Frustrated

  • Mallory Tremaine
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 11, 2011
      As a newbie, I feel your pain. I have also found that there is no communication from pre-exisiting group members to a newbie. I contacted the local Seneschal and was greeted warmly but never heard from her again. I subscribed to our local chapter newsletter and made contact with a couple of people who were supposedly involved in the A&S activities that resonated with me - ditto - no (or cursory) response.
      I did manage to get to two different meetings and enjoyed them both but there is precious little available that is truly local.
      Joining the SCA was supposed to be fun and give me the opportunity to meet people and learn some new things. It hasn't worked out that way for me but I hope you have better luck. If I move into another area in the future I might give it another try but for now, I've essentially given up

    • D K Skoog
      Message 2 of 30 , May 16, 2013
        I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
        have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
        clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
        something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
        because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
        do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
        meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
        will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
        it.

      • Mack Cothran
        Message 3 of 30 , May 16, 2013
          Skoog, I am new to Meridies myself.  I am currently making my own clothing, and would be glad to help if I can.   Where do you live?  I am in Baileyton, but maybe we can get together and come up with something.  I wont make any events this month, but do hope to attend The Boar Hunt in June.  Email me directly at ordcaptain@... and lets exchange contact information and see what we can work out.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 30 , May 16, 2013
            Which group are you in?

            On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:

            > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
            > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
            > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
            > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
            > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
            > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
            > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
            > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
            > it.

          • D K Skoog
            Message 5 of 30 , May 16, 2013
              I am in Southdowns.

              On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM, David Backlin <thledrei@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Which group are you in?
              >

              > On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
              > > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for
              > either
              > > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic
              > or
              > > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
              > > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want
              > > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
              > > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
              > > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
              > > it.

            • Susan B. Farmer
              Message 6 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                On 5/16/2013 7:38 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
                > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
                > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
                > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
                > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                > it.

                Unfortunately there's not a lot of traffic on yahoo these days. Have
                you tried the Facebook group? There's generally loaner garb at most
                Meridian events. I don't know which Barony that you're talking about
                but most of them are quite good about that sort of thing. Feel free to
                email off-list if you want. I'm in way south Georgia, but .....

                Jerusha
                --
                Susan B. Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                Message 7 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                  I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
                  name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
                  I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
                  anything.

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                    On 5/16/2013 8:10 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
                    > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
                    > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
                    > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
                    > anything.

                    ok. That's them. Most of the other groups actually have *groups*

                    And I will say that South Downs is usually much better than that.

                    Here's the event page
                    https://www.facebook.com/events/157153071117370/?ref=ts&fref=ts -- might
                    also be a good place to ask!

                    Jerusha
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                      On 5/16/2013 8:10 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
                      > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
                      > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
                      > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
                      > anything.

                      I just posted a generic "there's a gentle trying to get in touch with
                      y'all via yahoo" on the Baronial Page ....." We'll see what happens.

                      Jerusha
                      --
                      Susan B. Farmer
                      sfarmer@...
                      Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                      College of Science and Math
                      http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium
                      http://www.abac.edu/academics/schools/math-science/faculty-staff/sfarmer
                    • Bill Toscano
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                        Go here and write to the baron, seneschal and chatelaine.

                        http://atlantasca.org/?page_id=25

                        On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                        > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
                        > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
                        > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                        > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
                        > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                        > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                        > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                        > it.

                      • Jo
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                          I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request

                          From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                          Message 12 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                            On 5/16/2013 8:41 PM, Jo wrote:
                            > I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request

                            Thanks! Clearly this good gentle was just hollering in the wrong place!

                            Jerusha
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                              On 5/16/2013 9:29 PM, Susan B. Farmer wrote:
                              > On 5/16/2013 8:41 PM, Jo wrote:
                              >> I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request
                              >>

                              > Thanks! Clearly this good gentle was just hollering in the wrong place!
                              >
                              > Jerusha

                              And that's a pity -- we're so fragmented. Somebody needs to keep an
                              eye/ear on all the places!

                              Jerusha
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                                On 5/16/2013 8:10 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
                                > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
                                > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
                                > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
                                > anything.

                                Danielle, we're getting some nibbles. If you want to PM me here or on
                                Facebook (the middle initial is BAKER) I'll see what we can do.

                                Jerusha
                                --
                                Susan B. Farmer
                                sfarmer@...
                                Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                                College of Science and Math
                                http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium
                                http://www.abac.edu/academics/schools/math-science/faculty-staff/sfarmer
                              • Christey
                                Message 15 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                                  My mother in law may be able to help you. Try contacting her. Her name is THE Catrin Skynith and her number is listed in the popular chivalry under houndsmistress of Meridies. Best of luck.

                                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:

                                  > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                                  > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
                                  > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
                                  > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                                  > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
                                  > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                                  > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                                  > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                                  > it.

                                • loricopland
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 17, 2013
                                    The Chatelaine from your area should have what is called Gold Key which is loaner garb for newcomers. Mack knows the Chatelaine so I am sure he can hook you up and he does know how to sew really well!. The only requirement for an SCA event is an attempt at period garb. If your a male, plain dark sweatpants and either boots or dark sneakers works and a plain long T-shirt. For a female, if you have any long broomstick skirts with a pain top, can pass. Hopefully, at the event you attend they should have loaner garb there as well. Here is a link to making a T-tunic which is basically a long t-shirt. This works for both men and women: http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html don't worry about headgear, not important for beginners. Again, only an attempt is required.

                                    If you have any other questions, Mack and I will try to help.

                                    Yours in Service,
                                    Assistant Seneschal Ostgardr
                                    Lady Eilionora inghean ui Ruairc
                                    (mundanely known as Lori O'Rourke Copland)