Re: [SCA Newcomers] How big of a vehicle...

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
      Part of my issue is that I always bring at least three cases of beer to
      Pennsic so I can trade with my out-kingdom buddies and get stuff I cannot
      get here or in Pennsylvania.

      On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Grainne ingen Lugdach <
      grainneinatlantia@...> wrote:

      > I can pack for two weeks at Pennsic in my Dodge Caliber. Now, I *don't*
      > transport my pavilion (it stays in my household's on-site storage trailer),
      > but I *do* overpack in most every other aspect. So it probably balances out.
      > :-)
      >
      > If you have a period-style pavilion--or think you might be buying one in
      > the next few years--you'll want something that can accommodate the poles.
      > Fold-down back seats can be VERY handy. What you *do* at events also
      > determines how much space you need. Do you have to take along armor? Archery
      > equipment? An inkle loom? You'll need to be able find room for those things,
      > too.
      >
      > Hope that helps a bit!
      >
      > Slan,
      > Grainne ingen Lugdach
      > Clan Oldcastle
      > Shire of Roxbury Mill
      > Atlantia
      >

      > --- On Fri, 2/18/11, robeargw_2000 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >
      > I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is
      > going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.
      >
      > How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking
      > to balance size with gas mileage of course. :)
      >
      > Thanks!

    • invertedarcher
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 7, 2011
        That depends on how comfortable you want to be.
        The first war I went to was a Southern Crusades (here in AZ) in November. I hadn't EVER been camping, and the person who invited me told me it would be "freezing". I apparently didn't fully comprehend what he meant, because I showed up with a pup tent, a twin air bed, and 2 blankets. At night it was 27F!! I was sleeping on the airbed which was directly on the ground, and I froze my tuckus off. Ended up sleeping in my CAR it was so cold. In the 2 years since then I have gotten smart and comfy. I now have a 9x16" tent, a propane tent heater, a canopy, 8 foot tables, a 0 degree F sleeping bag, about 8 quilts, rugs for the floor of the tent, a tent toilet so I don't have to use the Privy's at night, and camp stove/cooking stuff. I went from stuffing it all in the back of my Ford Escape to loading my 4x8 trailer to come to events!
        And I don't bring much! LOL
        It's not the size of your vehicle.... it's the size of your TRAILER :)
        To pull level 2 (up to 3000#) you need at least a Ford Escape.