RE: [SCA Newcomers] Kingdom/Barony pennants?

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2011
      When my Medieval and Renaissance vocal group perform, we like to put our banner up by our day camp, so people know we're at the event, and will be performing.

      It doesn't have any heraldry on it, just our name with a crown and a jester's belled cap.

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2011
        <<< At events does the SCA have a practice of flying pennents (glags, banners, etc), and with or without devices on them, and what would they look like?

        Dave H >>>

        Argh. I keep reading that as "Kingdom/Barony *pea nuts*!

        Uh hum. Okay, as others have mentioned it is common in the SCA to fly group or individual banners or to display personal coats-of-arms/devices in other ways.

        Perhaps some of these files in the HERALDRY section of the Florilegium might be of interest:

        arms-humor-msg (30K) 2/14/01 Humorous SCA armory.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/arms-humor-msg.html

        banners-msg (46K) 11/ 2/98 Flags and banners. Period and SCA construction.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/banners-msg.html

        flags-art (15K) 7/12/94 Article on flags and banners in the SCA.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/flags-art.html

        I also have been given a very nice article on making silk banners that I've been slow to get online. If there is interest, I could move that one higher in the priority list and get it online.

        Stefan

        --------