Children

  • angela
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2011
      Not to flood this board with messages, but I have a lot of questions.

      As I said before I am a single mom to a very imaginative ADHD five year old boy. When I attend events it will be alone with Richard (my son) in tow. Any advice?

      Angie
    • Daniel Brizendine
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2011
        There are things for them and does your kingdom have an active Minister of
        Youth. Just remember we are not babysitters but many times have some great
        activities. I do some eastern games and we make mongol purses and hats.

        Zsigmund

        --
        *Szapolyai Zsigmund
        Kingdom of Calontir

        *

      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 13, 2011
          On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 01:48 +0000, angela wrote:
          > Not to flood this board with messages, but I have a lot of questions.

          [[[Moderator mode]]] Ask away. There is no limit to how many questions
          you are allowed, as long as they are on-topic for this list. :-)

          Justin
          List Moderator

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • christopher chastain
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 13, 2011
            As far as children and the SCA go let me tell you about my son Liam, he has ADHD and Aspbergers. Everyone in our shire knows Liam and his issues and so do most folks at the kingdom level. He has been accepted with open arms, issues and all. The group I'm with has the philosophy of it takes a village and is something we cheerish and do everything we can not to abuse.

            Yours in Humble Service,
            Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
            Mercy is the mark of a Great man
            (poke) Ok im a good man
            (poke) Ok im an ok man()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
            From: justin@...
            Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:40:35 -0400
            Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Children

            On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 01:48 +0000, angela wrote:

            > Not to flood this board with messages, but I have a lot of questions.

            [[[Moderator mode]]] Ask away. There is no limit to how many questions

            you are allowed, as long as they are on-topic for this list. :-)

            Justin

            List Moderator

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

          • j davis
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 13, 2011
              wear comfortable shoes. period or not.  john of antioche

              Not to flood this board with messages, but I have a lot of questions.

              As I said before I am a single mom to a very imaginative ADHD five year old boy. When I attend events it will be alone with Richard (my son) in tow. Any advice?

              Angie

            • Stefan li Rous
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 13, 2011
                Angie said:
                <<< Not to flood this board with messages, but I have a lot of questions. >>>

                I wouldn't worry about that. This list is often all too quiet, with nothing being discussed. If you are concerned about monopolizing the list, then you could pick a couple of people here who answer a lot of questions and ask them by email. My email is given below. However, it is my experience in a lot of classes and on a lot of forums, that many people have questions but won't speak up, so seeing the question and the answer in public can help everyone.

                On the other hand, one of the reasons I created the Rialto Files 20 years ago, and then the Florilegium website, was to keep the 'experts' from spending all of their time answering the same questions over and over, so you might also check there. Reducing the traffic on this board is also why I will often refer folks to one or more Florilegium files, where more expert people can explain the answer, than me just trying to answer it.

                <<< As I said before I am a single mom to a very imaginative ADHD five year old boy. When I attend events it will be alone with Richard (my son) in tow. Any advice? >>>

                As for having children in the SCA, whether they have a disability or not, I recommend taking a look at the CHILDREN section in the Florilegium. There are files there on SCA children and activities as well as medieval children. Also various files on children's activities and how to keep babies and toddlers safe in camping environments.

                I also have a section in the Florilegium on DISABILITIES in period and handling them in the SCA. Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with ADHD and what problems or concerns you and your son might have with it in an SCA and specifically, a camping environment and I don't remember enough discussion of it, if any, that I would have something to put in this section.

                I believe it is a requirement that children of that age are supposed to be within eyesight of a parent at all times. Once you get involved with a local group, you might want to organize a group of like mothers or families to work together to share kid-watching responsibilities.

                As someone mentioned, there are often child-specific activities at SCA events, but this is not a babysitting service. The idea is not to just dump off the kid and come back (maybe) when the activities are over. And for legal reasons, it is now a requirement that there must be another adult present, the Minister of Children isn't allowed to do this alone, anymore.

                Stefan

                --------
              • Lori Widener
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 14, 2011
                  Thanks so much for all your info.  I'm a newcomer sort of in limbo.  I started
                  really backwards.  I like the French snoods.  Working clothing and persona
                  around them!

                  Lori

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 19, 2011
                    On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 08:10 -0700, Lori Widener wrote:
                    > I wouldn't worry about that. This list is often all too quiet, with
                    > nothing
                    > being discussed. If you are concerned about monopolizing the list,
                    > then you
                    > could pick a couple of people here who answer a lot of questions and
                    > ask them by
                    > email. My email is given below. However, it is my experience in a lot
                    > of classes
                    > and on a lot of forums, that many people have questions but won't
                    > speak up, so
                    > seeing the question and the answer in public can help everyone.

                    Speaking as Moderator, I concur with this posting and would encourage
                    you to keep asking on-topic questions on the list. It is very common for
                    people to "lurk" this list just to learn from listening to questions and
                    answers by others -- we have way more members than people who actually
                    post to the list.

                    If you feel a discussion is becoming personal rather than of public
                    interest, or if you want to stray off-topic in a social chat, I would
                    encourage you to use your own sense of "netiquette" to decide when to
                    take the discussion off-list. But for now, please feel free to continue
                    asking questions. That is, after all, the purpose of this list. :-)

                    I do request that folks please remember to change the subject line when
                    the discussion turns to a new topic, because that makes it easier for
                    others to skim the archives for relevant information. :-)

                    Warm regards,

                    Justin
                    List Moderator