Re: frustrated.

  • Lori
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 11 9:55 AM
      Angela

      I'm a newcomer also. Don't give up. If you want to e-mail me your location directly, I'll try to find an archery group near you. I've had the same hands off experience locally. I have met some very helpful people (even if they are not from my local group) at events. I suggest you print up some simple cards with an e-mail address and ask people that you meet if you could have their address. People seem to have more time for questions if they aren't at an event. Everyone has a place!

      Lori
    • wren378
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 17, 2011
        I understand your frustration. I attended a few meetings of SCA with a roommate who was already a member. There was a definite line between the friendly people and the standoff-ish people. I went ahead and attended a couple ball/feasts but I didn't know anybody and they were lonely. Last year I tried attending a few meetings again. The weekday crowd was ok. Some were very friendly while others didn't talk to me. I decided to attend a sunday potluck and it was a disaster. Apart from two people who said hi when I showed up, no one talked to me. I tried to start a conversation with a couple people but it didn't go well and most of them completely ignored me. After being there for almost 2 hours, someone glanced in my direction and made a comment like "how long have you been there?" Then she made a big deal about her not noticing me and at one point proclaimed "I am a nice person". When my mom called a few minutes later, I used the excuse to leave. I just abandoned my food and ran. However my love of costuming and crafts led me to join SCA this year despite my bad experiences. I will stick to the few people who were nice and ignore the rest but I wouldn't be surprised if that group has trouble with recruitment. Then I was rummaging around in the pattern draws at Joann's one day while out of town and ran into 2 very friendly SCA members for that area. They invited me to events and were very nice. I'm actually considering making the 5 hour round trip to join their group instead of my local group. Sad but it's worth it to do what I love and feel welcome.