New to SCA - Niagara Region

  • Kristia
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2011
      Greetings!

      About a month ago, a friend of mine and I were talking about LARPS and the 'old days' when she mentioned SCA. I had never heard of it before but was instantly thrilled to hear about it and went searching online. I cannot wait to join the SCA and start getting involved!

      I'm just not quite sure where to start. I live in Niagara Falls and wasn't entirely sure who to contact or which website is updated to current events. I sent out a couple failed emails but I recently got a response from a fantasticaly helpful Lady that sent me to the Yahoo Groups! So I'd like to learn all that you can teach me about joining the SCA! And what's expected from new members, best way to get involved, or if there's any local people willing to give me a hand in joining and getting prepared for becoming a member!

      I greatly appreciate any and all advice/guidance/help.

      Sincerely,

      Kristia
    • Bill Toscano
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2011
        1. Here is the newcomers guide for your kingdom:

        http://chatelaine.aethelmearc.org/php/newcomer/newcomer.php

        2. Here is the site for your local group:

        http://www.wnysca.org/phpwcms/index.php

        3. Here is your direct local contact:

        rhydhaelchat@...

        4. Here is a good friend of mine you can contact. Her name is Ekat. Tell her
        Liam sent you.

        ministeroflists @ wnysca.org

        5. You are also on the border of another kingdom, and there are some cool
        people there, too.

        Here is their welcome page:

        http://www.ealdormere.ca/Welcome.htm

        In service,
        Liam

      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2011
          Hello Kristia,
          And welcome to the SCA Newcomer's list and the SCA - you have already begun
          participating!

          Liam has given you some very specific and extremely useful links.
          Here are some more general newcomer resources:
          First, I suggest looking at the Society website: http://www.sca.org/
          In the upper right hand corner, there are a number of pages for newcomers,
          including things like how to figure out what kingdom/region/barony/shire
          you're in by your zip code, easy garb to make, some ideas about how to get
          started on building a persona, and things like that.
          This website is also where you can find things like the society rules for
          the various kinds of combat, and the society's goals.
          From here, you can find your kingdom website, which will have kingdom
          specific rules for fighting, and your local chatelaine/hospitaler or
          seneschal's contact information.

          Second, take a look at the files in this Yahoo lists' website:
          There are files on all sorts of things, from various kinds of clothing, or
          garb, to heraldry, to camping equipment lists.

          Third, Take a very LONG look at Stefan's Florilegium:
          http://www.florilegium.org/
          Stefan has collected thousands of articles on nearly every possible topic -
          there is sure to be something useful to you in there.
          In addition, Stefan is on this list - if you ask him, he will suggest
          articles related to your topic of inquiry.

          After you've spent some time looking at these resources, talk to your local
          chatelaine/hospitaler - the newcomer greeter, or seneschal - your chapter
          president.
          They can suggest other avenues of research, or local SCAdians who have
          similar interests.

          Don't forget your local library, as well as the extensive online libraries
          springing up all over the place these days.

          After all of that, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask on
          this list - these are some of the most helpful people in the SCA, and they
          would love to help you in any way they can!

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands (Waukegan, Illinois)
          Middle Kingdom

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2011
            Thank you all so much for the responses! I've gotten in touch with Maeve and am planning on attending a thing on Tuesday! I look forwards to meeting all of you as I trump down this SCA road! Cheers! And thanks very much for all the links and things, I'm getting my read on!
          • Cailin Mac Kinnach
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7, 2011
              Be sure to clear out the weekend of the 26th (of March). You've got a
              huge event in your back yard called Festival of the Passing of the Ice
              Dragon. It'll be a great chance to see the SCA at some of its finest,
              as this is both a big A&S event, and a high profile tournament for
              your kingdom. And, its in the Niagra area. Dunno if I'm going to be
              able to go this year or not, I hope to.

              Cailin, also of Aethelmearc