Women fighters

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2011
      Angela said:
      <<< Making it even more complicated I have some interest in combat itself. I've heard lots of ugly rumors about it being the "boys club", though I have a friend that has talked several times about someone they know that is a female fighter. Of course this is halfway across the country from me. But how can I consider trying it when I can't even get general help? >>>

      Those rumors may have been true 35 or 40 years ago, but I've been in over 20 years and I've seen little evidence to back that up.

      Within a few years of joining the SCA, I witnessed evidence in contrary to the idea of SCA combat being a "boys only club", the Crown Tournament where a Queen won the throne by her own "right of arms". Duchess Rowan and Duke Hector were the two finalists in that Ansteorra Crown Tournament. Each one a round and it came down to one, final round. A very long and hard fought round, but Duchess Rowan triumphed.

      It was long and hard because being husband and wife, they had fought each other for years and understood how each one fought. We have and have had a number of women fighting armored combat in my barony and elsewhere. Since my barony is one of the places that SCA rapier combat started, we have a lot of women who prefer to fight on the rapier field, but many have chosen to do armored combat instead of in addition to rapier combat.

      Here are a couple of files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium which might be of interest to female fighters.

      f-fighters-msg (37K) 1/23/01 Protective gear for female fighters.

      Fightng-Small-art (24K) 2/19/99 "Fighting for those of Small Stature" by Centurion Romanius Vesperanius.

      Iron-Rose-lnks (12K) 11/23/05 Links to info on women warriors, past and present by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.

      Women-Battle-art (35K) 5/21/99 "Women and the Art of Battle in the late Middle Ages" by Robin E. Craig.

      Women-Warriors-art (31K) 7/12/09 "Women Warriors: Myth or Reality?" by Mistress Siobhan ni Seaghdha.