RE: [SCA Newcomers] Can anyone compare Pennsic with Atenveldt's Estrella War?

  • christopher chastain
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2011
      Ok thats a loaded question. The answer is yes. Everything of the SCA is at pennsic. The first week is called peace week and usually covers the art/sci portion of the society and week two is usually called war week and thats combat. Best way to see what Pennsic is about is to check it out on youtube honestly. There is just too much to describe in a simple email. Pennsic is the grandaddy of all wars! Every kingdom has a strong showing at Pennsic and that includes the overseas kingdoms. If you want to see it, learn about it or do it Pennsic is the place.

      Yours in Humble Service,
      Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
      Doom on you!()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      From: invertedarcher@...
      Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 22:13:40 +0000
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Can anyone compare Pennsic with Atenveldt's Estrella War?

      Hi, I live in Atenveldt (Arizona) and always go to Estrella in Feb. I've only been in the SCA 2 years, and had never heard of Pennsic until this year while talking to someone from Caid at Estrella this year. He said Pennsic is like Estrella but 2 weeks instead of 1 (Estrella is only 1 week, and it's the longest Arizona based war we have).

      Was just wondering what is big at Pennsic -- is it just hardsuit fighting or is there alot of other things, like brewing, archery, rapier, etc?

      Thanks for any info!

      Inea Arcur de Brabant

    • Bill Toscano
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2011
        Pennsic is two or three times larger than Estrella and is a little more
        compicated in terms of layout.

        As was noted in the previous post, the first week is really a "set-up" week,
        but over the last five or so years, the merchants are opening earlier and
        classes are starting during the first week.

        One of the main areas of focus is the large-scale heavy weapons battles that
        take place every day and include a woods battle, various broken field
        battles and the big open field battle on Friday.

        There are also tournaments that encompass everything from all-authentic kit
        to pole-arm only to novices to squires to 10-man melee teams.

        Fencing runs the gamut from field battles to tournaments, and youth fighting
        is very well-organized.

        There's archery and thrown weapons every day, the largest SCA marketplace
        anywhere, classes on everything imaginable, courts for most kingdoms and
        bardic events every night.

        Do you have any specific questions.

        In service,

        Liam
        East

        On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 7:03 PM, christopher chastain <ckchastain@...
        > wrote:

        > Ok thats a loaded question. The answer is yes. Everything of the SCA is at
        > pennsic. The first week is called peace week and usually covers the art/sci
        > portion of the society and week two is usually called war week and thats
        > combat. Best way to see what Pennsic is about is to check it out on youtube
        > honestly. There is just too much to describe in a simple email. Pennsic is
        > the grandaddy of all wars! Every kingdom has a strong showing at Pennsic and
        > that includes the overseas kingdoms. If you want to see it, learn about it
        > or do it Pennsic is the place.
        >

        > Yours in Humble Service,
        > Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
        > Doom on you!()====[]::::::::::::::::::>
        >

        > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        > From: invertedarcher@...
        > Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 22:13:40 +0000
        > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Can anyone compare Pennsic with Atenveldt's
        > Estrella War?

        > Hi, I live in Atenveldt (Arizona) and always go to Estrella in Feb.
        > I've only been in the SCA 2 years, and had never heard of Pennsic until
        > this year while talking to someone from Caid at Estrella this year. He said
        > Pennsic is like Estrella but 2 weeks instead of 1 (Estrella is only 1 week,
        > and it's the longest Arizona based war we have).
        >
        > Was just wondering what is big at Pennsic -- is it just hardsuit fighting
        > or is there alot of other things, like brewing, archery, rapier, etc?
        >
        > Thanks for any info!
        >

        > Inea Arcur de Brabant

      • Grainne ingen Lugdach
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2011
          Just to add to the previous posts...

          Pennsic tends to draw at least 10,000 people over the two-week period. It's BIG.

          What do you like to do? There's probably some--okay, a lot--of it at Pennsic. I enjoy taking classes. I took 35 at Pennsic last year. And I didn't take all of the classes that interested me! I also like shopping. It's the best in the Known World.

          People travel from all over to Pennsic. I talked with some very nice ladies from Australia last year. Not Australians who live in the US, mind you...Australians who travel from Australia to Pennsic. :-) It's a great place to actually meet cyber-friends face-to-face.

          The advice to search for "Pennsic" at YouTube is good. Same goes for Flickr; you'll find tons of photos. The official Pennsic site, www.pennsicwar.org has maps of the site and lots of information. Pennsic.net (www.pennsic.net) has some outdated information, but gives a decent overview.

          Happy searching!

          Yours in service,
          Grainne ingen Lugdach
          Shire of Roxbury Mill, Altantia