picking a name

  • dreamyangel_2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10, 2011
      I have a name that I really like. It's the name of a saint in the seventh century. The name is also still used and is even popular by todays standards. I'm more interested in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries though. Do I need to find something around that time that prooves the name was used then? Or is it enough to know that it was once someone's name and that name has lasted until now?

      Thanks,
      ~Steph
    • i_love_latin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2011
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "dreamyangel_2003" <little_stephy_b@...> wrote:

        > I have a name that I really like. It's the name of a saint in the seventh century. The name is also still used and is even popular by todays standards. I'm more interested in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries though. Do I need to find something around that time that prooves the name was used then? Or is it enough to know that it was once someone's name and that name has lasted until now?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > ~Steph

        Most likely, if the name was around in the 7th century and is still around, it was probably in period for the 14th and 15th centuries. You can always email your local or kingdom herald and ask them for help finding documentation from the era you're most interested in, but if there's documentation of the name in the 7th century, then it should most likely be registerable. Out of curiosity, what's the name?
      • Katelin de Irlande
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2011
          Greetings Steph-

          The short answer to your question is...yes, even though the name you are interested in the name of a saint and is still used today, you need to provide documentation that the name was used in period in the form you wish to use it.

          Contact your local group herald. They will be able to help you locate documentation for your name. If your group doesn't have a herald, please feel free to contact me off-list. I'll be happy to help you document your name!

          ~Lady Katelin de Irlande
          Deputy Herald/Hospitaller
          Canton of Hawks Hollow, Barony of Caerthe

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "dreamyangel_2003" <little_stephy_b@...> wrote:

          > I have a name that I really like. It's the name of a saint in the seventh century. The name is also still used and is even popular by todays standards. I'm more interested in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries though. Do I need to find something around that time that prooves the name was used then? Or is it enough to know that it was once someone's name and that name has lasted until now?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > ~Steph

        • Daniel Brizendine
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 12, 2011
            I am also an at Large Herald in Calontir and if you need help you can
            contact me off list. What is the culture that you are shooting for

            Zsigmund

            --
            *Szapolyai Zsigmund
            Kingdom of Calontir