Stefan's Florilegium article for March

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2011
      Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for March detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.

      Thank you to all who have taken the time to look at the ads when you visited the Florilegium and selected one or two. The Florilegium is completely supported by the ads that merchants are willing to run, along with a few donations. Unfortunately, I think because of folks using ad blocking programs, while the ad viewing count is going down, the number of hits on the site and the load on the servers is going up, so while the Florilegium breaks even, it is less and less each month..

      Lastly, if you have any suggestions, questions, comments or criticisms about the Florilegium, please feel free to email me. Due to employment and transportation problems, I am going to be unable to make it to Gulf Wars this year. So, for those who are able to go this year, please go by the Green Dragon and raise a toast to your friends who could not be there with you.

      Thanks,
      Stefan

      -------------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
      DV-Bld-o-Hros-art A dog's viewpoint of the 1999 Grimfells "Blood
      of Heros" event in Calontir, by Baroness
      Jenna of Southwind.
      In the CLOTHING section:
      Kilts-1590-art "More than you ever wanted to know about the
      kilt" by Lord Gregor Mac Beathain.
      In the FEASTS section:
      Hlvg-Fst-Csts-art "Rob Peter to feed Paul: halving feast costs"
      by Honour Horne-Jaruk.
      In the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section:
      Fun-w-Sugsr-srt "Fun with Sugar or Sweet Subtleties" by Lady
      Deirdre O'Bardon.
      In the NEWCOMERS section:
      Hand-Kissing-art "Ioseph of Locksley's Handy Guide to Cavalier
      Hand-Kissing".
      Persna-Devlop-art "Some Thoughts on Persona Development" by
      Domna Liutgard of Luxeuil (O.L.)
      In the SCA-EVENTS-PLANNING section:
      Demos-f-Chldn-art "Demonstrations for Children, Schools, Youth
      Groups" by mistress katherine kerr.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      hair-msg Period and SCA hairstyling and care.
      haggis-msg Scottish haggis recipes. comments on haggis.
      ham-msg Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
      ivory-msg Ivory carving. ivory substitutes.
      meat-smoked-msg Medieval smoked meats. Smoking meats.
      monks-msg Medieval monks and orders. Monk's clothing.
      P-history-msg Pennsic history.
      p-sex-msg Period thoughts on sex and sexual practices.
      p-tableware-msg Period tableware. Period references
      peacocks-msg Serving peacock sotelties safely.
      persimmons-msg Eating persimmons. Recipes. Where grown.
      SCA-reasons-msg The reasons various people joined the SCA.
      Scotland-msg Scottish culture. Who lived where. Medieval
      points of interest. The Orkney Islands.
      tea-msg Tea, cha. When it appeared in Europe.
      toys-msg Period and SCA toys.
      wood-bending-msg Period and modern methods for bending wood.
      ---
      Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

      <end>

      --------
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2012
        Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

        Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for March detailing what is
        new in the Florilegium this month.

        I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
        researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
        or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
        to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
        written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
        an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
        Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
        format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

        If you have previously sent me an article and it has not appeared in
        the Florilegium, please feel free to contact me. Sometimes email
        doesn't arrive, sometimes I just lose track of things, sometimes there
        are technical problems which with help from the original author can be
        resolved.

        I wasn't at Estrella or Lilies and I won't make Gulf Wars this year.
        If you enjoyed a class there and the teacher had a good handout or
        article, please encourage them to send it to me or email me with
        details and I will try to contact them. Possibly their knowledge and
        effort can then be enjoyed by others across the Known World.

        If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
        consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
        help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
        find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
        might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

        Thanks,
        Stefan
        -------
        A Blending of the Past and Present

        Over the past twenty-two years in an ongoing effort, I have been
        collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
        lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
        this information available to others, I have placed this information
        in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

        I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
        that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
        for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
        handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in

        THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

        Here are the new files for this month:
        In the ACCESSORIES section:
        hand-muffs-msg Period hand muffs. Hand warmers.
        In the ANIMALS section:
        hedgehogs-msg Hedgehogs in medieval Europe and in heraldry.
        In the CLOTHING section:
        leg-wraps-msg Period leg wraps. How to make or buy and wear
        them.
        In the CRAFTS section:
        Int-Pwtr-Cast-art "Intermediate Pewter Casting in Soapstone
        Beyond a Simple Site Token" by Baroness
        Giliana Attewatyr, OL.
        In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
        court-bingo-msg Something for those boring Courts, from
        Trimaris.
        In the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
        green-sauces-msg Period green sauces. Sauces of green herbs.
        In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
        breakng-t-pot-msg Period recipes where you are to break the pot
        to remove the food.
        In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
        gifts-4-bards-msg Gift ideas for bards and performers.

        Here are the updated files for this month.
        Atlantia-hist-msg Histories of the Kingdom of Atlantia.
        Balkans-msg Balkan history and culture. (Yugoslavia)
        blacksmithing-msg Blacksmithing, forges, tools.
        blancmange-msg A medieval rice dish composed principally of
        rice, almond milk
        and chicken.
        cl-Germany-msg Clothing of Medieval Germany.
        early-books-msg Early books. Construction, size.
        fundraising-msg Fundraising ideas for SCA groups.
        gums-resins-msg Period use of plant gums and resins. Myrrh,
        mastic,
        frankincense, camphor.
        herbs-msg Herbs used in period and how they were used.
        Modern sources.
        pancakes-msg Period pancakes and pancake-like foods.
        panforte-msg A medieval Italian, sweetened, spiced dessert
        bread similar to
        fruitcake or Lebkuchen.
        porridges-msg Period porridges and gruels.
        rapier-books-msg Period and modern books on rapier combat.
        sauces-msg Period sauces. Sauce recipes.
        theater-msg Period theater. SCA re-creations.
        veal-msg Period veal and veal recipes.
        ---
        Copyright 2012, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related

        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris