Kingdom/Barony pennants?

  • warbow67
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2011
      At events does the SCA have a practice of flying pennents (glags, banners, etc), and with or without devices on them, and what would they look like?

      Dave H
    • christopher chastain
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2011
        To answer your question, YES. They vary in size and shape but always always depict the groups heraldry in some way.

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

        Doom on you!
        ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        From: warbow67@...
        Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:46:10 +0000
        Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Kingdom/Barony pennants?

        At events does the SCA have a practice of flying pennents (glags, banners, etc), and with or without devices on them, and what would they look like?

        Dave H

      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2011
          On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 11:49 -0500, christopher chastain wrote:
          > To answer your question, YES. They vary in size and shape but always
          > always depict the groups heraldry in some way.

          Not always the group heraldry. One is welcome at most events to display
          his or her personal and/or household heraldry, provided it is registered
          with the SCA's College of Arms. Also, it's common around here to
          decorate event sites with brightly-colored banners that have simple
          designs that aren't heraldry per se. For example, one might line a feast
          hall with rows of alternating blue and yellow flags, if those were the
          local group's colors (or perhaps the colors of visiting royalty).

          Decorating is period, even if it doesn't specifically involve heraldic
          images. :-)

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • Kyla
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2011
            When my Medieval and Renaissance vocal group perform, we like to put our banner up by our day camp, so people know we're at the event, and will be performing.

            It doesn't have any heraldry on it, just our name with a crown and a jester's belled cap.

            Tabitha Pennywarden
            Ravenslake, Midlands
            Middle Kingdom

            On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 11:49 -0500, christopher chastain wrote:
            > To answer your question, YES. They vary in size and shape but always
            > always depict the groups heraldry in some way.

            Not always the group heraldry. One is welcome at most events to display
            his or her personal and/or household heraldry, provided it is registered
            with the SCA's College of Arms. Also, it's common around here to
            decorate event sites with brightly-colored banners that have simple
            designs that aren't heraldry per se. For example, one might line a feast
            hall with rows of alternating blue and yellow flags, if those were the
            local group's colors (or perhaps the colors of visiting royalty).

            Decorating is period, even if it doesn't specifically involve heraldic
            images. :-)

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

          • Stefan li Rous
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 11, 2011
              <<< At events does the SCA have a practice of flying pennents (glags, banners, etc), and with or without devices on them, and what would they look like?

              Dave H >>>

              Argh. I keep reading that as "Kingdom/Barony *pea nuts*!

              Uh hum. Okay, as others have mentioned it is common in the SCA to fly group or individual banners or to display personal coats-of-arms/devices in other ways.

              Perhaps some of these files in the HERALDRY section of the Florilegium might be of interest:

              arms-humor-msg (30K) 2/14/01 Humorous SCA armory.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/arms-humor-msg.html

              banners-msg (46K) 11/ 2/98 Flags and banners. Period and SCA construction.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/banners-msg.html

              flags-art (15K) 7/12/94 Article on flags and banners in the SCA.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/flags-art.html

              I also have been given a very nice article on making silk banners that I've been slow to get online. If there is interest, I could move that one higher in the priority list and get it online.

              Stefan

              --------