Re: newbie :)

  • KarenI
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "i_love_latin" <restuart@...> wrote:

      > I've been wanting to join the SCA for a while now, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I know what group I'd be in and when they meet and all that, but beyond that, I don't know much about how to begin. Any good tips?
      >
      > Also, what do you think of the name Alanna Cooper-- would it be authentic, etc.?

      You need some garb, for sure. What sort depends on when you're from.

      As for your name, are you familiar with persona development? Here is one bit of information: http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/Persona%20development/personad.htm and here is another overview: http://www.dragonslaire.org/Newcomers%20Nook/persona_points.htm. Cariadoc's Miscellany has an article here: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html that has a lot of good questions.

      I am mostly Scandinavian, so I chose a Norse persona and looked for names from the time period my persona inhabits, ca. 975 - 1000. Names like 'Cooper' and 'Fuller' and 'Miller' are all occupational names, so that might help with your persona development.

      Eydís Gunnarsdóttir
    • Susan B. Farmer
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
        On 2/26/2011 10:47 PM, i_love_latin wrote:
        > I've been wanting to join the SCA for a while now, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I know what group I'd be in and when they meet and all that, but beyond that, I don't know much about how to begin. Any good tips?

        go to some meetings, etc. They should have some sort of calendar up on
        their web site. Fighter practice is often a good first start around
        here (I'm in southern Georgia in Meridies) because lots of folks turn
        out. Fighter practices are often held in public places for the specific
        purpose of attracting attention and potential newcomers. In my home
        barony, we designated one fighter practice a month as the Demo/Fighter
        Practice -- and everybody turned out in their finery and brought their
        arts projects with them.

        Do you have an idea about the kinds of things that you want to do in the
        SCA yet? Are you a costume junkie, or like embroidery or like to cook
        -- or just like to people watch and make some awesome friends?

        Lots of other things like names, persona, etc. can wait a while. If you
        go to a "Full, Formal Event" you will need something to wear -- but your
        group may very well have a Gold Key. Until you decide when and where
        you want to be *primarily* from, a simple tunic or two will suffice
        quite nicely. (and no, you don't have to stick to one time and/or
        place. Jerusha started out in Tudor England, has now moved to Florence,
        Italy (and not changed the name -- you don't have to do that if/when you
        change personas), but can mostly be found in Viking Garb of late because
        she hasn't learned how to draft patterns to make the Spiffy Italian
        Stuff that she has fabric for!

        > Also, what do you think of the name Alanna Cooper-- would it be authentic, etc.?

        My neice is named Alanna. :-D You can *call* yourself anything that
        you want. Some folks recommend against choosing a name and persona
        right off the bat -- get your feet wet, and make sure you "are" who you
        "want to be" first. You can, however, only register a Period Name with
        the college of heralds. The advantage in registration is that nobody
        else can be you. There's only one other Jerusha in the SCA (and I
        finally have made her acquaintance via the internet), but there can be
        no other folks named Jerusha Kilgore.

        Time and place (should you choose to go that route) can make a very big
        difference in the name you choose. If you want a Viking Persona with a
        Viking name, then no, Alanna Cooper wouldn't work. If you're looking at
        Late Period English, you might be just fine.

        Take some time, and get your feet wet. Above all else, HAVE FUN!

        jerusha (who was once The New People person!)
        --
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
          <<< I've been wanting to join the SCA for a while now, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I know what group I'd be in and when they meet and all that, but beyond that, I don't know much about how to begin. Any good tips? >>>

          You might wish to look through the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium at: http://www.florilegium.org

          This is a website I've been working on for about 20 years and it now contains about 2300 different files on a wide-variety of SCA and medieval subjects.

          If you can give us an idea of what brings you to the SCA, perhaps we can fill you in with some details or point you to some sources for more information. Are you interested in putting on armor and fighting? Are you into sewing or other needlecrafts? Are you into cooking? Perhaps bardcraft or playing an instrument? As you may already realize, all of these are done in the SCA.

          If your email name is correct and you do like Latin, then there are a lot of folks who would like to make use of your skills in translating English to Latin for things like mottoes.

          For instance, in the HERALDRY section of the Florilegium:
          mottoes1-msg (113K) 10/25/00 Latin mottoes for SCA use.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/mottoes1-msg.html

          Stefan

          --------
        • i_love_latin
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Susan B. Farmer" <sfarmer@...> wrote:

            > On 2/26/2011 10:47 PM, i_love_latin wrote:
            > > I've been wanting to join the SCA for a while now, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I know what group I'd be in and when they meet and all that, but beyond that, I don't know much about how to begin. Any good tips?
            >
            >(I'm in southern Georgia in Meridies)

            Oh really? I'm in northern Georgia in Meridies. Although I'm at university in Aethelmearc.

            > Do you have an idea about the kinds of things that you want to do in the
            > SCA yet? Are you a costume junkie, or like embroidery or like to cook
            > -- or just like to people watch and make some awesome friends?

            I wouldn't mind doing some arts and crafts sorts of things, but I think primarily I want to focus on the fighting arts. I've always wanted to be a knight.

            > > Also, what do you think of the name Alanna Cooper-- would it be authentic, etc.?
            > >
            > Time and place (should you choose to go that route) can make a very big
            > difference in the name you choose. If you want a Viking Persona with a
            > Viking name, then no, Alanna Cooper wouldn't work. If you're looking at
            > Late Period English, you might be just fine.

            I've looked all over the SCA website, especially at the persona kinds of things, so I've been thinking about it for a while. I was debating for a long time between a Roman/Byzantine Empire sort of persona and a Elizabethan/Renaissance-y persona. I think the decision was made when I realized I'd have to have a period Roman name, and women's names weren't so interesting...
          • i_love_latin
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011

              > <<< I've been wanting to join the SCA for a while now, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I know what group I'd be in and when they meet and all that, but beyond that, I don't know much about how to begin. Any good tips? >>>
              >
              > You might wish to look through the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium at: http://www.florilegium.org

              I saw the link to Florilegium on another post, and I've been looking through it. It's so much, I don't know where to start! But it's very useful, thanks.

              > If you can give us an idea of what brings you to the SCA, perhaps we can fill you in with some details or point you to some sources for more information. Are you interested in putting on armor and fighting? Are you into sewing or other needlecrafts? Are you into cooking? Perhaps bardcraft or playing an instrument? As you may already realize, all of these are done in the SCA.

              I definitely want to do the fighting arts, as I mentioned. I play the flute and sing, so I would definitely be interested in music as well. Do people make period instruments and everything? That could be very interesting.

              > If your email name is correct and you do like Latin, then there are a lot of folks who would like to make use of your skills in translating English to Latin for things like mottoes.

              I do like Latin--all ancient languages, really. I'm in the process of learning Greek and Sanskrit in my (very small) free time. Translating definitely sounds like fun.
            • Susan B. Farmer
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 27, 2011
                On 2/27/2011 8:34 PM, i_love_latin wrote:

                > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Susan B. Farmer"<sfarmer@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> On 2/26/2011 10:47 PM, i_love_latin wrote:
                >>> I've been wanting to join the SCA for a while now, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I know what group I'd be in and when they meet and all that, but beyond that, I don't know much about how to begin. Any good tips?
                >>
                >> (I'm in southern Georgia in Meridies)
                >>
                > Oh really? I'm in northern Georgia in Meridies. Although I'm at university in Aethelmearc.

                Now how cool is that! There are some very active groups in north
                Georgia. There's not a lot between Kennesaw and Dalton -- but from
                Kennesaw to Athens and south to Macon/Warner Robbins is full of SCA folks.

                >> Do you have an idea about the kinds of things that you want to do in the
                >> SCA yet? Are you a costume junkie, or like embroidery or like to cook
                >> -- or just like to people watch and make some awesome friends?
                >
                > I wouldn't mind doing some arts and crafts sorts of things, but I think primarily I want to focus on the fighting arts. I've always wanted to be a knight.

                Go for it! :-D In fact, Sir Kytte, the first female Meridian night is
                from the Greater Atlanta Metropolitan Area (tm).

                >>> Also, what do you think of the name Alanna Cooper-- would it be authentic, etc.?
                >>>
                >> Time and place (should you choose to go that route) can make a very big
                >> difference in the name you choose. If you want a Viking Persona with a
                >> Viking name, then no, Alanna Cooper wouldn't work. If you're looking at
                >> Late Period English, you might be just fine.
                >>

                > I've looked all over the SCA website, especially at the persona kinds of things, so I've been thinking about it for a while. I was debating for a long time between a Roman/Byzantine Empire sort of persona and a Elizabethan/Renaissance-y persona. I think the decision was made when I realized I'd have to have a period Roman name, and women's names weren't so interesting...

                Go for what floats your boat!

                jerusha
                --
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                Division of Science and Math
              • jjpjjp123
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 28, 2011
                  Alanna Cooper, huh? You have a husband named George and a daughter named Aly? :-P

                  I took Latin for two years. :-) I am not very fluent, but I do remember some and I've got my Latin-English dictionary.

                  Kathryn of Kiel

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 28, 2011
                    Allana replied to me with:
                    <<< I saw the link to Florilegium on another post, and I've been looking through it. It's so much, I don't know where to start! But it's very useful, thanks. >>>

                    It can be a lot of material. That's why I originally suggested starting with the NEWCOMERS section. If you have a suggestion on how I can make the site easier to use or less overwhelming, I'd love to hear your suggestions.

                    I'm always interested in getting more useful information to add to the site if you see something missing or see an article somewhere you think I ought to contact the author and see about adding.

                    <<< I definitely want to do the fighting arts, as I mentioned.>>>

                    Rapier or armored combat? Or perhaps combat archery? We have women participating in all of these. These two files in the COMBAT section might be of particular interest to female fighters:
                    f-fighters-msg (37K) 1/23/01 Protective gear for female fighters.
                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/f-fighters-msg.html

                    Fightng-Small-art (24K) 2/19/99 "Fighting for those of Small Stature" by Centurion Romanius Vesperanius.
                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/Fightng-Small-art.html

                    <<< I play the flute and sing, so I would definitely be interested in music as well. Do people make period instruments and everything? That could be very interesting. >>>

                    Some people do make period instruments and some people play period instruments. Some do both. However, you can start with a modern instrument and move to making or playing period instruments if you wish. Check out some of the files in the Florilegium PERFORMANCE ARTS section. For instance:
                    flutes-msg (37K) 9/29/99 Period flutes and whistles. Shawms.
                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/flutes-msg.html

                    On-Vocal-Perf-art (10K) 11/15/08 "On Vocal Performance" by Mathurin Kerbuss.
                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/On-Vocal-Perf-art.html

                    p-songs-msg (28K) 5/23/08 Period songs and song lyrics.
                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/p-songs-msg.html

                    <<< I do like Latin--all ancient languages, really. I'm in the process of learning Greek and Sanskrit in my (very small) free time. Translating definitely sounds like fun.>>>

                    Part of me looks at you in awe. The other part thinks you are crazy. :-)
                    In the EDUCATION section of the Florilegium:
                    languages-msg (88K) 9/ 5/09 Sources for learning Anglo-Saxon, Latin.
                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/EDUCATION/languages-msg.html

                    Warning: the SCA can very easily use up that "(very small) free time" you now have available.

                    Stefan
                    --------
                  • i_love_latin
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 28, 2011
                      > It can be a lot of material. That's why I originally suggested starting with the >NEWCOMERS section. If you have a suggestion on how I can make the site easier to use or >less overwhelming, I'd love to hear your suggestions.

                      Oh, I found it very easy to navigate--I felt like I wanted to read everything at once! I am definitely finding the newcomers section immensely helpful, so thanks very much.

                      > Rapier or armored combat? Or perhaps combat archery? We have women participating in all of these. These two files in the COMBAT section might be of particular interest to female fighters:
                      > f-fighters-msg (37K) 1/23/01 Protective gear for female fighters.
                      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/f-fighters-msg.html
                      >
                      > Fightng-Small-art (24K) 2/19/99 "Fighting for those of Small Stature" by Centurion Romanius Vesperanius.
                      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/Fightng-Small-art.html

                      This last one is going to be particularly helpful--I'm only 5'4"! I was thinking of mostly armored combat and archery, though I might like to do rapier, too.
                    • i_love_latin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "jjpjjp123" <jjpjjp123@...> wrote:

                        > Alanna Cooper, huh? You have a husband named George and a daughter named Aly? :-P
                        >
                        > Kathryn of Kiel

                        Maybe.....*shiftyeyes* ;)