so much for all your info. I'm a newcomer sort of in limbo. I
          started
          > really backwards. I like the French snoods. Working clothing and persona
          > around them! >>>
          >
          > That is not necessarily backwards. I know a lot of people who have
          picked, or avoided, a persona due to the clothing for that persona.

          > I've known women who specifically picked a time and place where they
          could wear pants. I know guys who have avoided some places and times because
          they didn't want to wear a "dress". Some guys look good in hose. I don't, at
          least according to my wife. Some people have avoided the Elizabethan culture
          because they weren't great seamstresses or didn't think they could afford
          it. The solution for the last problem is actually to pick a middle class
          rather than an extreme upper-class persona.

          > You might want to look through these two Florilegium files in the
          ACCESSORIES section of the Florilegium, although I'm not sure how much I
          have on specifically French snoods.

          > snoods-cauls-msg (21K) 12/27/01 Period snoods (netting) and cauls
          (cloth).
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/snoods-cauls-msg.html
          >
          > headgear-msg (114K) 2/ 5/08 Hats, veils and other headgear.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/headgear-msg.html
          >
          > netting-msg (8K) 5/26/08 Netting for hairnets, snoods, fishnets,
          hammocks.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/netting-msg.html
          >
          > Stefan
          >
          > --------

        • Sues_Deals
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 17, 2011
            I am also definitely interested in a person where women wearing pants was acceptable. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to go looking for such?

            Thanks in advance,
            Sue Ellen

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "angela" <jademozingo@...> wrote:

            > A time and place where women could wear pants? I'm definitely curious now, not that it's a deciding factor but something interesting to look into.
            >
            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Lori commented:
            > > <<< Thanks so much for all your info. I'm a newcomer sort of in limbo. I started
            > > really backwards. I like the French snoods. Working clothing and persona
            > > around them! >>>
            > >
            > > That is not necessarily backwards. I know a lot of people who have picked, or avoided, a persona due to the clothing for that persona.
            > >
            > > I've known women who specifically picked a time and place where they could wear pants. I know guys who have avoided some places and times because they didn't want to wear a "dress". Some guys look good in hose. I don't, at least according to my wife. Some people have avoided the Elizabethan culture because they weren't great seamstresses or didn't think they could afford it. The solution for the last problem is actually to pick a middle class rather than an extreme upper-class persona.
            > >
            > > You might want to look through these two Florilegium files in the ACCESSORIES section of the Florilegium, although I'm not sure how much I have on specifically French snoods.
            > >
            > > snoods-cauls-msg (21K) 12/27/01 Period snoods (netting) and cauls (cloth).
            > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/snoods-cauls-msg.html
            > >
            > > headgear-msg (114K) 2/ 5/08 Hats, veils and other headgear.
            > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/headgear-msg.html
            > >
            > > netting-msg (8K) 5/26/08 Netting for hairnets, snoods, fishnets, hammocks.
            > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/netting-msg.html
            > >
            > > Stefan
            > >
            > > --------
            > > THLord Stefan li Rous Barony of Bryn Gwlad Kingdom of Ansteorra
            > > Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas StefanliRous@
            > > **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****

          • Daniel Brizendine
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 17, 2011
              All Mongol women and many of the Persian women wore pants.

              --
              *Szapolyai Zsigmund
              Kingdom of Calontir

              *

            • D'vorah bint al-Attar
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 17, 2011
                On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Sues_Deals <sues_deals@...> wrote:

                > I am also definitely interested in a person where women wearing pants was
                > acceptable. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to go
                > looking for such?
                >
                > Thanks in advance,
                > Sue Ellen

                Mongolian, Persian, Indian, Arabian peninsula... All these, during period, had at least the option of wearing a pair of trousers called in various areas a salwar, salvar, shalvar, shalwar, or sirwal. These trousers were straight-legged in the Arabian peninsula, according to my sewing teacher Lady Verena Entenwirth, and taper-legged in the other areas if I'm not mistaken. The trousers were worn under a tunic of mid-calf length or longer called, variously, a kamis, khameez, qamis, and so on. Modern Indian women also wear a salwar kameez, but the cut is slightly different now from what it was in period. Period construction was all, or mostly, straight lines -- it wasted less fabric that way.
                D'vorah bint al-Attar
                dvorah@...
                Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar