Re: [SCA Newcomers] New to SCA - Niagara Region

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2011
      1. Here is the newcomers guide for your kingdom:

      http://chatelaine.aethelmearc.org/php/newcomer/newcomer.php

      2. Here is the site for your local group:

      http://www.wnysca.org/phpwcms/index.php

      3. Here is your direct local contact:

      rhydhaelchat@...

      4. Here is a good friend of mine you can contact. Her name is Ekat. Tell her
      Liam sent you.

      ministeroflists @ wnysca.org

      5. You are also on the border of another kingdom, and there are some cool
      people there, too.

      Here is their welcome page:

      http://www.ealdormere.ca/Welcome.htm

      In service,
      Liam

    • Kyla
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2011
        Hello Kristia,
        And welcome to the SCA Newcomer's list and the SCA - you have already begun
        participating!

        Liam has given you some very specific and extremely useful links.
        Here are some more general newcomer resources:
        First, I suggest looking at the Society website: http://www.sca.org/
        In the upper right hand corner, there are a number of pages for newcomers,
        including things like how to figure out what kingdom/region/barony/shire
        you're in by your zip code, easy garb to make, some ideas about how to get
        started on building a persona, and things like that.
        This website is also where you can find things like the society rules for
        the various kinds of combat, and the society's goals.
        From here, you can find your kingdom website, which will have kingdom
        specific rules for fighting, and your local chatelaine/hospitaler or
        seneschal's contact information.

        Second, take a look at the files in this Yahoo lists' website:
        There are files on all sorts of things, from various kinds of clothing, or
        garb, to heraldry, to camping equipment lists.

        Third, Take a very LONG look at Stefan's Florilegium:
        http://www.florilegium.org/
        Stefan has collected thousands of articles on nearly every possible topic -
        there is sure to be something useful to you in there.
        In addition, Stefan is on this list - if you ask him, he will suggest
        articles related to your topic of inquiry.

        After you've spent some time looking at these resources, talk to your local
        chatelaine/hospitaler - the newcomer greeter, or seneschal - your chapter
        president.
        They can suggest other avenues of research, or local SCAdians who have
        similar interests.

        Don't forget your local library, as well as the extensive online libraries
        springing up all over the place these days.

        After all of that, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask on
        this list - these are some of the most helpful people in the SCA, and they
        would love to help you in any way they can!

        Tabitha Pennywarden
        Ravenslake, Midlands (Waukegan, Illinois)
        Middle Kingdom

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2011
          Thank you all so much for the responses! I've gotten in touch with Maeve and am planning on attending a thing on Tuesday! I look forwards to meeting all of you as I trump down this SCA road! Cheers! And thanks very much for all the links and things, I'm getting my read on!
        • Cailin Mac Kinnach
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2011
            Be sure to clear out the weekend of the 26th (of March). You've got a
            huge event in your back yard called Festival of the Passing of the Ice
            Dragon. It'll be a great chance to see the SCA at some of its finest,
            as this is both a big A&S event, and a high profile tournament for
            your kingdom. And, its in the Niagra area. Dunno if I'm going to be
            able to go this year or not, I hope to.

            Cailin, also of Aethelmearc