personas

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 13 10:18 PM
      Angela asked:
      <<< Will I really need to be completely tied down to a single place and time? Does it have to be connected to the things I do? Am I going to be limited because of liking the longbow? Thank you for the links I will take a look at them. >>>

      There are a lot of different opinions about what a persona is and what it should be, or even whether you need one at all.

      In general personas seem to be stronger to the east and less so in the west, such as the Kingdom of the West. One of the differences that makes up SCA Sociology.

      Some people after twenty years can sum up their persona in a paragraph or two (me :-( ). On the other hand there is a rather prestigious award in my kingdom of Ansteorra awarded for outstanding persona play.

      Here is central Ansteorra (ie, central, southern Texas) it can get rather warm in summer. Have I mentioned that most events in Ansteorra are outside camping events? So many people have a regular persona and a summer persona, often one based on someone in the Middle East.

      One of the big reasons for a persona is simply to allow you to spend time researching a specific time and place and to avoid showing up at an event in say, shoes from 12th C. France, a hat from ninth C. Russia, hosen from the Elizabethan court and tunic from the Byzantine 11th C.

      I guess you could create an odd, unusual, highly improbable 'persona story' detailing how this came to be, but a "persona" is much more than an elaborate story. How often in real life do you meet someone for the first time and start spilling out some complicated biography and life story to them?

      I happen to ascribe to much of what Master Cariadoc says about persona.

      persona-art (14K) 11/12/96 An article on persona by Duke Cariadoc.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/persona-art.html

      But as well as his article you can find a lot of other opinions and suggestions for personas in the PERSONA section of the Florilegium such as:
      Barbrn-Persona-art (9K) 2/18/05 "Barbarian Personae" by Baron Hrolf Herjolfssen.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Barbrn-Persona-art.html

      Easy-Persona-art (12K) 12/26/00 "An Easy Way to Create a Persona in the SCA" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Easy-Persona-art.html

      Persona-f-Beg-art (12K) 1/13/02 "Creating Your SCA Persona for Beginners" by Lady Lucia Borromeo.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Persona-f-Beg-art.html

      I particularly like some of the persona ideas given in this file. We have an overabundance of some personas in the SCA and almost none of others. If you went by the personas in the SCA, you'd think all the Norse got picked up and carried off by aliens when the Viking Age ended. Or that there must have been a gigantic, huge increase in human fertility in the late 16th Century.

      Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02 "Some Persona Ideas" by HL Elaine de Montgris (known as 'Lainie).
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Scot-fem-nam-lst.html

      I have fought SCA rapier combat using my 1150s Anglo-Norman persona. It took some special modifications to make a rapier legal T-tunic but it can be done. The justification?, not that it is required or needed, All of us were living in our original places and times when *poof* something happened and we found ourselves in the Laurel Kingdoms. Rapier was something I learned after arriving here. It wasn't something I learned in 12th C York. And if you've ever seen me on the field, you would *know* I haven't been doing it all my life. :-)

      Stefan
      --------