Re: [SCA Newcomers] How big of a vehicle...

  • Chuck Burke
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 18, 2011
      I've just purchased a new vehicle for my wife - while I don't expect to
      have the use of it for SCA events in the next year or two, the thought
      was in my mind, especially since she wanted something up off the
      ground. So, she now has a Kia Sorento SUV.

      Pertinent to your question, while I've not been to many major events, I
      have done a couple of camping events, as well as Ice Dragon with a
      passenger, and here's what I've found myself carrying:

      Solo, 3-night camping event:
      2-man nylon "wart" style modern tend - takes up about 3' x 9" x 9" in
      the car, very space efficient, but not even close to period-looking
      1 16 gallon tote box with feast gear, pans, utensils, spices and other
      "kitchen" items
      1 16 gallon tote box with garb
      1 bedroll and pillow
      1 folding cot
      1 golf-bag sized bag with fencing gear
      1 folding chair
      1 cooler
      1 or 2 bags/boxes of foodstuff

      This all fits rather nicely in my 99 Lumina sedan

      Last year for Ice Dragon, I was traveling with a friend who requires
      some specialized medical equipment, and a walker. This was an indoor
      event, and we were crashing at a friend's house and had to provide
      sleeping gear for crashing on the floor.
      Myself:
      fencing bag (smaller than the above bag back then
      satchel-type bag with garb and minimal feasting gear
      laptop bag
      folding chair and blanket to cover
      bedroll
      pillow

      My friend:
      tote box of garb
      tote box with food and utensils for personal dayboard
      small cooler
      folding chair
      folding table
      satchel-sized bag of medical equipment
      folding walker

      I consider this travelling light, especially for my friend who is a 25
      year SCA veteran - I think he sacrificed in order to get everything in
      the car. When he and I have camped together, we have filled his large
      pickup truck.

      Not a totally accurate yardstick, but gives you a starting point.

      Dragos Pelikanos
      "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

      On 2/18/2011 9:44 PM, robeargw_2000 wrote:
      > I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.
      >
      > How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking to balance size with gas mileage of course. :)
      >
      > Thanks!

    • Alex Flinsch
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 18, 2011
        On Feb 18, 2011, at 9:44 PM, robeargw_2000 wrote:

        > I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.
        >
        > How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking to balance size with gas mileage of course. :)
        >
        > Thanks!

        The amount of junque one hauls to a weekend event really depends on what you are interested in doing, and what kind of gear you have.

        just hanging around, small tent, 1-2 garb changes, pretty much any economy car will do

        fighting, medium size tent, extra garb, lots of food, beer etc - small wagon will do fine

        2 tents, pavillion, 2 sets of armor, real furniture, your entire blacksmith shop, food for the entire army....

        When I was single, and going to events alone, I had a VW Golf, and it worked well.

        Now that I am married with a wife, 2 college aged kids, and a 6 year old who all come along to events it takes me 2 trips in my Outback to get the tents the 10x10 popup and most of the furniture & adult beverages setup. My wife comes along later with the youngster, the rest of the food and garb in either the other Outback or the full sized Mercury Grand Marquis. Later the 2 older kids come along in whatever vehicle my wife did not use along with their personal stuff.

        Basically, your stuff will expand to fill whatever vehicle you get.

        --
        Alex the Brewer
      • bronwynmgn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 18, 2011
          <<I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.

          How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking to balance size with gas mileage of course. :)>>

          Well, that really depends n how you want to play SCA. If you are into historical accuracy and want a big pavilion and a full-size bed and your armor etc, then you could easily end up with a minivan. My husband and I had a minivan and trailer just for two people; now it;s for three people since we have a 6-year-old.

          On the other hand, you could easily get a small car and use a modern nylon tent and a couple of duffle bags. I even knew someone who decided on a car by taking the ridge pole of his A-frame tent with him to make sure it would fit; he ended up with a fairly small car.

          Lancaster, PA

          .

        • Bambi TBNL
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
            You need to measure your longest piece of equipment , whether it is a tentpole or a bed ril o post and firgure out the logistica of transporting that. If your get a nice sturdy vehicle with a roof rack and a hatchback.. You might be ok. For instanve nesting trunks and your squosshies on bags give you a lot of ppacking opions and then storage and seating opions at your event.
[...]

            [Non-text portions of thi
          • Caoilinn Trotter
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
              I have a kia sorrento, and I sell jewelry, it is just me but I carry all my gear
              plus 10 x 10 e-z up show tent, lots of jewelry  containers, large ones and have
              room to spare, how many people would you be talking and do you have a luggage
              rack on top?

              ________________________________
              I've just purchased a new vehicle for my wife - while I don't expect to
              have the use of it for SCA events in the next year or two, the thought
              was in my mind, especially since she wanted something up off the
              ground. So, she now has a Kia Sorento SUV.

              Pertinent to your question, while I've not been to many major events, I
              have done a couple of camping events, as well as Ice Dragon with a
              passenger, and here's what I've found myself carrying:

              Solo, 3-night camping event:
              2-man nylon "wart" style modern tend - takes up about 3' x 9" x 9" in
              the car, very space efficient, but not even close to period-looking
              1 16 gallon tote box with feast gear, pans, utensils, spices and other
              "kitchen" items
              1 16 gallon tote box with garb
              1 bedroll and pillow
              1 folding cot
              1 golf-bag sized bag with fencing gear
              1 folding chair
              1 cooler
              1 or 2 bags/boxes of foodstuff

              This all fits rather nicely in my 99 Lumina sedan

              Last year for Ice Dragon, I was traveling with a friend who requires
              some specialized medical equipment, and a walker. This was an indoor
              event, and we were crashing at a friend's house and had to provide
              sleeping gear for crashing on the floor.
              Myself:
              fencing bag (smaller than the above bag back then
              satchel-type bag with garb and minimal feasting gear
              laptop bag
              folding chair and blanket to cover
              bedroll
              pillow

              My friend:
              tote box of garb
              tote box with food and utensils for personal dayboard
              small cooler
              folding chair
              folding table
              satchel-sized bag of medical equipment
              folding walker

              I consider this travelling light, especially for my friend who is a 25
              year SCA veteran - I think he sacrificed in order to get everything in
              the car. When he and I have camped together, we have filled his large
              pickup truck.

              Not a totally accurate yardstick, but gives you a starting point.

              Dragos Pelikanos
              "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

              On 2/18/2011 9:44 PM, robeargw_2000 wrote:
              > I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is going
              >on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.
              >
              > How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking to
              >balance size with gas mileage of course. :)
              >
              > Thanks!

            • Stefan li Rous
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
                <<< I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.

                How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking to balance size with gas mileage of course. :) >>>

                Alex the Brewer responded with:
                << Basically, your stuff will expand to fill whatever vehicle you get. >>

                Very true. In my 20+ years in the SCA I've also seen that, generally, the longer someone is in the SCA, the bigger their vehicle gets.

                I started out with a compact car, a Toyota Corolla hatchback. Then added a small trailer. When I got married we moved up to mini-vans and for Gulf Wars, we would stuff the van and add a rooftop carrier. When we added another driver to help with the long drive, we started pulling a 5x7 U-haul box trailer with the mini-van with the rooftop carrier.

                But even for a weekend overnight event it is now common for us to haul a 17 x 17 pavilion, a four-poster bed, rugs, table and chairs and several trunks full of clothing and accessories.

                Perhaps these files in the TRAVEL section and PENNSIC section of the Florilegium might be useful.

                SCA-transport-msg (29K) 2/15/10 Typical and unusual SCA vehicles and transportation.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/SCA-transport-msg.html

                SCA-by-train-msg (18K) 9/15/08 Traveling to SCA events by train.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/SCA-by-train-msg.html

                Fly-2-Pennsic-msg (22K) 5/14/07 Flying to and from Pennsic and other events.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Fly-2-Pennsic-msg.html

                And in the STRUCTURES section:
                tent-transprt-msg (10K) 12/27/01 Transporting tents and pavilions.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-transprt-msg.html

                Stefan

                --------
              • Bill Toscano
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
                  Alex: I just checked Silverwing's Laws, and "Your stuff will expand to fill
                  whatever vehicle you get." is not there.

                  I think I am gonna drop Steve a note.

                  Liam

                  http://www.schuldy.org/laws.html

                • Susan B. Farmer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
                    On 2/19/2011 7:19 PM, Bill Toscano wrote:
                    > Alex: I just checked Silverwing's Laws, and "Your stuff will expand to fill
                    > whatever vehicle you get." is not there.

                    Wait, what? How did that get left off the list!

                    :-D

                    Jerusha in Meridies
                    --
                    Susan Farmer
                    sfarmer@...
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
                      I can pack for two weeks at Pennsic in my Dodge Caliber. Now, I *don't* transport my pavilion (it stays in my household's on-site storage trailer), but I *do* overpack in most every other aspect. So it probably balances out. :-)

                      If you have a period-style pavilion--or think you might be buying one in the next few years--you'll want something that can accommodate the poles. Fold-down back seats can be VERY handy. What you *do* at events also determines how much space you need. Do you have to take along armor? Archery equipment? An inkle loom? You'll need to be able find room for those things, too.

                      Hope that helps a bit!

                      Slan,
                      Grainne ingen Lugdach
                      Clan Oldcastle
                      Shire of Roxbury Mill
                      Atlantia

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 19, 2011
                        Part of my issue is that I always bring at least three cases of beer to
                        Pennsic so I can trade with my out-kingdom buddies and get stuff I cannot
                        get here or in Pennsylvania.

                        On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Grainne ingen Lugdach <
                        grainneinatlantia@...> wrote:

                        > I can pack for two weeks at Pennsic in my Dodge Caliber. Now, I *don't*
                        > transport my pavilion (it stays in my household's on-site storage trailer),
                        > but I *do* overpack in most every other aspect. So it probably balances out.
                        > :-)
                        >
                        > If you have a period-style pavilion--or think you might be buying one in
                        > the next few years--you'll want something that can accommodate the poles.
                        > Fold-down back seats can be VERY handy. What you *do* at events also
                        > determines how much space you need. Do you have to take along armor? Archery
                        > equipment? An inkle loom? You'll need to be able find room for those things,
                        > too.
                        >
                        > Hope that helps a bit!
                        >
                        > Slan,
                        > Grainne ingen Lugdach
                        > Clan Oldcastle
                        > Shire of Roxbury Mill
                        > Atlantia
                        >

                        > --- On Fri, 2/18/11, robeargw_2000 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                        >
                        > I'm not about to go out and BUY a new car just for the SCA, but my car is
                        > going on 200k miles so I might as well think about it.
                        >
                        > How much stuff does one take for weekend events for one person? I'm looking
                        > to balance size with gas mileage of course. :)
                        >
                        > Thanks!

                      • invertedarcher
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 7, 2011
                          That depends on how comfortable you want to be.
                          The first war I went to was a Southern Crusades (here in AZ) in November. I hadn't EVER been camping, and the person who invited me told me it would be "freezing". I apparently didn't fully comprehend what he meant, because I showed up with a pup tent, a twin air bed, and 2 blankets. At night it was 27F!! I was sleeping on the airbed which was directly on the ground, and I froze my tuckus off. Ended up sleeping in my CAR it was so cold. In the 2 years since then I have gotten smart and comfy. I now have a 9x16" tent, a propane tent heater, a canopy, 8 foot tables, a 0 degree F sleeping bag, about 8 quilts, rugs for the floor of the tent, a tent toilet so I don't have to use the Privy's at night, and camp stove/cooking stuff. I went from stuffing it all in the back of my Ford Escape to loading my 4x8 trailer to come to events!
                          And I don't bring much! LOL
                          It's not the size of your vehicle.... it's the size of your TRAILER :)
                          To pull level 2 (up to 3000#) you need at least a Ford Escape.