Re: [SCA Newcomers] How big of a vehicle...

  • Alex Flinsch
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 18, 2011
      On Feb 18, 2011, at 9:44 PM, robeargw_2000 wrote:

      > I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.
      >
      > How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking to balance size with gas mileage of course. :)
      >
      > Thanks!

      The amount of junque one hauls to a weekend event really depends on what you are interested in doing, and what kind of gear you have.

      just hanging around, small tent, 1-2 garb changes, pretty much any economy car will do

      fighting, medium size tent, extra garb, lots of food, beer etc - small wagon will do fine

      2 tents, pavillion, 2 sets of armor, real furniture, your entire blacksmith shop, food for the entire army....

      When I was single, and going to events alone, I had a VW Golf, and it worked well.

      Now that I am married with a wife, 2 college aged kids, and a 6 year old who all come along to events it takes me 2 trips in my Outback to get the tents the 10x10 popup and most of the furniture & adult beverages setup. My wife comes along later with the youngster, the rest of the food and garb in either the other Outback or the full sized Mercury Grand Marquis. Later the 2 older kids come along in whatever vehicle my wife did not use along with their personal stuff.

      Basically, your stuff will expand to fill whatever vehicle you get.

      --
      Alex the Brewer
    • bronwynmgn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 18, 2011
        <<I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.

        How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking to balance size with gas mileage of course. :)>>

        Well, that really depends n how you want to play SCA. If you are into historical accuracy and want a big pavilion and a full-size bed and your armor etc, then you could easily end up with a minivan. My husband and I had a minivan and trailer just for two people; now it;s for three people since we have a 6-year-old.

        On the other hand, you could easily get a small car and use a modern nylon tent and a couple of duffle bags. I even knew someone who decided on a car by taking the ridge pole of his A-frame tent with him to make sure it would fit; he ended up with a fairly small car.

        Lancaster, PA

        .

      • Bambi TBNL
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
          You need to measure your longest piece of equipment , whether it is a tentpole or a bed ril o post and firgure out the logistica of transporting that. If your get a nice sturdy vehicle with a roof rack and a hatchback.. You might be ok. For instanve nesting trunks and your squosshies on bags give you a lot of ppacking opions and then storage and seating opions at your event.
[...]

          [Non-text portions of thi
        • Caoilinn Trotter
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
            I have a kia sorrento, and I sell jewelry, it is just me but I carry all my gear
            plus 10 x 10 e-z up show tent, lots of jewelry  containers, large ones and have
            room to spare, how many people would you be talking and do you have a luggage
            rack on top?

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
              <<< I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.

              How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking to balance size with gas mileage of course. :) >>>

              Alex the Brewer responded with:
              << Basically, your stuff will expand to fill whatever vehicle you get. >>

              Very true. In my 20+ years in the SCA I've also seen that, generally, the longer someone is in the SCA, the bigger their vehicle gets.

              I started out with a compact car, a Toyota Corolla hatchback. Then added a small trailer. When I got married we moved up to mini-vans and for Gulf Wars, we would stuff the van and add a rooftop carrier. When we added another driver to help with the long drive, we started pulling a 5x7 U-haul box trailer with the mini-van with the rooftop carrier.

              But even for a weekend overnight event it is now common for us to haul a 17 x 17 pavilion, a four-poster bed, rugs, table and chairs and several trunks full of clothing and accessories.

              Perhaps these files in the TRAVEL section and PENNSIC section of the Florilegium might be useful.

              SCA-transport-msg (29K) 2/15/10 Typical and unusual SCA vehicles and transportation.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/SCA-transport-msg.html

              SCA-by-train-msg (18K) 9/15/08 Traveling to SCA events by train.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/SCA-by-train-msg.html

              Fly-2-Pennsic-msg (22K) 5/14/07 Flying to and from Pennsic and other events.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Fly-2-Pennsic-msg.html

              And in the STRUCTURES section:
              tent-transprt-msg (10K) 12/27/01 Transporting tents and pavilions.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-transprt-msg.html

              Stefan

              --------
            • Bill Toscano
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
                Alex: I just checked Silverwing's Laws, and "Your stuff will expand to fill
                whatever vehicle you get." is not there.

                I think I am gonna drop Steve a note.

                Liam

                http://www.schuldy.org/laws.html

              • Susan B. Farmer
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
                  On 2/19/2011 7:19 PM, Bill Toscano wrote:
                  > Alex: I just checked Silverwing's Laws, and "Your stuff will expand to fill
                  > whatever vehicle you get." is not there.

                  Wait, what? How did that get left off the list!

                  :-D

                  Jerusha in Meridies
                  --
                  Susan Farmer
                  sfarmer@...
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
                    I can pack for two weeks at Pennsic in my Dodge Caliber. Now, I *don't* transport my pavilion (it stays in my household's on-site storage trailer), but I *do* overpack in most every other aspect. So it probably balances out. :-)

                    If you have a period-style pavilion--or think you might be buying one in the next few years--you'll want something that can accommodate the poles. Fold-down back seats can be VERY handy. What you *do* at events also determines how much space you need. Do you have to take along armor? Archery equipment? An inkle loom? You'll need to be able find room for those things, too.

                    Hope that helps a bit!

                    Slan,
                    Grainne ingen Lugdach
                    Clan Oldcastle
                    Shire of Roxbury Mill
                    Atlantia

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
                      Part of my issue is that I always bring at least three cases of beer to
                      Pennsic so I can trade with my out-kingdom buddies and get stuff I cannot
                      get here or in Pennsylvania.

                      On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Grainne ingen Lugdach <
                      grainneinatlantia@...> wrote:

                      > I can pack for two weeks at Pennsic in my Dodge Caliber. Now, I *don't*
                      > transport my pavilion (it stays in my household's on-site storage trailer),
                      > but I *do* overpack in most every other aspect. So it probably balances out.
                      > :-)
                      >
                      > If you have a period-style pavilion--or think you might be buying one in
                      > the next few years--you'll want something that can accommodate the poles.
                      > Fold-down back seats can be VERY handy. What you *do* at events also
                      > determines how much space you need. Do you have to take along armor? Archery
                      > equipment? An inkle loom? You'll need to be able find room for those things,
                      > too.
                      >
                      > Hope that helps a bit!
                      >
                      > Slan,
                      > Grainne ingen Lugdach
                      > Clan Oldcastle
                      > Shire of Roxbury Mill
                      > Atlantia
                      >

                      > --- On Fri, 2/18/11, robeargw_2000 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      >
                      > I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is
                      > going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.
                      >
                      > How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking
                      > to balance size with gas mileage of course. :)
                      >
                      > Thanks!

                    • invertedarcher
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 7, 2011
                        That depends on how comfortable you want to be.
                        The first war I went to was a Southern Crusades (here in AZ) in November. I hadn't EVER been camping, and the person who invited me told me it would be "freezing". I apparently didn't fully comprehend what he meant, because I showed up with a pup tent, a twin air bed, and 2 blankets. At night it was 27F!! I was sleeping on the airbed which was directly on the ground, and I froze my tuckus off. Ended up sleeping in my CAR it was so cold. In the 2 years since then I have gotten smart and comfy. I now have a 9x16" tent, a propane tent heater, a canopy, 8 foot tables, a 0 degree F sleeping bag, about 8 quilts, rugs for the floor of the tent, a tent toilet so I don't have to use the Privy's at night, and camp stove/cooking stuff. I went from stuffing it all in the back of my Ford Escape to loading my 4x8 trailer to come to events!
                        And I don't bring much! LOL
                        It's not the size of your vehicle.... it's the size of your TRAILER :)
                        To pull level 2 (up to 3000#) you need at least a Ford Escape.