Re: [SCA Newcomers] How big of a vehicle...

  • Bambi TBNL
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
      You need to measure your longest piece of equipment , whether it is a tentpole or a bed ril o post and firgure out the logistica of transporting that. If your get a nice sturdy vehicle with a roof rack and a hatchback.. You might be ok. For instanve nesting trunks and your squosshies on bags give you a lot of ppacking opions and then storage and seating opions at your event.
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
        I have a kia sorrento, and I sell jewelry, it is just me but I carry all my gear
        plus 10 x 10 e-z up show tent, lots of jewelry  containers, large ones and have
        room to spare, how many people would you be talking and do you have a luggage
        rack on top?

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
          <<< I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.

          How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking to balance size with gas mileage of course. :) >>>

          Alex the Brewer responded with:
          << Basically, your stuff will expand to fill whatever vehicle you get. >>

          Very true. In my 20+ years in the SCA I've also seen that, generally, the longer someone is in the SCA, the bigger their vehicle gets.

          I started out with a compact car, a Toyota Corolla hatchback. Then added a small trailer. When I got married we moved up to mini-vans and for Gulf Wars, we would stuff the van and add a rooftop carrier. When we added another driver to help with the long drive, we started pulling a 5x7 U-haul box trailer with the mini-van with the rooftop carrier.

          But even for a weekend overnight event it is now common for us to haul a 17 x 17 pavilion, a four-poster bed, rugs, table and chairs and several trunks full of clothing and accessories.

          Perhaps these files in the TRAVEL section and PENNSIC section of the Florilegium might be useful.

          SCA-transport-msg (29K) 2/15/10 Typical and unusual SCA vehicles and transportation.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/SCA-transport-msg.html

          SCA-by-train-msg (18K) 9/15/08 Traveling to SCA events by train.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/SCA-by-train-msg.html

          Fly-2-Pennsic-msg (22K) 5/14/07 Flying to and from Pennsic and other events.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Fly-2-Pennsic-msg.html

          And in the STRUCTURES section:
          tent-transprt-msg (10K) 12/27/01 Transporting tents and pavilions.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-transprt-msg.html

          Stefan

          --------
        • Bill Toscano
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
            Alex: I just checked Silverwing's Laws, and "Your stuff will expand to fill
            whatever vehicle you get." is not there.

            I think I am gonna drop Steve a note.

            Liam

            http://www.schuldy.org/laws.html

          • Susan B. Farmer
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
              On 2/19/2011 7:19 PM, Bill Toscano wrote:
              > Alex: I just checked Silverwing's Laws, and "Your stuff will expand to fill
              > whatever vehicle you get." is not there.

              Wait, what? How did that get left off the list!

              :-D

              Jerusha in Meridies
              --
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
                I can pack for two weeks at Pennsic in my Dodge Caliber. Now, I *don't* transport my pavilion (it stays in my household's on-site storage trailer), but I *do* overpack in most every other aspect. So it probably balances out. :-)

                If you have a period-style pavilion--or think you might be buying one in the next few years--you'll want something that can accommodate the poles. Fold-down back seats can be VERY handy. What you *do* at events also determines how much space you need. Do you have to take along armor? Archery equipment? An inkle loom? You'll need to be able find room for those things, too.

                Hope that helps a bit!

                Slan,
                Grainne ingen Lugdach
                Clan Oldcastle
                Shire of Roxbury Mill
                Atlantia

                --- On Fri, 2/18/11, robeargw_2000 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.

                How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking to balance size with gas mileage of course. :)

                Thanks!

              • Bill Toscano
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
                  Part of my issue is that I always bring at least three cases of beer to
                  Pennsic so I can trade with my out-kingdom buddies and get stuff I cannot
                  get here or in Pennsylvania.

                  On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Grainne ingen Lugdach <
                  grainneinatlantia@...> wrote:

                  > I can pack for two weeks at Pennsic in my Dodge Caliber. Now, I *don't*
                  > transport my pavilion (it stays in my household's on-site storage trailer),
                  > but I *do* overpack in most every other aspect. So it probably balances out.
                  > :-)
                  >
                  > If you have a period-style pavilion--or think you might be buying one in
                  > the next few years--you'll want something that can accommodate the poles.
                  > Fold-down back seats can be VERY handy. What you *do* at events also
                  > determines how much space you need. Do you have to take along armor? Archery
                  > equipment? An inkle loom? You'll need to be able find room for those things,
                  > too.
                  >
                  > Hope that helps a bit!
                  >
                  > Slan,
                  > Grainne ingen Lugdach
                  > Clan Oldcastle
                  > Shire of Roxbury Mill
                  > Atlantia
                  >

                  > --- On Fri, 2/18/11, robeargw_2000 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  >
                  > I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is
                  > going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.
                  >
                  > How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking
                  > to balance size with gas mileage of course. :)
                  >
                  > Thanks!

                • invertedarcher
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 7, 2011
                    That depends on how comfortable you want to be.
                    The first war I went to was a Southern Crusades (here in AZ) in November. I hadn't EVER been camping, and the person who invited me told me it would be "freezing". I apparently didn't fully comprehend what he meant, because I showed up with a pup tent, a twin air bed, and 2 blankets. At night it was 27F!! I was sleeping on the airbed which was directly on the ground, and I froze my tuckus off. Ended up sleeping in my CAR it was so cold. In the 2 years since then I have gotten smart and comfy. I now have a 9x16" tent, a propane tent heater, a canopy, 8 foot tables, a 0 degree F sleeping bag, about 8 quilts, rugs for the floor of the tent, a tent toilet so I don't have to use the Privy's at night, and camp stove/cooking stuff. I went from stuffing it all in the back of my Ford Escape to loading my 4x8 trailer to come to events!
                    And I don't bring much! LOL
                    It's not the size of your vehicle.... it's the size of your TRAILER :)
                    To pull level 2 (up to 3000#) you need at least a Ford Escape.