Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thank You

  • angela
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2011
      Will I really need to be completely tied down to a single place and time? Does it have to be connected to the things I do? Am I going to be limited because of liking the longbow? Thank you for the links I will take a look at them.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kyla" <skycat@...> wrote:

      > There are no stupid questions.
      > This whole list is devoted to helping people with beginners questions.
      > Be careful, we will flood you with resources and links, in our eagerness to
      > help. (-;
      >
      > That being said, what sorts of things do you want more information about?
      > Have you looked through the newcomer advice on the Society website?
      > http://www.sca.org/
      > In the upper right corner is a box labelled "New to the SCA? Start here..."
      > Somewhere in there is a bunch of info about how to start and develope your
      > persona, including a very helpful essay on what NOT to do when choosing a
      > name.
      >
      > Teasing of long-time members who still don't have names aside, I suggest you
      > not rush into choosing a name or persona - do some research first, try out
      > the clothes and food and dance styles, or fighting and jewelry, or
      > utencils - look around at several locations and times to find out what you
      > may be interested in doing more in-depth research on.
      >
      > Have you looked through Stefan's Florilegium?
      > There is an incredible amount of information about almost everything
      > somewhere in there, and Stefan himself is incredibly helpful with offereing
      > links to articles about any topic you care to name.
      >
      > There are also lots of other Yahoo lists devoted to specific SCA topics like
      > Medival Engineering: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievalengineering/
      > to pick 3 of which I am aware.
      >
      > I hope this helps - let us know what else you have questions about.
      >
      > Tabitha Pennywarden
      > Ravenslake, Midlands
      > Middle Kingdom

    • Tina W
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12, 2011
        It's a "game" we "play" however we feel we want. Some folks change their persona too! Heck some of us don't even have that. ;) the beauty is you can do everything and anything you would like that is Medieval! Even if they're not doing it in your group.

        Sent from my iPhone

      • Tina Williford
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2011
          Oh yes, no better way to get answers than to ask questions. We have all had
          to ask the first ones before so don't feel shy!

          There is also the flip side to the coin of the ones who like to figure out
          the persona then pick the name based around it. (Guilty lol.) We've been
          in for several months now and decided to pick out names first. Building the
          personas around the names. For me I went with family history to find a name
          (last name; landed me in Wales, so I found a Welsh female first name I liked
          to go with it). For him, honesty? He wanted to wear fur. Yep, that's the
          basis! So we figured out what people wore a lot of fur. We ended up with
          him as a Viking. Found a name he liked the sound of, and there you have
          it. There are many ways to select a name. Maybe you would just pick a
          country you like, and see what Medieval names they used to use during that
          time period. :) Just a few thoughts to throw out there.

          Thank you for everyone's help and advice. I've decided to do a bunch of
          research, gathering of materials, go to a couple of events as an observer,
          maybe drive the hour and a half to visit the other group and hope that when
          I move I end up in an area that wants newcomers. It sure sounds like I ended
          up in one of the bad spots.

          I would be grateful to anyone willing to offer answers to some general
          "stupid" questions.

          Angie (that's a good one. How do you decide on a name?!?!)

          _____

          No virus found in this message.