Hi I have a question

  • Beth Zurkowski
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13, 2011
      What information do you have for the Kazakhs? And where would I find names for them? They were a peaceful, farming, nomadic people that had excellent horsemanship and fighting abilities that lived on the Russian Steeps before they were hit by the Mongol horde.
      Thanks,
      Beth

    • Nicole E. Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14, 2011
        Hi Beth,

        Quick clarification needed. Are you asking about the Cossacks-a group of predominantly East European and Slavic ethnic people who inhabited the Russian steppes, or the Kazakhs- a Turkic people of the northern parts of Central Asia (largely Kazakhstan, but also found in parts of Uzbekistan, China, Russia, and Mongolia) who are predominately of asian or middle eastern ethnicity?

        Neither group was particularly peaceful, though they were both mostly nomadic.

        Sian

        =============

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14, 2011
          Kazakhs. Please.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 15, 2011
            I was wondering about 'nomadic farmers', myself.
            Isn't that a sort of oxymoron?

            Tabitha Pennywarden
            Ravenslake, Midlands
            Middle Kingdom

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 15, 2011
              Not really, you can farm herd animals and move with them on their normal migratory paths. There is also the practice of using a plot of land for a while then burning it to replenish and moving on to another region intending to return at a later date, these are semi-nomadic farmers for certain, and many combined both.

              Lord C� Allaidh Dona
              mka Jeff Johnston
              Heavy Fighter, Sometimes Fencer, Occasional Archer, Minor Boffer Constable
              Founder of the Trionvantia Nova Merpegacorn stoolball team
              Mazer, working on being a Calligrapher, Maker of Torcs and Circlets
              Dabbler in the Textile Arts
              Member of the Bookbinders Guild of Ealdormere
              Crewmember of the Good Ship Crimson Star
              Seneschal of The Shire of Trinovantia Nova, in the great land of Ealdormere

              http://cuallaidh.blogspot.com
              The Mead Hall - home to all things mead: http://mead.lilleypress.com